Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My dogs don't like each other!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by peppapug, May 11, 2010.

1. peppapug

peppapug PetForums Senior

I am duplicating a little as castration is a question here too.
    I have a mother and son. I have always allowed them time apart for training and during the day my girl goes to my mum and my boy comes to the office. My girl just doesnt like her son. She shows signs of anxiety, licking floors and looking depressed and snappy when he is around.
    He on the other hand is much more active and tries to get her to play but whilst she will play with other dogs he just irritates her!
    he is now 17 months and castration may be an option for his pushyness, he pulls ridiculously on the lead and is very excitable but I read that the testosterone levels in him will drop naturally between 18 months and 2 years.
    Will she grow to like her son? I feel I am making her miserable by keeping them together but don't want to lose either one of them.
    Advice please! :confused:

2. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

I hope some one can help on here, sorry didn't want to just read and say nothing but i have only ever had boys so not sure about your situation. I would always castrate boys for health reasons as it lessens the risk of cancers. Hope advice comes along soon, poor you! :confused:

3. leashedForLife

siblings + parent/child dogs in the same household are always potentially fraught; dogs would disperse, given the option,
    after or just before puberty; bitches do not tolerate their daughters well during the daughters estrus, or their own.
    M dogs likewise may not tolerate another intact-M, or in some breeds/individuals, even a desexed-M.

i would have desexed the M-dog long since, as the LEARNED * BEHAVIORS that begin between 4-MO + 9-MO with increasingly obnoxious behavior during those 5-mos, cannot be *un-learned*... :( the toothpaste cannot be put back into the tube.

M-dog testosterone begins to drop between 9-MO + 10-MO -
    and continues to drop for another 2 to 3-mos, so by 12-MO to 13-MO, they have bottomed-out to their approx adult-level. there is no advantage IMO to keeping a M-dog intact past 6-mos or so,
    and plenty of obnoxious behavior to discourage keeping a dog intact into their 9th month.

there is IMO a clear connection between the number of intact, 9 to 12-MO M dogs that arrive at shelters
    across the USA, every year, as owner-surrenders, and testosterone.

if it was just age, then Fs would be there in similar numbers - but they are not.
    young intact-Ms are greatly over-represented in shelter popns - all breeds, any mixes.

desexing him is no warranty that Mom will like him any more than she does now -
    he has been p*ssing her off for 11-mos, right? :rolleyes: 60-days post desex, she may STILL think he is a PITA.
    but thats no reason to keep him intact - it WILL help with some behaviors, there is no Q.
    whether it changes his mums opinion? who knows?

--- terry

4. peppapug

Thanks for that.
    It is always a case of differing opinions. I booked him in and took him for castration at a year old on the nail, allowing him to mature and grow which is what i had thought was the best option.
    The vet turned him away. Said the school of thought was that unless he was marking or highly sexed there was no need to castrate him and they prefer to do it at 4 years now. So, he returned home in tact!
    So if the behaviours are now learned, will castration help at all? I actually see these behaviours as personality, he has a great little character!

just to add there is no serious aggression it is just mum seems to want to relax and retire ( at 4! ) and their personalities are just so different.

#4 peppapug, May 11, 2010
    Last edited: May 11, 2010
  5. leashedForLife

ask the vet if he wants to adopt yer dog... :eek: NOW, not at 4-YO post desex.

6. leashedForLife

as i said - YES, some things are helped -
    * M to M posturing
    * pestering bitches
    * mounting + humping
    * fighting + biting
    * attempting to take-off / search for Fs
    * marking / leg-lifting / snarking at other Ms
    * resource-guarding
    * territorial behavior
    and similar behaviors influenced by testosterone, drop.
    they may not DISAPPEAR - they are less often, less intense, less duration.

his mums perception is his long-term behavior - her opinion may or may not change.

7. Pugs are very vavacious characters and very confident I personally always advise dogs to sexually mature, so for a boy after 18mths is a perfect age for castration and a female to have her first season then spay.

I would say u have two characters although mother and son they are two different levels of energy so the best way to move forward is to make sure hes not to pushy round his mum at all times and listens to whats required of him hence giving her a break also taking them on walks together will build a better bond between them so always take the time when there around one another to keep things calm and positive the moment ur boy gets pushy always correct him by placin him on his bed for instance.

8. peppapug

Thank you. I think you have hit the nail on the head. We call her a pug and him a "real" dog!!! He is like a terrier. He runs like Forrest Gump, just for the sake of running when we are out.
    They both run together off lead. Even off lead he feels the need to knock into her when he has all the open space!

It is just to see her looking so stressed when he is trying to shove a toy in her face to get her to play and then she looks so happy when I drop her at my mums during the day with their westie.

I think castration is something that needs to be done but I am not expecting much difference as I think its personality based. He never humps anything, never shown aggression and has a perfect recall off lead.

.....now if you tell me castration will stop him pulling like a train on his lead then I am sold!!!!

9. peppapug

Ok, just phoned the vet and they said I had to have a reason as they don't castrate below the age of 3. I explained he is a bit boisterous for his mum and I was concerned about his exuberance, they agreed if it was "my choice".

Is my vet alone in saying they don't like to castrate below the age of 3?

10. leashedForLife

:lol: :thumbup: :lol: :laugh: the testes connected to the - thigh-bone...
    the thigh-bone connected to the - knee-bone... :lol: :p

11. leashedForLife

i can only speak for the - 12 or maybe 15? vets that i have had over my lifetime, so far - in 2 states and 4 cities -
    but NONE of them had that policy. :huh:

that seems odd to me - even being in the USA vs UK?

12. Yeh ur vet is quite rare lol where are u situated?
    Its ur dog ur choice :)

13. peppapug

I am in Swindon, Wiltshire. The vets is the Drove which is a large hospital and chain. Glad I am not being silly by being shocked by their policy.

I stuck by my guns and have him booked for Tuesday under the "my choice" booking!

When they are so adament that I should wait till 3 it does cause me to keep rethinking things as it goes against everything I know and understand to be true!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice