Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My dogs keeps licking her paws

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Amanda119, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Amanda119

Amanda119 PetForums Newbie

My dog won’t stop licking her paws. They are now all swollen, red and skin is broken on 2.
    It started about 6 months ago. The vet said it was anxiety and gave her ‘Prozac’
    It didn’t help.
    He then said it was an infection, put her on antibiotics. After the first months supply of antibiotics there was no improvement. He did some tests and said she had strep and a staph infection and gave her more antibiotics.
    She’s been on antibiotics for over 4 months now, no improvement; it just keeps getting worse.
    I’m sure most people can agree that vets are not cheap and with almost 6 months worth of medications and several visits, I was hoping someone could give some advice thats maybe been through something similar; so I could possibly give the vet some ideas on what our next steps could be when we go back this week.
    Also, I already changed her food to a grain-free, hypo-allergenic; also no improvement.
    I’ve read a lot about soaking dogs feet in apple cider vinegar & water but I think that would hurt/sting her, as she has open sores on 2 paws now.
    Any help would be super appreciated.
    My dog is a pitbull and I’ve had bad luck in the past with other vets; this guy is super nice to her so I was hoping not to switch vets but 6 months with no results and a lot of money spent is getting pretty discouraging.
    Thanks so much!!!

Attached Files:

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Try antihistamines? It might be an allergy to something she's walking on. Could be grass, the floor cleaner you use, any number of things. With Piriton, my vet said give 1/4 of a human tablet per 10 kg of dog.

Calvine and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Ouch! Poor baby :(

Along with the meds I would be inclined to put Sudocrem on to soothe (cover with a sock to stop her licking it off) as I’ve had good results with that when Jack licked his tail sore when his AG’s were troublesome.

Look also at environmental triggers.

Soap powder, softener (use non bio), cleaning products, air fresheners, any latex she can touch, plants, crops, insecticide sprays, salt on roads, mites, etc.

Has an invasive grass seed been ruled out?

Would anti inflammatory/pain meds help to break the cycle?

If anxiety, have you identified what could be upsetting her?

Calvine likes this.
  4. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Poor baby that looks really sore:(

Not the same but our last dog had red patches on her tummy and kept licking them, turned out to be the floor cleaner I was using.

Calvine and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. Emma Jayne

Emma Jayne PetForums Member

My Staffy is an obsessive paw licker she always has been took her to the vets to rule out numerous things including infections, we've noticed she does it when she's trying to relax we usually try to move her from licking and biting her paws to licking and biting a toy and then rewarding for using the toy instead of her paw.
    Hope this helps slightly.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. Kirstyanneanne

Kirstyanneanne PetForums Junior

My Westie used to lick His Paws-the Paw pads mainly- as they were extremely dry. I tried a cream which was very good BUT Terriers do have a determination which is possibly not in Their interests and He just licked it off, if I could get it on in the First Place!!!!!!!. More recently I have been putting Scottish Salmon Oil in His Dinner along with a very little Organic Virgin Coconut Oil.His Paws are no longer dry and His Coat looks much better too. I do hope that this is useful.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice