Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

my dog ran for the road!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by jessiegirl, Jul 27, 2009.

1. jessiegirl

jessiegirl PetForums Senior

today i took my dog to the downs ( a massive grass area in bristol) ive taken her thre twice before and she loves it cos she gets to run around. we played fetch for 20 mins, then out the blue she decideds to run off . i dont know if something startled her? :confused: i kept calling her name but she kept running and running towards the busy road!! i was like OH MY GOD shes gonna get run over!!!!! so i ran aftre her . she kept running and i kept my eye on her , she went to my car and was jumping up at the boot as if she wanted to get in, i called her again and she ran towards me, i got my hands on her-- thank god i said!!! i nearly had a god damn heart attack!!!!

i thought i could trust her being off the lead but just goes to show. i feel so stupid.....:eek:ut: never again.

it got me thinking, if she did ever get knocked down by a car what would i do? sounds dumb i know . would i take her straight to the vet or what??

im so glad she didnt get knocked down.

2. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Poor girl! Glad she's okay!

Years ago when my little dog was run over my sister wrapped her in a blanket and brought her into the kitchen. I think the emergency vet came out and took her.

You're best off buying a long line lead until you're confident with her recall :thumbup:

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Oh dear. Yes, definately get a long line, or find somewhere secure to let her off.

Have you recall trained her?

If she has an accident then ring your vet to inform them you are taking her in. You can use a parcel shelf as a makeshift stretcher.

4. Baby Bordie

Baby Bordie PetForums VIP

That was very lucky! You can get these lead that real out.... There pretty good, My old lab could never go off the lead, even with all the training, so we got one of these, and we never had a problem! :D Glad shes o.k.

5. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

A similar thing happened when Henrick was about 6 months old, his recall is very good but he spotted two dogs and ran for a break in the hedge and stopped in the middle of a usually very busy road, I yelled like mad and he came back but it did make me much more cautious since then. The owners of the two dogs helped by telling me that I should control my dog and what a terrible dog owner I was:mad:.

6. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Sky's the same when she spots a bird :rolleyes:

Wow, I bet their words helped a lot! :mad:

7. davehyde

davehyde Banned

not to do with the dog sorry.

but the downs.

i was there loads when i was a kid. we used to go at least twice a week. go to the observatory and into the cave on the gorge.

we even used to climb up the gorge and onto the top next to the suspension bridge.

some days we'd sneak into the zoo too lol.

i once jumped out of a tree on the downs and cut my knee, told me dad snake had bit me lol. he rushed me to the b.r.i. in a taxi with my baby bro's nappy round me leg roflmao.

where in bristol do you live? i was in brislington, born in downend.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice