Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My dog - Max

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by lucylocket4545, May 31, 2010.

1. lucylocket4545

lucylocket4545 PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone i'm new to these boards but i'm concerned about my dog. He's been very off today, not eating as much, drinking water. Been wanting to lie around and not do much. He is normally very active and running around. He's nearly 12 and was recently diagonosed with a heart murmur, not sure if this could be whats wrong.

Anyway his stomach feels very hard when i touch it and when he walks, he seems to have a raised back. He doesn't walk very far before he just flops down again. Any help would be appreciated.

2. HeyMeow

HeyMeow PetForums Junior

Sounds like you should take him to the vet as soon as possible, taking his age and illness into consideration.

3. kazschow

kazschow PetForums VIP

I agree do you have an out of hours service you could call to get some advice?

4. lucylocket4545

We rang up the emergency vets number we had, and they said to keep an eye on him overnight. We'll be taking him straight to vets in the morning. He's had a little food and just went out to toilet but came straight in and flopped out on sofa again.

5. HeyMeow

HeyMeow PetForums Junior

Did the vet you called have any idea of what could be wrong with the dog?

6. lucylocket4545

Until they checked him out the vet said he couldn't be sure.

7. HeyMeow

HeyMeow PetForums Junior

The bloated/hard belly could mean he has liquid in his lungs or that his organs are starting to fail, the latter could explain the throwing up. (when my previous dog's organs started to fail, he couldn't even drink water without throwing it up) I don't mean to scare you, and it's perhaps wise not to speculate too much before you see a vet...Anyway good luck to you and Max, and let us know how it goes.

#7 HeyMeow, May 31, 2010
    Last edited: May 31, 2010
  8. lucylocket4545

I've read up on bloat and it sounds really bad, but im guessing the vet doesnt think it is that otherwise he would of told us to take him somewhere tonight?

9. kazschow

kazschow PetForums VIP

How long ago did you speak to the vet?

10. HeyMeow

HeyMeow PetForums Junior

In my experience, you can't always trust a vet's opinion . If I were you, I'd call somewhere else for a second opinion. Just to be sure.

11. lucylocket4545

We noticed he wasn't right at about 6pm, i'd taken him out for his usal nightly walk and we came back and i fed him as normal but he barely sniffed at it. Left him for an hour because i thought he was tired came back and he was still the same. Mum called the vets at about half 8.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice