Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My Dog maybe 8 weeks pregnant unsure?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Mary Agnew, Aug 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mary Agnew

Mary Agnew Banned

Hi umm basically i have a 5 year old rough collie she has been mated in multiple occasions not professionally though just some studs coming from the fields. Anyway she has never had pups but we think this time she might she would be around 8 weeks now and tbh i dont think she is. My mum believes it and my dad they think she has a singelton pup because she has been acting very strange the last month or so, she has vomited and had ewww diarhea or whatever way its spelt. the only thing is her nipple are very small and her belly isnt like very big. there has been hair come off from around the nipples but again they are like 1 cm by 1cm she has been very very very clingy and really just not herself we think she is either pregnant or sick.
    Any suggestions ?

2. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Please get your parents to take your dog to the vet. This will confirm the pregnancy or whether your dog is ill. Multiple matings and not knowing if she is pregnant is not in the dogs best interests at all, especially if at 5 years old she is expecting her first litter.

If she is due in a week then I would expect it to be obvious by now and I certainly wouldn't be seeing vomiting and diarrhoea as normal either so as I suggested before, please take your dog to the vet.

J

3. Mary Agnew

Mary Agnew Banned

thanks for the advice we will definitely taking her to the vet now. <3

4. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Can I suggest that you suggest to your parents to get her spayed if she's not pregnant? it's not really fair or responsible for her to be put in the position where she is mated by random dogs.....

5. Mary Agnew

Mary Agnew Banned

Yeah i think its for the best we never want her to be mated with them its just we lock her in a night but we dont like keeping her in the house all day btw its a house with a large cage we dont keep her in small house

6. Mary Agnew

Mary Agnew Banned

So it’s been a week and a half after her due date so we thought nah she is probably not pregnant but then we were rubbing her belly today and we noticed one of her nipples were quite reddish and had this dried up white substance coming from it. Is this milk or is it something else because we hope it is milk

7. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

It may well be milk, but it sounds as though your bitch is having a false pregnancy.

If she has gone a week and a half past what should have been her due date, it is unlikely she is pregnant.

I find it very worrying, however, that a bitch who may have been pregnant has been allowed to go this far without the advice of a Vet.

Please get her spayed. This must be so stressful for her, repeatedly being mated and having false pregnancies.

Lurcherlad, Jamesgoeswalkies and O2.0 like this.
  8. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

Just had one of these on the cat threads. Be careful, remember schools are out.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  9. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

Guess you didn't follow the advice to have her seen by a vet then?

10. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

It's been 9 days since you said you were going to take her to the vet. It's quite possible, even likely she is ill. She may have developed pyometra which is a potentially fatal disease and causes her much pain. Please, get this dog to the vet, tomorrow, stop risking her life this way..

Lurcherlad likes this.
  11. Mary Agnew

Mary Agnew Banned

Thanks for all the people who said we aren’t fair or responsible cause I’m only 14 and I just wanted to ask for help my dog isn’t a house dog or trained or anything like that so she does be out in the fields and stuff so we don’t know what she would be doing if ya know what I mean. My dad squeezed her nipples * gently * and milk came out of all of them
    She is fat, she has become bloated, her nipples have gotten bigger and more pinkish so by all the articles we read that’s what indicates a pregnancy right? it just took a while. She has been acting strange and very clingy she has been in her house bed digging at the bottom like she was creating a nesting place and her hair has fallen out from around the nipples so like we will be taking her to the vet in the next few days it’s just we thought since my mom has had her dogs have litters so she sort of knew what they were like and so we didn’t think we needed the vet. I’m sorry if you think we are dumb to think that but it’s just us PLUS I must say the only other time we thought she was pregnant we did take her to this other vets that was closer ( sadly shut down) costed us £70 just to get her checked and then they did an ultrasound which spcosted an extra £50 so in total £120 which is very expensive so if you don’t agree then don’t but that’s my opinion so take or leave and last thing we do not force are dog in any way to mate that is as you say unfair we just don’t think it’s fair to leave her in her cage all day for about week cause when they are there they don’t leave so we try to keep her away but they are always somewhere in the fields

#11 Mary Agnew, Aug 16, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  12. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

An unneutered bitch should not be out roaming the fields.

Hopefully she gets taken to the vet asap, she isn’t pregnant and you do the sensible thing and have her spayed.

You’re a child, yes, but your parents need to get a grip.

AmsMam, Northpup, Sacremist and 3 others like this.
  13. Laney_Lemons

Laney_Lemons PetForums Senior

Cant even cope with this, this makes me so angry ... for god sake your parents should be ashamed of themselves ... have your poor bitch spayed... what a life of misery it must be to be owned by your family ... poor girl to be hounded & mated by every male every time she goes into heat and then either has pups or false pregnancies - yous cant be bothered taking her to the vet because what £100 is too expensive?! - oh please!! your parents im sure pay for Sky or broadband or some other luxury at £100 a month while your poor girl suffers year after year

at 14yrs old, £120 might seem expensive but its not, if you choose to have a dog atleast you can consider the vets bills at £100 :rolleyes:

Lurcherlad, BlueJay and Dogloverlou like this.
  14. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

God forbid your poor bitch needs a C-section then! A week and a half after her expected due date would indicate a serious problem with the puppies which equals spending money at the vets to have her seen!

Are you aware there are clinics available to help people on low income? They offer spaying/neutering at reduced costs, something like £50 for a spay in total.

https://www.rspca.org.uk/whatwedo/care/vetcare

https://www.pdsa.org.uk/

The fact this happens regularly is totally irresponsible. Why does your bitch roam? Why is she not contained in your garden? Lets hope that if she has puppies you're not hoping to sell them on for profit. I'd hand them all into a reputable rescue center instead.

Can you not show your parents the responses here? They are the ones who need to take action.

15. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

It is a criminal offence in this Country to withhold Veterinary treatment from any animal in need.

Your bitch could be carrying dead pups. She could be having a false pregnancy. She could have an infection and, in six months time, she will go through all of this again.

Your Parents need to give their heads a good wobble. If you own animals, you have a duty to provide appropriate care for them.

Your Parents are being irresponsible and lazy.

Northpup, Lurcherlad and Sacremist like this.
  16. Mary Agnew

Mary Agnew Banned

yeah i will just lock her in a cage all day everyday then

17. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Are you serious?

Nobody has suggested you lock her in a cage. Nobody.

What we have advised is that you get her spayed. It really is not that difficult.

Lurcherlad, Sacremist and AmsMam like this.
  18. Sacremist

What a ridiculous and immature comment.

Lurcherlad, Northpup and Rafa like this.
  19. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

The OP claims to be 14 years old. Dog stil hasn't been to the vet it appears

Lurcherlad and Sacremist like this.
  20. Sacremist

Her age shows.

Lurcherlad likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice