Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My first rat. Comments plz!

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Kelsie, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Kelsie

Kelsie PetForums Newbie

On Saturday I brought home my very first rat. His name is Aro. The people at the pet shop didn't know how old he was, but he's still a juvie, not full grown yet.
    He was a bit nervous on the ride home of course, but then seemed to settle right in. He's very calm and pleasantly curious, kind of lazy, but alert. I can tell he really enjoys being handled and he will readily take treats from my fingers. Yesterday I was rubbing him between the ears and his eyes were drifting shut.
    I've only had him for a few days, and he doesn't run from me when I pick him up or anything. He still poops when I hold him, I'm his first real owner, but other than that he seems happy.
    Lemme know whatcha think! I'd love to hear from rat people on here.

2. u-look-like-a-hamster

u-look-like-a-hamster PetForums VIP

Im sorry to say, but if your rat is on his own he will become depressed you need to buy him a friend ASAP.

He will become depressed and even though he might not show it he will be miserable :/

xx

3. Kelsie

Kelsie PetForums Newbie

I guess I should have mentioned that my brother got one too, and I live with him 5 days a week, as I'm a live-in nanny for his girls right now. The two rats get along great and love to cuddle, and when I'm move on from babysitting I will be getting a second one of my own :) thanks!

4. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

It's good that he has a friend, though a constant companion would probably be best.

5. Kelsie

Kelsie PetForums Newbie

They live in the same cage all day and night for 5 days. When they're not together, my buddy has a HUGE cage with all kinds of stuff to mess around with on the weekends. I know its not the same, but it'll only be a couple of weeks until I'm done with this job and I can get another one. I truly love him and I'm not one to think of my own wants before my rat's.

(my nephew wants to see how the smileys are used so just ignore the rest...he's 4)

:001_tt2:

6. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

Sounds like you are taking excellent care of him. :)

7. Kelsie

Kelsie PetForums Newbie

Thank you!!! Thats what I was going for! lol. I truly LOVE all animals...I used to be a boa/tarantula/scorpion/centipede type person, so I decided once I got into mammals that I should get the easiest thing I could think of, since it was unfamiliar with me. Rats seemed to be the easiest and now since my brother recommended them to me, I'M IN LOVE! I couldn't be happier with my selection, because Aro is really the lil guy for me. And I know that when I bring another lil guy in, he'll be as much a member of my lil family as Aro is. I'm very excited to get him a permanent buddy. And to be honest, I feel more at home with Aro than I have with any of my past companions and I feel like I've found THE perfect pet for me.
    I'm a compassionate person and I want my animals to be happy. If it takes any sacrifice from me, then I'm willing to do it. I know how people can be on these forums, because I used to be a part of a strictly reptile/invertabrate forum somewhere else (2000+ posts). I know that all you guys care about is the well-being of these beautiful little creatures and I have enourmous respect for that. I know I'm still 'in training' when it comes to furry guys but I'm trying to do my best. I pour my heart out to all animals, and no matter what that animal might be, I'm willing to learn enough to help them, no matter what situation they might be in. <33333

8. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

I agree, a rat would definitely be more capable of showing you affection then a boa, tarantula, scorpion or centipede. :D

9. sayj

sayj PetForums Member

It's great that you chose a rat as a pet as they are wonderful:D As soon as you get a chance ,please get him a companion, I know you are at your brothers 5 days a week, but when you take him away for the other two, he will miss his mate and pine for him.
    Again I'm sure you are doing your best to give him a loving home and keeping him occupied, so keep up the good work:D

10. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

I agree with Sayj. They need a constant companion, taking him away every week will just disorientate him. I only have one single male because he doesn't get on with any other males, and

I've found that when I take one male out of the big group after a while they'll start sniffing round for him and chewing the bars to get him back . If they do thatafter half hour or so, what'll they be like after a couple of days?

Otherwise, sounds like your doing well :) enjoy your rat! I have 22 and they're awesome little critters ^_^

Peace
    Akai-Chan

11. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

i assume from what you say that your brother's rat is also alone? He will need a companion too.

Rats are pretty intelligent so they may deal well with being moved about abit and only seeing one another during the week quite well but it's not the best scenario, especially if you are going to stop doing it soon. The sooner you introduce new friends the better it will be for them. Although rats can be introduced at any time, if it's a lone rat who's never had a constant companion you may find that he won't tolerate a baby rat as well as one nearer his own size, and the baby rat will suffer. If you introduce new companions to both rats now they will be close in size and may take to each other better.

Introducing new rats who aren't related early on tends to give them a good attitidue towards it for later on when you want to build your colony up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice