Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My dog won’t walk

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Laura Richards, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Laura Richards

Laura Richards PetForums Newbie

I have a 4 year old cocker spaniel, she’s full of energy but when it comes to going for a walk she won’t leave the drive way for a walk unless she is going in the car for a walk. We’ve tried bribing with treats and making the walk sound exciting but she will lay on the floor and refuse to walk. I don’t know what to do to exercise her as she is not always able to go in the car and go for walks????

2. Chatcat

Chatcat Guest

Has she always been like this or is this a new thing?

3. Laura Richards

Laura Richards PetForums Newbie

It’s been an ongoing thing for a while now, wouldn’t say it’s new.

4. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Have you tried putting her in the car, driving away and then get out and walk back to your house?

Will she do it that way round?

I am guessing when you take her in the car, you arrive at your destination and tip her out for free running?

Is it lead walks she is objecting to?

If she walks well on lead, try my suggestion and if she manages back to your house, see if she will then return to the car that is now parked away from your house.

Is she like this with every member of the family?

My friend has a springer that walks no problem for her and her husband but if her son or adult daughter try, the dog refuses to leave the car. And if they take it out of the car and away and remove the lead, it runs straight back to the car!!

5. Chatcat

Chatcat Guest

It sounds to me like she has had a fright out in the drive. Although I have never heard of a cocker having nerves. I was advised to take a toy outside, and just play. Try to go a few more steps each time you go out there. But don't try to walk yet, just do baby steps, literally! The idea is that you want her to enjoy herself out there, and thereby become confident enough to leave home.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice