Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My dogs refusing to walk with only me ?? Help

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Aliceevans, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Aliceevans

Aliceevans PetForums Newbie

I was wondering if anyone could help me and my dog as she just won’t walk with me at all but will walk with everyone else in the family, and I am the only one home to be able to walk her. Everyday she refuses to walk and I don’t want to hurt her or make her not trust me by forcing her out, at first she’s excited to walk then when we get onto the pavement she stops and sits down. However about a month back I was walking her and she got attacked from behind by another big dog and it was terrifying, wondering if this has anything to do with the refusing to walk or if anyone has any tips and can explain ? Thanks

2. Beth78

Beth78 PetForums VIP

I think the scary incident was probably was the trigger for her not wanting to walk with you.

When I had this problem with my dog the only thing that worked was alot of treats and patience.

At first she would only go as far as the front gate, but every day she went further and everytime she did she got a tasty treat and a "good girl".

There were days when she had set backs but that is part of the process.

If it means sitting on the pavement and giving her praise and treats for a while that will go along way to your dog trusting you and the world again.

It might take a while but she will get there with kindness and patience.

All the best.

SusieRainbow and Ian246 like this.
  3. Aliceevans

Aliceevans PetForums Newbie

Thank you so much I will work with her on getting further and making sure she’s comfortable walking with me :)

Beth78 likes this.
  4. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums VIP

I’d say, chances are, that it has everything to do with that. She clearly wants to go for a walk which is why you get the initial excitement, but dogs don’t really think that far ahead and it seems only when she gets to the pavement (or close to it) that her fear is rekindled. Sadly, in her mind, you are part of the source of her fear which is why she will go with other people. And/or she may have lost confidence in your ability to protect her, It’s not your fault, but she likely associates the attack with a combination of you and that place. Had she been with another family member they would have the problem, not you. You are absolutely right that forcing her is the wrong thing to do.

So, what’s to do? Some of the other good folks may have some ideas, but here are a few initial thoughts: The key, I think, is trying to re-establish in her mind that walks with you can be fun and don’t necessarily involve being attacked. You could try bribing her with treats (especially if she’s food focused) to take her mind off the memory, as Beth suggests. Or for a while could you drive her somewhere else to walk? It may just take a little time to get over the issue and to learn to associate yourself with ‘nice’ walks again. Will it just work if you carry her a little way beyond the scene of the incident? That does, however, depend on her reaction if or when you try...and also how big she is (if she’s a St Bernard or a Rottweiler, that’s clearly not a possibility!) If she remains fearful as you carry her past ‘the place’ it may not work, but she might feel safe. If it’s possible for someone else to walk her, and you tag along, you might be able to show (again) that it’s OK when you are around.

How long ago was the incident? It may be that she just needs more time to get over it. In such a case (depending on her nature) you may be able to just play games in the garden (if you have one) - again showing her that life can be fun with you.

5. Beth78

Beth78 PetForums VIP

It's such a shame that one incident that could have been prevented (by the owner of the "rude" dog) can have such an impact on your dogs life.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice