Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My dogs health

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Jade Brown, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Jade Brown

Jade Brown PetForums Newbie

Hi not sure if anyone can help but my cavalier william has heart failure hes 9 1/2 years old he has had murmer since the age of 5 but had no symptoms untill may this year which was his lungs filling up with fluid he is on diuretics and has been in and out of the vets a few times when the tablets dont work quick enough but so has a injection instead but hes always been eating and happy but unfortunately he now has ascites the vets has now but him on furosemide 40mg three times a day aswell as torsemide 3 times a day which i think is way to high but i understand why hes back to the vets monday if his belly has not gone down it will be drained i was wondering what complications come with this and how quickly it can return and if im being cruel by not putting him to sleep its just hes still eating and very happy and playful

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

My old dog Poppy had a belly full of liquid due to an undisclosed liver problem so had it drained in the vets . Her belly was huge and swollen and no adverse effects from this happening to her the procedure is quite simple if you get fluid in the abdomen.

Am not suggesting your dog has a liver problem. Ascites can happen for many reasons. So please do not panic thinking it's something else going wrong.

3. Jade Brown

Hi thank you for your reply the vet thinks its his heart that is the reason for it building up its only when i mentioned about him having it drained he didnt seem so keen on the idea i know my little boy hasn't got long left but at the moment he still seems happy just wanted to make sure if i did this to him im not being cruel

4. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

I would see what the vet suggests.
    My dachshund developed heart failure 10 days ago with no history of a murmur, but she was 15.
    We took her to the emergency vet with severe breathing diffiultiies, the vet said she could treat the fluid in her lungs with diuretics but it woul recur within a few weeks.
    Due to her age, the fact she also had mammary cancer recurring after surgery, and her age we decided to let her go.
    If your vet feels that William could have a good result from this procedure you might want to try it and take it from there. If he's still enjoying life it could give him a few happy months , but I think you have to prepare yourself that the improvement may well be temporary.
    Sorry you're going through this, specially at this time of year.

Lurcherlad and lullabydream like this.
  5. Jade Brown

Hi thank you for your reply sorry to hear about your dog x im prepared that its only short term in fairness i thought might lose him a few times this year but hes a little fighter and has Remained happy and had a good appetite all the way through his illness bless him and hes still good now apart from the laying down i just dont wamt to leave it too late that hes in pain but for now i think hes still ok

6. SusieRainbow

Staff Member

If it's any help to you Tango made it pretty clear that she'd had enough that night, she was tired and unable to fight any more. We'd had some difficult times over the preceding months but she kept bouncing back , this last time she just couldn't.
    If William still seems happy enjoy him for a while longer , then let him go when he's had enough.
    Keep coming back, we're here for you when you want support.

7. Jade Brown

Thank you so much sorry to go on but have you heard of a a dog being put on 5mg torsemide 3 times a day aswell as furosemide 40mg 3 times a day aswell as having to restrict water just seems a crazy amount of water pills x

8. SusieRainbow

Staff Member

Yes, it does sound a lot. You need to discuss the dose with your vet and be prepared for some puddles !;)
    And do please, feel free to ask questions and share thoughts, that's why we're here.:)

lullabydream likes this.
  9. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

Sorry I don`t have any specific advice just wanted to say I am sorry you are going through this. If your vet is happy to continue with treatment and William still seems to be enjoying life then that is a good guide. best wishes to you and William

10. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I cant give you an informed answer on the drug dose but why not discuss it with your vet. It could be that he is just throwing everything possible at your dog in the hope of clearing the fluid. Fingers crossed it works at least long enough to get Christmas and New Year over. Such a bad time for decisions.

11. Jade Brown

Hes only put him on them for the next couple of days to see of we can avoid the draining of his stomach but still thought ot was alot as since he started the tablets in may he has sort of become resistant to them thats why we changed to torsemide in the end but hes picked up resistance to them as well he only seems to to take to the injections for some reason i have told the vets this but they dont really listen to me he still wees alot but not as much as you would think with the amount of water tablets hes on x obviously i know the longer they are on these tablets they can to damage to the kidneys so i expect him to have a bit of damage x i just got a bit annoyed with the vets as i mentioned his belly had got huge a month ago and they said it was fat but now because he cant lay down they have decided its fluid which i thought it was a month ago x

12. Jade Brown

Yeah i think thats what he is doing i only wondered as William did struggle through the summer months as its been so hot this year but the vet said he was on tje highest amount he could give him and at that time it was just 3 x 5mg doses of torsemide x it is horrible i dont ever want to lose him but i know im going to but just be nice to have one last Christmas together hes honestly the best little boy in the world i dont have kids myself and dont personally want them so William is mine and my husband's little baby so we will both be lost when hes gone x

13. Jade Brown

Thank you for your reply i do really hope we get one last Christmas together x

14. Bugsys grandma

Bugsys grandma PetForums VIP

Hi there, like @3dogs2cats im afraid I have no advice or opinions re the drugs and dosage etc, but what I want to say is, you've had your lad a long time, you know him better than anyone, definitely listen to your vets advice and take on board what they say and advise , but I suspect you will know when William has had enough. So so sorry you're facing this, it's so hard when they are poorly. My thoughts are with you and your dear little lad.

15. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

It's kinder to use the bodies natural ability to get rid of the fluid

My Cleo has got congestive heart failure and her dose currently *fingers crossed* has really helped her. From what my vet said she may need extra dose or some other diuretic in the future too.

She only got diagnosed in April, so it was quite a shock to us all.

Once the fluid is removed if by the vet so be it, it should help your dog because fluid in the stomach effects breathing. So if your dog is ok, they will feel much better!

Lurcherlad likes this.
  16. Jade Brown

17. Jade Brown

Thank you yeah hes had problems breathing in the past when its been building on his lungs but this time on the belly is hasnt got to that stage i know this means both sides of his heart have problems would be nice to see an improvement come tomorrow so he doesn't need to have it drained x

18. Jade Brown

T
    Thank you so much for your reply nice to have people to talk to that love there dogs as much as i do as some of my family have said im wasting my money on him as hes not getting better but to me aslong as hes still happy and not in pain hes woryb every penny to me x x

19. Bugsys grandma

Bugsys grandma PetForums VIP

Oh dear, I think some people really just don't understand the bond it's possible to make with an animal. Those who haven't been lucky enough to experience such a bond just don't get it. To me my dog is family, he's a huge part of my life and I believe every day he makes me a better person. I'm sorry some of your family don't get it.

He's your dog, your responsibility, it's your money, your decisions. Sadly for some they have no choice but to consider the financial implications, I've been in that situation myself in the past, fortunately now that's not the case, my heart goes out to anyone whose decisions have to be based around what they can realistically afford. :(

I agree with you entirely, if William, is happy, still eating,isn't in any pain or discomfort and enjoying life, even if his lifestyle is a little more sedentary now, then I would just go on as you are. You need to be totally honest with yourselves though, and look at him with unbiased eyes to ensure that you are not overlooking signs that he's struggling because you just don't want to see them. You have to make sure it is entirely right for William and put aside how you feel. I'm sorry I don't mean that to sound harsh at all, and I'm not suggesting for a second that you are doing anything like that, I just know how hard it is, and how desperately we want our dogs to be with us forever.

My thoughts are with you, and I'm hoping today finds him much improved.

Linda Weasel and Lurcherlad like this.
  20. Jade Brown

No it doesn't sound harsh at all i know exactly what you mean and ive questioned myself a few times whether im doing the right thing when he has struggled sometimes but then he has good and bad days mostly good though i work from home as a groomer and hes still gets exited to come see the dogs everyday still runs to my husband when he comes home and still begs for treats and food thats the one thing i know if william is really poorly as a few years ago he had what they thought was hepatitis and he didnt want to eat anything and just didn't want to move x i will find out tomorrow whether he needs his belly drained x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice