UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive only been breeding for a short few years, but today ive experienced my first loss of a kitten.

When my girls are due they sleep, and spend as much time with me as possible. I put my heart and soul into each and every life I bring into this world.

Again as in previous births ive sat on the bedroom floor in the middle of the night to give encouragement, love and help when needed and last night was no different.

At 4am this morning Lilly went into labour with her first litter. Her first kitten born was small but ok, the second little mite was born deformed and its breathing not good. Kittens 3, 4 & 5 little whoppers.

Sadly the second little kitten passed away quietly without so much of a meow. Ive been so upset today at the passing of this poor little boy.

I know as a breeder I was bound to come across the death of a kitten at some point but it makes it no less painful.

hope you all dont mind me sharing this as I know it happens the world over but felt a little down over it today.

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
poor little boy, being deformed sadly he had no chance but its not easy having a kitten die so very young.
you have done everything possible with love and care and each kitten is very special, i know when i lost my kitten at 2 days old it broke my heart so i understand how sad you are feeling.
glad the other kittens are doing well and mum is ok.
rip little baby.

·
Registered
14,207 Posts
It hard isn't it? HUGS I experienced this with my very first litter - huge deformed boy was the first one out - I left him and didn't try to revive him and I still feel guilty - but he wouldn't have lived anyway. It is sad and hard though.

My thoughts are with you.

·
Registered
242 Posts
God bless him carry him to the rainbow bridge. My heart goes out to you as it must be difficult pill to swallow. Hugs x

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hi i had a litter last year of 8 one of mine was born deformed and sadly passed away....it's natures way although very sad and upsetting. 3 more of the smaller ones died over a period of 3 days i tryed putting them on mums nipples and holding them there which seemed to be for ever up ever hour trying to supplement them, but nature does it's thing i cryed for days and still cry whenever i lose a baby this is the worst thing i find about breeding, you never get use to it. Dont beat yourself up.;)

I have babies due in 2 days and still get anxious.

·
Registered
434 Posts
So sorry for your loss, Iv had quite a few pass away whilst in my care through rescuing, but now il be breeding for the first time soon and i cant imagine how you all feel, so sad! :(

·
Administrator
35,970 Posts
I'm so sorry that you have lost a kitten Sharon :( RIP tiny newborn kitty :(
It is hard and I know, having lost one from Mai Tai's first litter, you sit there thinking there must have been something you could have done when your head knows that there was nothing to be done :(
Hope you're feeling better soon and enjoy the little ones you have ((()))

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Sorry for your loss. Mother nature is indeed a hard task master and the fact you feel the way you do demonstrates to all you are a caring breeder who has the best interests of your cats at heart. Our first experience at breeding was a loss when our girl had one stillborn kitten.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
So sorry for your loss - had my first litter of British shorthairs seven weeks ago, one of which was born deformed and didnt make it - it was really hard and upsetting and I am still not sure if I want to breed again - but thank you for sharing your experience when you said you had been breeding a few years before it happened to you it made me think that perhaps I was just unlucky for a first litter and that it may not happen to me next time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.