Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My first hamster!

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by rainbow.nicola, Aug 11, 2009.

1. rainbow.nicola

rainbow.nicola PetForums Member

I found petforums while researching on Hamsters recently, After a good couple days of ordering things, reading books and looking at about 100 websites.

I finally went and adopted a little 6-8 week old Syrian Hamster, Her name was Orca when i got her but i changed it to Popcorn, as it is something we both enjoy very much!

She's very cute and extremely fast! I have a big door at the top of the cage and when i open it she plans her escape (although not a very clever idea with the cat stalking my bedroom door for her)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

=]

2. FREE SPIRIT

FREE SPIRIT PetForums VIP

Hiya and welcome :D
    Cute hamster and lovely pics. :D

3. TabbyRoad

TabbyRoad Banned

She is just beautiful! I have thought about getting a hamster or guinea pig but I'd be a bit terrified with 2 cats and an over zealous dog in the house :D

4. ....zoe....

....zoe.... PetForums VIP

she is a very cute hamster indeed. good luck with her. make sure all doors are closed (and cat is out) ! also go around your floor and block any holes that you find that go down into the floor boards as if she did escape then she cant go under the floor boards and never be found again :)

hope that helps

5. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

She is an adorable hamster, I have three cats and 6 hamsters and none of the hamsters are even slightly frightened of the cats:eek:

6. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

Very cute
    She looks a bit like my Blackie :D

7. rainbow.nicola

She's quite timid at times with being picked up, i tend to get a bit of her food and hand it to her so she will get used to my hand in the cage! The first time she saw the cat she froze but since then she seems to ignore the cat but the cat can't be trusted in the room as she goes straight up to the cage and im abit worried she will knock the cage over, ( we have a little food bin on the kitchen side and she knocks that over as she knows thats how to get into it)

We also have a dog in our home, she is quite spoiled, i put Popcorn in her ball and the dog runs away from her and behind me!

Popcorn seems to be settling in okay and other than the stalking cat everything is super, i just need a quiet wheel!!!

Im also surprised she hasn't bit me! I always thought thats what they did, as you seem to be invading their territory! :]

Thank you for all the welcomes!

8. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

If the wheel is squeaking rub a bit of vaseline on the axel... a small drop of vegetable oil works too

9. rainbow.nicola

Its not squeeking i think the wheel is abit loose so as the hamster is running its slanting alittle and scraping off the axel, its hard to explain. It came with the cage, i was thinking about a silent spinner, i will have a look tonight at reviews and such and decide then!

Thanks though, it was squeeking when i got it but i put some vaseling on it.

10. thedogsmother

Just to warn you, a brand of wheel, oh I can't remember the name of it (someone help please its that bluey green one) was notorious for the axle breaking and some hamsters were injured when it happened while they were using it. Silent spinners are great but get the large one as they soon grow out of the medium ones, I prefer the Wodent wheel but they are very hard to get hold of at the moment.

11. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

You dont mean a savic rolly do you??
    I use them and so far they are ok but i will keep an eye on them

12. thedogsmother

Yes thats it, I have one for Xander but I'm just checking it regullarly till I can get hold of another Wodent Wheel.

13. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

Glad you told me.. Thanks

14. ....zoe....

....zoe.... PetForums VIP

glad you told me that too, can tell my boss in work and get them taken off the shelves or something like that.

15. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

If any of mine break i'm going to tell p@h!! :mad:
    I will want a refund! lol :mad::D

16. zany_toon

zany_toon PetForums VIP

Welcome to the forum!! And also for joining my minority - there aren't many Scottish people on the rodent section!
    Popcorm is a cutie, well done you!

17. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

18. rainbow.nicola

I've not been on this in ages! Poor little popcorn passed away a few weeks ago, she was in her bed so I assume she went in her sleep. <3

I decided last week since I have the big cage and everything that I would adopt a new little friend so I went on the SSPCA website for my nearest Animal Rehoming Centre and found Sparks, He's an older male Gerbil and he's on his own, so I'm going to go and adopt him tomorrow and give him a home to live out his twilight years, spoil him a little :)

Yay!

19. thedogsmother

So sorry to hear about Popcorn, run free at the bridge little one. Its a lovely idea to adopt Sparks but gerbils cant live in cages safely hun, they ideally need tanks or failing that a zoozone type cage, they chew their way out of almost any hamster type cage.

20. rainbow.nicola

I was actually thinking about that lastnight. This is the cage I have at the moment -

[​IMG]

I'm going to pick Sparks up today & move him into this cage at the moment then I think I'm going to order this one -

[​IMG]

I haven't totally decided yet. I am wanting to get another Hamster though at some point. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice