Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My first beagle

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Wifey1989, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Wifey1989

Wifey1989 PetForums Newbie

Hi all,
    I use to have dogs when I was young but this is my first since leaving home. I’ve adopted an gorgeous 9 month old beagle male. Now from reading other posts I am incredibly lucky he’s rather mild mannered, quirky and so loving he doesn’t destroy and he’s pretty much house trained ( I think his accidents are just because my homes new to him they are getting less each day) we have only had him a couple days so I’m hoping all the minor worry’s I have are just due to the massive change he’s been through. But I’d like to nip it in the bud before it becomes habit and harder to change.
    I have 2 main concerns and a couple things I’d like to ask advice for. The first is he seems to have anxiety when I leave. I did get a stair gate to keep him in the back dining room, kitchen and bathroom he has his bowls, toys and a bed there when I leave along with classical music playing. (These are the rooms with hard flooring, no fabrics and the least likely to upon barking affect the neighbours. But he was able to jump the gate and howl at the door. He only howls for about 10-20 mins ( I can listen in on my Alexa) but he sounds rather stressed out and I worry I’ll start getting complaints. I got a few good puzzle toys today and a defuser that’s meant to help with anxiety. So will pop to the shops tomorrow and see how they work. But I was wondering if anyone had any tips that might make my leaving less emotional for him?
    The second is meal times for us. He is obviously ruled by food and our meal times have become stressful. If he’s in the same room he won’t stop trying to get our food and if we separate him he howls so I’m shovelling my food down and not spending that quality time with my family. Any tips to make it more harmonious would be greatly appreciated.
    Also any advice on the best vet plans would also be great. I’d like to get him checked out and make sure I don’t miss any treatments. I’d also like to consider neutering. So any advice on that would be fantastic
    Sorry for the long post, I really want to make sure he settles in well the move to me was very sudden for him, he didn’t know me and I want to make sure I’m looking after him as best as I can. As you can see by the pic he seems to be rather chilled out and at home

Attached Files:

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

cba

#2 Lurcherlad, Mar 3, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    AsahiGo and niamh123 like this.
  3. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome:)

4. Wifey1989

I’d love to be able to not leave him but unfortunately I can’t be at home 24/7 I have to do school runs (my child is still young he has to be collected from the classroom and dogs are not allowed on school property) food shops and I do work a couple days a week. Due to my partners shifts overlapping The most he will be left is about 4&1/2 hours twice a week 45 mins the rest of the week. It would be lovely to be able to stay at home with him but its not possible which is why I asked for any tips that might make it a calmer experience for him
    I’ve managed to solve the gate jumping and I have an appointment with vets4pets on Friday to give him a check up.

5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

cba

#5 Lurcherlad, Mar 4, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  6. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Can you take him with you on the school run? Also this will get him used to being in the car, if needs be and sometimes being left in a car (safely) can be a good intro to being left; a lot of dogs feel safer in the smaller confines of a vehicle.

7. Wifey1989

Well I can’t take time off... I wasn’t expecting to get him as sudden as I did. It’s great you would do that but not everyone is in the same situation and need advice rather then just being spoken down to. I’m doing my best in the circumstances I have been given. Forget it, I was after some help and advise not to be made to feel like crap. I’m not perfect but I am trying my best to give him a happy home.

I can’t take him on to school run as not allowed to take him on school property and I don’t feel comfortable with tying him up outside, he does seem fine when I’ve popped to the shops though and left him in the car. So I’ll bear that in mind thank you. I’m sure I’ll figure it out and he will settle in to his home and routine soon enough. However I don’t feel petforums is the right place for me. Take care all

AsahiGo and Linda Weasel like this.
  8. AsahiGo

AsahiGo Guest

No one was speaking down to you at all, or critiquing your pet ownership.

Dogs are stressful; its a total lifestyle change. When I first adopted mine I was a nervous wreck - my posts on this forum would make me cringe now!

There's a lot of experienced people with great advice on here, it's been a game changer for me

Separation anxiety is horrible, for dog and owner but it does get better.

9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice