Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

My dog won't play with toys.

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by dachshund2, Feb 4, 2018.

1. dachshund2

dachshund2 PetForums Newbie

I have two dachshunds. One is a boy who is two, and a girl that is 6 months. My boy goes crazy when we give him one of those soft plastic squeaker toys, and we gave him one for the first time afew months ago. He guarded it for hours, and tried to bite our other dog for coming near him. He never acts like this, normally he behaves well. My wife yelled at him for being so aggressive to the other dog, and he is very sensitive. When he gets in trouble he sometimes pouts for afew days. After this incident he no longer has any interest in toys, and it's been a few months. What can I do?

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Your wife scared him and he probably thinks if he plays with a toy agin the same thing will happen. Was the other dog new to him at the time?

What do you mean about "gets in trouble" and "pouts for days"? What does he do that's "trouble" and does he get shouted at or scolded for it?

Him guarding the toy in the first place is Resource Guarding and should be dealt with carefully. Look at positively.com and Kikopup for training advice.

Burrowzig, kimthecat and Isotonic like this.
  3. dachshund2

Yes the other dog was new to him. We've stopped scolding him cause he is sensitive. I've never seen a dog like that, they usually get over it in a few minutes. And yes he literally pouts like a little kid. He loves the other dog they haven't had an issue since, and he stopped resource guarding...but now he doesn't play with toys. It really makes me sad, cause he loved them.

4. VickyandNero

VickyandNero PetForums Newbie

I would agree with other comment, because he was scolded when playing with the toy he has learnt playing with that toy is wrong.

I would get another toy and just get over excited about it with him, so playing with the toys is great fun.

Burrowzig and danielled like this.
  5. danielled

danielled PetForums VIP

What was your wife thinking? Now he thinks oh playing with toys is bad and if I do I will be shouted at. He is scared.

6. dachshund2

he was acting like he was going to bite us or the other dog that is why my wife reacted like that. He’s been doing better now. He played with a toy last night and doesn’t seem so upset. We’ve had a lot going on between the new dog, the move coming up, and me and my wife coming and going for days on work related trips and only having one of us home. That and the other dog always tries to take his toys...I think it will be fine as soon as we get settled in and the other dog isn’t a puppy anymore.

7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Manage their interactions so the pup isn't a nuisance or taking his toys so he isn't stressed otherwise the behaviour might escalate and you end up with at least one very unhappy dog and potentially two that don't get on long term.

8. danielled

danielled PetForums VIP

Well either manage their interactions or take his toys but never yell at him again. If I catch anybody yelling at Buddy for resource gaurding I yell at them saying never yell at a dog unless you want to scare them, Buddy thinks being yelled at is a great game because then he grabs what he has and literally goes mental running around with what he has basically turning it into a fun game of catch me if you can. Now if I firmly say Buddy here, Buddy drop he will drop because he knows there is something better for him to have. No yelling.

9. dachshund2

I've been trying to manage their interactions better with the toys, but other than a few incidents they really get along great. They spend most of their day cuddling and playing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice