Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My dogs behaviour

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Shaleen Sachdeva, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Shaleen Sachdeva

Shaleen Sachdeva PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I have a 18 minths old dog, he was my friend's dog but he had to give it away because his son started getting alergic reaction.

Because I am not his real owner and it's only been month he is staying with me - he sometimes doesn't listen to me and also gets aggressive while playing and wants to bite my hands.
    He feels he is more dominant.

How do I control him and make him listen to me and also lower down his dominance level.

Any guidance will be helpy :)

2. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

What breed is he?

Dogs don't listen because they either don't understand what is being asked of them or they aren't motivated enough to comply. Given you've only just got this dog it's probably the former. What do you actually want him to do? some people think dogs should just 'behave' but it doesn't work like that, you have to teach them ;)

He's not dominant, that line of thinking was discredited years ago. He just doesn't understand what you want. You "control" a dog by developing your relationship and training them.....it doesn't just happen.

Sairy, PixieSpoodle, Twiggy and 2 others like this.
  3. Shaleen Sachdeva

Hi thanks for replying.

He is a presa canario. He loves playing a lot and while playing or just randomly he walks towards me and starts nibbling my hand or arms.
    When i walk away from him and saying no to him he gets a bit aggressive and wants to jump on my and bite me more.

4. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Hi Shaleen, how much dog experience do you have?
    And 18 month old dog of any breed is going to be a challenge. An 18 month old Presa will be even more of one.
    Are you familiar with this breed at all?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. Shaleen Sachdeva

Hi,

I had dogs all my life, i have two dogs back in my home country as well.
    I do understand that presa is a big dog n a bit tough to handle.

Overall he is a very friendly dog because he has been around kids when he was with his previous owner, but this biting habit is a difficult to manage.

6. Shaleen Sachdeva

Also he behaves very nicely when his previous owner comes to visit With me he is sometimes difficult.

7. Shaleen Sachdeva

Sorry for so many post - one more thing i have noticed is he generally bites me because he wants me to pet him n if i dont he get aggressive

8. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Well, yes, presas are big dogs, but so are newfies.
    The issue with presas is that they are a guardian breed and a rather "sharp" guardian breed at that. I don't know that there are many solid pet lines of presas, you're more likely to get a serious guardian breed temperament, and if you you don't know how to manage and train that it can be bad.

He is still a juvenile dog, and with it has the temperament of a juvenile, playful, silly, boisterous, and yup, bitey.
    You need to start teaching him a language that he understands and is motivated to comply with. That means you being clear, consistent, fair, and NOT confrontational. You do not want to get in to a battle of wills with this kind of dog.

Ideally you should be working with someone knowledgeable like a good trainer or a breed enthusiast who can guide you in to forging a working relationship with this dog. Is there anyone in your area who can do this?

Sairy and Lurcherlad like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice