Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My Dog Refuses to Eat Dog Food

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by juliet42, May 31, 2010.

1. juliet42

juliet42 PetForums Newbie

Hi,

My first post here, and would appreciate some advice. I have a 13 year old lab who has recently been diagnosed with an enlarged heart. She has been given tablets for her heart and duiretics for the build up of fluid. She has improved a lot in herself and seems happy, but a lot slower.

I am having great difficulty in getting her to eat any form of dog food, (I've tried all of them!). She will eat cooked chicken or scrambled egg, but for long term this isn't ideal. I was wondering if you had any suggestions on how to get her back to eating dog food? Or any ideas of what else I could give her? By the way she won't eat rice with her chicken.

I have tried the eat within 20 mins thing and then remove the food, that doesn't work she still won't eat it.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Have you tried mixing something smelly like tripe or tinned fish in with the food?

3. juliet42

I have tried mixing it with gravy or egg, and she just licks the gravy off or just eats the egg!

What kind of tinned fish do you suggest?

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I use sardines personally.

If you mash it all together, she wont be able to pick out the tasty bits.

Are you feeding dry? Have you tried a good quality wet like Naturediet?

5. Kip

Kip PetForums Junior

I put Teddy (Yorkie) on to dried dog food as a puppy on the advice of the vet. Now he is 13 his teeth are rather bad but vet says he is too old to have them out. I tried mixing Hi Life with the dried food but he just ate that and left the dried, then he was sick. I then I tried mixing water and chicken stock to make the dried food soft. He didn't like that. We give him a little of what we are eating ourselves for dinner as long as it is plain with no sauces but we include veg. and he loves that. Vet says that's OK as long as it is not too much as the dog food is made specially with the nutrients a dog needs. When he smells the dinner cooking he eats quite a lot of his dried food because he knows he will be getting his extras afterwards. He is quite healthy for a 13 year old apart from a bit of arthritis in his back legs and he can't walk as far as he used to.

6. juliet42

I've tried mixing the dried food with a little fish oil, (same reaction, sniffs and decides no thanks!). We give her our veggie leftovers from dinner which she will eat sometimes, but not all.

I have tried most of the dried dog foods on the market, even tried the sample packets from the vets, and given it to her dry and wet, but it makes no difference. I have also tried the tinned meat dog food of every variety, but nope won't touch it.

I have thrown so much dog food away trying out different ones and all this trial and error is costing a fortune. She needs to put a bit of weight back on, cause she had dramatic weight loss when she first became so poorly with the heart condition. Feeding her the cooked chicken everyday sometimes makes her poos really runny, too much protein I think!

The vet wasn't really much help in helping with her diet, just said give her what you know she will eat.

7. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Considering that your dog seems to love your left-overs and chicken, have you considered feeding her raw? It is a complete myth that only commercial dog food contains all the nutritional needs - you can get pre-prepared raw food that is too or, once you get your head around it, you can even make the food yourself.

8. juliet42

Wouldn't the raw diet work out really expensive? I'm also concerned that if when she has the chicken she sometimes has loose poos, too much protein? :confused1:

9. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

In a raw diet she wouldn't just get filleted meat but she would also get bones and offal - the bones will bung her up. If anything, if fed raw poops tend to become firmer, smaller and also less smelly.

And the cost really depends on where you get your meat from (butchers or supermarket and if supermarket, what time of day - there are always bargain to be had in the evenings).

So am wondering whether it is the boiling that creates the runs or whether she could be sensitive to chicken perhaps?

PS - the good people in this thread will be able to help if this is something you might want to pursue: http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-chat/104622-changing-barf-few-questions.html

10. julianne

julianne PetForums Member

My Marley has an enlarged heart and a grade 3 murmur.He has been on a raw diet for 2 years now and is doing great on it.It's a lot cheaper than the kibble he was on.Raw is also low in sodium whilst most kibble is high which isn't good for heart conditions.Also fresh hearts are high in taurine and L cartine which are what dogs with heart conditions need .

11. juliet42

I don't think in her cause a raw diet would be the answer, especially not bones, her teeth can't even manage dog biscuits these days!

I think a homemade diet could be the only solution, at least I know then she will eat it and is getting some nourishment. She doesn't have much time left with us, and i want her last few months to be happy ones, so a little spoiling could be the order of the day.

12. julianne

julianne PetForums Member

A homemade diet would be fine .You can get raw dog mince ,which contains minced bone, from pet shops and you could steam it for your dog and add cooked offal and heart plus veg .Buying the raw dog mince is cheaper than buying human food all the time .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice