Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

my female just had babies

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Hollyjade, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Hollyjade

Hollyjade PetForums Newbie

hey, just last night my female cat gave birth to 4 kittens, she's doing great and the male cat who lives with us is the father, she comes out of her birthing box every so often to come and say hey but he just growls at her since she had the babies, but before even when she was pregnant he was super loving and affectionate, now he doesn't want anything to do with her or the kittens, he just stays away and isolates himself, the female has never been vicious or harmful to him, she even wanted him to come in the birthing box, why is he acting like this and how do I fix it?

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

You don't fix it - you do not want the male in with the female and her kittens.

Keep him away, his instincts are telling him to stay away.

Do you plan to have these two neutered now?

3. Hollyjade

Hollyjade PetForums Newbie

Yes, but the mother wants him in there, she keeps meowing for him and running up to lick him and play, I don't want him to upset her by not wanting to play with her anymore, when the kittens grow will he go back to wanting to play with her?

4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Keep them separate. Take him, now, and have him neutered. Continue to keep him away from the mother and kittens after neutering.

When the kittens are almost weaned, take her in and have her spayed. When the kittens are big enough (2 pounds) take them in and have them spayed and neutered.

Until the mother has been spayed, do not let the male near her, or the kittens.

simplysardonic, Rafa, buffie and 3 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice