Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My dog no longer comes when called?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by DGAMM, Sep 17, 2020.

1. DGAMM

DGAMM PetForums Newbie

I have an 11 year old dog who has always been fairly obedient, any time we called his name to come in from the garden, he’d appear at the door pretty much straight away. This year he was diagnosed with chronic arthritis in his lower back which had caused him some mobility issues but he was still coming in when called (he is on medications to ease the pain etc). A few weeks a go he came down with a chest infection and since then he is like totally different dog, he started lying outside all night, refusing to come in when called and constantly crying and panting to get out. The chest infection cleared but he is still wanting to lie outside all night and will not come when called. Every night it’s like a battle to try get him in and regularly we’ve found ourselves lifting him in the house at 2am as we can’t stay up any longer. He is a large dog and weighs around 50kg so is not easy to lift! Any ideas as to why he could all of a sudden stop responding and doesn’t want to come in? We wouldn’t have as much of an issue with him lying out at night if the weather was hot but the weather in Scotland is starting to get cold again and it just doesn’t help his arthritis any to be out in it. Any ideas for how we can get him back into the habit of coming in etc would be greatly appreciated

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’d take him back to the vet - he could be in pain or confused with a bit of dementia.

Sairy, Torin., Burrowzig and 4 others like this.
  3. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

And maybe get his hearing and sight tested as well.

Torin., Burrowzig, Sarah H and 3 others like this.
  4. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

I have had old dogs with chest infections who much preferred to be outdoors. I think they found they could breathe easier.

Would a fan indoors help? Also perhaps another trip to the Vet?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice