Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

my dog isnt eating

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by lynnh, May 16, 2010.

1. lynnh

lynnh PetForums Newbie

hi
    can anyone help or advise. sophie is 1 year and 3 month cavalier king charles. at present she refuses to eat. i usually feed her on fresh steamed chicken and royal cannin biscuits, but for the last coupled of days she hasnt touch anything. she is bright in herself and no signs of illness. also for the last couple of months she isnt eating the amount of food she is suppose to be eating. she shows signs that she is hungry and gets excited when i prepare her food, but as soon as i put her bowel down she just walks away from it.
    please help
    :confused1:

2. rona

rona Guest

This need investigating as it has been going on for a while.
    It could be as simple as a bad tooth or as frightening as a growth.
    Please pop to the vet tomorrow.

3. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

I agree with Rona,
    take her in tomorrow and hopefully they will get straight to the bottom of it.

4. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

To be honest, our Holly has done this 3 times, and she is only 7 months old. She refuses to eat for around 4 days, still all perky, she then gets one wet meal, then back to dry, and she'll eat again.

We've taken her to the vets twice, so the first time, and the third time, the vet said she was fine. They said she was being very stubborn, but we may get her checked again if it happens again. She gets 2% of her bodyweight, divided into 2 meals a day =]

5. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

I would definitely get her checked out to ensure there is nothing physically wrong. She could have a sore mouth which might make her reluctant to eat.

I have to say however, it does sound a bit like she is testing you - in my own experience, it tends to be boys that test you more when they hit adolescence, but not beyond the bounds of possibility for the girls to as well :rolleyes:

I have founded Dorwest Malted Kelp tablets very good for generating appetite.

I hope there is nothing wrong, and it is just her way of testing her boundaries as she hits her doggy teens.

6. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I would def get her checked out as advised but my first thought was that she is testing the water to see if anything more tasty may be offered. Heidi did this and I fell for it hook line and sinker which meant that she had to test the water a few more times afterwards just in case :(:D

Hope it's nothing to worry about and she will soon be back eating normally :thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice