Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My dogs fitting

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by peachcj, May 7, 2010.

1. peachcj

peachcj PetForums Junior

Hi everyone,

Thought i'd throw this one to you all and see if anyone else has experienced the same thing.

My big boy started fitting in January, he was having a fit every 10-15 days. He had blood tests which didn't reveal anything and the vet said he can live his life having fits and be ok.

Last saturday though he had 3 in 3 hrs and then slept all day. Fits don't run in his family as I contacted the breeder.

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? We are going to change his diet in the next few days and see if thats causing a problem but i'm not sure it will be this.

2. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

If the vets have done all tests and ruled out anything that could be causing it then my first guess would be primary epilepsy (not caused by any other condition/issue) which doesnt necessarily show up every generation in breeding lines and in fact does tend to skip generations and only appear in certain pairings - are you in touch with any of your dogs siblings? or can the breeder confirm they are not having problems?

How old is your dog? usually epilepsy will show up before the dog is 4/5 (unless it is caused by something else). I can obviously not say it is defintely this over the internet and i am not a vet, but definitely something to consider.

If your vet hasnt even suggested it after having tested for other things, I would get a second opinion. the fits your dog has had sound like clusters and drugs can and need to be given if it is epilepsy to control them. many dogs go on to live completely normal lives once the medication is at the right dose etc but it takes a bit of time to work out the right medication for most. some dogs will still fit but much less frequently.

Have a look at this site for further info - its full of very good info on the condition: Canine Epilepsy and Dog Seizures Table of Contents - Canine Epilepsy Guardian Angels

This page in particular gives a good summary http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/seizures_overview_cause_treatment.htm

If it is epilepsy, then a number of people on here have mentioned that rosemary can make the fits worse - so check your dogs current food to see if it is an ingredient, espeically if you are thinking of changing his food.

good luck

edited to add: all the following can cause secondary epilepsy (so caused by something else) - so your vet would need to check for all of these things and if still nothing can be found, then they would determine that it is primary epilepsy (no known cause/inherited):
    ~ Congenital hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)
    ~ Hypothyroidism (low thyroid function)
    ~ Infections causing brain damage (such as canine distemper, cryptococcosis)
    ~ Ingestion of toxins (such as lead paint chips, insecticides)
    ~ Brain tumors
    ~ Portosystemic shunts (improperly routed intestinal blood vessels bypass the liver - one of the body's important waste-product detoxifiers)
    ~ Vaccinations

#2 katiefranke, May 7, 2010
    Last edited: May 7, 2010
  3. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

I would tend to agree with katiefrank,it could well be epilepsy,and would also look into a second opinion.
    Im sorry you and your dog are going through this and really hope you get some answers and help soon.

4. Stephny691

Stephny691 PetForums Senior

As katiefranke said, I'd get a second opinion, and if it does turn out to be epilepsy there are drugs that they can put him on.
    Also if he is diagnosed we cut wheat out of our dogs diet and that helped limit the fits aswell. But first thing has to be a second opinion.

Hope you and your boy are keeping well.
    x

5. peachcj

peachcj PetForums Junior

Thanks so much for all the replies. I did think it could be epilepsey.

To answer a few questions - none of his siblings are suffering from this and he is only 2 yrs old.
    He is a Neapolitan mastiff and from what I can find on the net, they're not prone to fitting.

I have this problem that whichever vets I take him to, pound signs flash in their eyes as this type of dog (extremely huge!) Is fairly rare down here and I feel they deliberately charge me WAY over the odds for any treatment.
    I knew he was gunna cost more than your average dog when I got him but they really take the piss.
    Sorry to rant!

I'll have a look at his food content, that comment about rosemary is very interesting - and thank you for the links! :thumbup:

6. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Epilepsy can appear randomly,so it doesnt need to be in parents or siblings etc.
    Why not have a phone round a few vets near you and find out what each will cost.Im finding out local vet in the pets at home (companion care) really good and pretty reasonable compared to my other local vets.
    Good luck x

7. katiefranke

Do you have insurance for him as this would be covered under the insurance?

whereabouts are you? maybe someone on here could recommend a good vet in your area?

another link that may be helpful - this one is a UK one: PCFCE

8. cutekiaro1

cutekiaro1 PetForums VIP

just another thing to think about..... We had a rescue who had kidney problems and because his kidneys were not flushing out all the toxins in his body it caused him to have fits. At first they wernt really noticable but they gradually got worse and more frequent. If they havent already checked it might be worth taking a urine sample in to them and asking them to check for kidney function.

Sorry if someone has already said that I didnt read all the posts :eek:

Hope its nothing to worry about

9. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

I think epilepsy can only be truly diagnosed by seeing a response to the appropriate medication. My first dog had fits and the medication made it worse initially and he died two days later. However, it wasn't epilepsy but a brain tumour - extremely rare for an 11 month old dog. I would be wanting the vet to put him on phenobarbital or similar if all other tests are clear.

10. billygoat

billygoat PetForums Newbie

If it is epilepsy I'll share my story with you.......

My Border Collie started fitting aged 4, we had terrible trouble with her, high doses of Phenobarbitol and Diazapam didn't help, then combined with Potasium Bromide, she had clusters of 10-ish fits every month, some of them as bad as they can be, the drugs knocked her for six,

It took me months of reading to find that salt in the diet can stop the absorption of Potasium Bromide, ...most dog foods have a high salt content, food colouring and other ..rubbish in it, I now feed her raw meat and rice. no salt at all, She hasn't had a fit for over a year and two months, she only fitted then because I missed her pill by accident, she's off the Phenobarbitol and Diazapam all together now for over two years, she has one 250mg potasium bromide twice a day. she's a happy border collie and we don't worry about the future any more.

Watch what you feed your dogs, the petfood companies don't care about anything except money, look what food colourings do to kids!!

Good luck

11. katiefranke

thats brilliant news about your girl billygoat :)

and completely agree - the first link i posted to the OP mentions about salt in the diet actually and it was only because of this that I knew myself too... and although a raw diet cannot promise miracles and to cure all illnesses I do strongly feel that it is the best thing that people can feed their dogs (when done properly of course)...!

12. MissShelley

MissShelley PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear about your dog. Lots of luck with him/her.... I'd go for a second opinion if I were you :(

My dog Max was diagnosed with primary epilepsy 6 months ago, he had his first fit in the night. Took him to vet the next day and he said it could well be a one off... To take him back if he fitted. He fitted again so we took him back.

Vet then arranged blood tests and started him off on 90mg of epiphen twice a day... Blood tests came back clear, which meant his fits werent being caused by any underlying kidney or heart problem
    ( blood tests don't diagnose epilepsy, they can tell whether the fits are caused by an organ problem. Only a brain scan can diagnose )

My vet didn't want to arrange the scan - He could of, Max is insured - He diagnosed epilepsy, he said it's rare for a dog over 5 to develop it, but it can develop at random ( like your breeder, there was no history of it in the sire or bitch ) he said that a difficult birth or head trauma can cause it. That makes sense in Max's case, as he was a hoooooge puppy and Mum had trouble giving birth to him, she got distressed and nearly ended up having a caesarean. Max's litter was her last.

Max is still on 90mg twice a day, the meds don't stop the fits, they are just less frequent, he had his last seizure 3 weeks ago, they can also occur at random, usually when resting, mostly at night.

I know the fits weren't caused by his diet, as he's fed a natural diet, lots of fresh meats, liver, chicken, mince, pasta, rice and vegetables, he also likes an egg now and again. The meds made him hungrier than usual, so we give him carrots, apples and bananas for snacks ( cleared past our vet first obviously ) :)

Epilepsy hasn't hindered Max's life, just enhanced it..... It's a part of him, and his way of life now :)

#12 MissShelley, May 10, 2010
    Last edited: May 10, 2010
  13. peachcj

peachcj PetForums Junior

Thank you so much for the replies, It is really interesting to see what other people have done and had to go through.

He had three fits very close together on sunday and we are going to take him to our vets on Friday for some meds.

I'll keep you updated.

Thanks again all. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice