Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My dog stole a lump of cheddar...

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by planete, Nov 11, 2012.

1. planete

planete PetForums Senior

My dog opened the fridge for the first time last night and stole a lump of cheddar. I would say he had about half of a 250 gr. piece. About an hour later he vomited that and his previous meal. He has not been able to keep anything down today and he is due at the vets for castration first thing tomorrow morning.

Is it normal to still be vomiting 24 hours after stealing the cheese and getting rid of it? I am inclined to put off the op. as he certainly will not be at his best after the last 24 hours and am not quite sure why he has not recovered by now. A friend mentioned he could be allergic to cheese but I have been using cubed cheese as training treats for a couple of weeks with no ill effects?

What do you think and has anybody had the same happen?

2. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy PetForums VIP

I would suspect the sickness had nothing to do with the cheese.
    If he gets diarhea, ask the vet to check for seasonal canine illness, which is around atm?

3. Sarahferret

Sarahferret PetForums Senior

Certainly tell the vet he has been unwell, they will know if it is safe to still operate or not.

4. planete

planete PetForums Senior

No diarrhoea so far. I have just fed him some steamed chicken with rice as per emergency vet advice to see whether he will be sick again or not. If it stays down, they will probably operate after checking him, if it does not we will need to find out what is going on. He is well and bright otherwise and nearly drove me crazy while he was waiting for the chicken to be cooked, so hopefully he has not got anything too wrong with him. There have been no cases of seasonal canine illness around here, but you never know. Thank you for your replies.

5. rose

rose PetForums VIP

Dont know what caused the sickness but I would definitely cancel the op until its cleared up. If its only a routine op waiting another week wouldnt hurt. I wouldnt fancy having my ba**s off with a sickness bug!!

6. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

If he were mine I would cancel the op .

your post brought back so many memories..my first bullie used to steal from my fridge, his first item was a block of cheese...then one night it was the entire contents of the fridge :eek:

7. IrishEyes

IrishEyes PetForums VIP

:D Haha that made me laugh, dog's eh!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice