Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My dogs in pain

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Josh1990, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Josh1990

Josh1990 PetForums Newbie

So I was playing with a tennis ball with my dog in the garden when I threw the ball he chased it then when he tried to pick it up he yelped really loud and when I tried to check his mouth as I opened it he yelped and his tail went in as he was scared and he ran in the house, I tried to feed him and he wants to eat but he doesn’t want to open his mouth too wide so he was nibbling on the food. Any help?

2. shirleystarr

shirleystarr PetForums VIP

I would take him to the vet see what is wrong

3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

If he won’t open his mouth he needs to see a vet.

Hopefully, he has by now.

tabelmabel and margy like this.
  4. danielled

danielled Guest

Needs a vet.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. DanWalkersmum

DanWalkersmum watching the world go by

Ha he been stung? Loads of unsavoury insects about. I agree the vet needs to be consulted, could need treatment.

Lurcherlad, tabelmabel and niamh123 like this.
  6. Woah

Woah PetForums Member

Exactly the same symptoms my dog had three weeks back. Thought he’d been stung in mouth too initially as first yelped whilst in garden. He yelped in pain on opening mouth any further than a few inches, couldn’t yawn or pick up his ball etc. First couple of days winced and yelped if touched his face. Spent hundreds at vets investigating including full general anaesthetic and blood tests for masticatory Muscle Myostitis. But all inconclusive or negative and vet ended up saying likely to have been a TMJ strain (temporal mandibular joint) possibly caused from playing tug or something. I think was probably strained knowing on one of his raw bones as he had quite a few that week. All resolved itself after 10 days. He had anti inflammatories and doggie paracetamol to get by with. Hope he feels better soon.

7. Woah

Woah PetForums Member

P.s it swelled very slightly first day too on one side with a little heat. I used cool packs on it which he seemed to appreciate.

8. DanWalkersmum

DanWalkersmum watching the world go by

Sounds like the answer to your problem Josh - didn't know that could happen :Nurse

9. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Highlights the fact the dog needs a vet as others had suggested...
    Could be the same as your dog, or a sting or the onset of MMM which really isn't nice. No one can say for sure but medication at least for inflammation and pain relief must be necessary.

10. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

paracetamol (acetominophen) is toxic to dogs. Saying "doggie" in front of it does not make it okay. I doubt this is what your vet gave your dog. If you don't know what the product was, it is more responsible and a lot safer to use the term pain medicine as a general term, as someone might read this and think it is okay to give paracetamol to a dog, since you said your vet did.

11. lullabydream

Pardale v is commonly subscribed to dogs for a variety of reasons, so too the suggestion of using children's Calpol. A paracetamol based product.

Am sure in dire straits a vet of the phone could give you the amount of human paracetamol for your dog to relieve pain if you haven't anything else. Let's be fair most people cling on to bottles of metacam and the like but once opened they have a 6 month expiry date.

Telling an op that doggy paracetamol is wrong when paradale is licensed for animals, and prescription free meaning in the UK anyone can buy it as long as you state certain information about your pet.

If the OP had stated ibruprofen then I would absolutely agreeing with you. But paracetamol no, not at all. I would never recommend using what we have in most households. As I say a lot of vets recommend Calpol but not sure if that's because dogs take it better too.

O2.0, niamh123 and margy like this.
  12. Woah

Woah PetForums Member

The bottle didn’t come with a brand name on it but was from vets and is definitely paracetamol based as they said so. The only thing that it may be called is oardale which is part of the printed off prescription label with dosing instructions. I said doggie paracetamol because this is what it was - from the vets prescribed for my dog, not human medication. Hope that makes clearer.

O2.0, lullabydream and Lurcherlad like this.
  13. Woah

Woah PetForums Member

Having looked again at bottle think it may say pardale as don’t think their printer very good at printing the tails of letters! So that would fit with what lullabyedream says often prescribed. Sorry for any confusion there.

lullabydream likes this.
  14. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Huh. I stand corrected. I'm quite shocked, though.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  15. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Reena was sent home with a bottle of Calpol after her spinal surgery.

lullabydream likes this.
  16. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

When Floyd cut an artery in his front leg he was sent home with Metacam for 3 days and a small bottle of Calpol to give him if he needed it:)

lullabydream likes this.
  17. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I tend to agree though that suggesting on a pet forum to administer “Doggie paracetamol, calpol, even Piriton” should come with the suggestion of checking with a vet for safety/dose if you don’t know - just in case someone reaches for the human medicine cupboard without thinking.

niamh123, DaisyBluebell, O2.0 and 4 others like this.
  18. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I do believe Paracetamol is highly toxic to cats though.

19. lullabydream

I always thought the same too. Cats are very sensitive to many medicines dogs are prescribed. This is why vets when printing labels always state animal such as dog, cat etc..well this was my logical thoughts on the reasoning. Just to clarify for people. A bit like us humans should never give prescribed medicines to anyone else.

margy and MontyMaude like this.
  20. lullabydream

Absolutely however in @Woah case they just mentioned this, which many people do. So I hope they don't feel like that they have said something wrong at all.

In my case I just wanted to point out that paracetamol based medication is used regularly for dogs. Emergency vets will and do suggest the safe dosage if they deem a dog needs pain relief, however they deem it's not a total emergency and can wait for the morning. Such as they would give the dose for piriton too over the phone.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice