Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My dog isn't drinking and she's dropping weight!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Tash1991, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Tash1991

Tash1991 PetForums Newbie

Hello,

My dog is a mix breed (Smooth Fox Terrier and pinscher) I've had her for +- 7 years. Does anybody know of something that will make her gain weight fast, she does eat a full bowl of food but she is not gaining weight and I have dewormed her, is there anything you can suggest?

Also, do you maybe have an idea of how I can get her to drink water? This has been going on for a while now and the only way she will take in water is if I mix it with her food, she does not drink water out of her own even if its a hot day and she's panting, I have changed her water bowl twice, I wash her bowls, I've tried bottled water, low sodium broth, tea, fresh carrot juice ect. I have taken her to the vet twice and I have asked at pet stores but they not giving me what I need for her so if anybody has any suggestion or ideas I'll be so grateful.

Thanks in advance

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Firstly, apologises but has she lost weight but eating normally? To me this would raise concerns and I would consult a vet.

What are you feeding? If you feed wet it might be that your dog is getting enough moisture. Strange i would still expect some drinking but some dogs are odd. What did your vet say?

3. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Agree with what @lullabydream said but to add, provided she isn't lactose intolerant, I have found adding about a tablespoonful of milk to a bowl of water has been helpful in tempting dogs to drink.

4. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

My boy loves ice cubes:)

5. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I always worry mine would choke on an ice cube - do your boys crunch them?

6. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Yes they crunch them right up even Floyd the 6kg JRT makes light work of them:)

JoanneF likes this.
  7. Tash1991

Tash1991 PetForums Newbie

Thank you all for repliying, @lullabydream yes, she is eating normally, and will eat just about anything you give her but she's looks thinner. I can count her ribs and see her hip bones, put it to you that way, she was a chubby dog so with this happening to her, it is making me really worried. I feed her wet food and I wet her kibble, sometimes I would make rice and mix the wet food in it, she adores fish so she gets omega 3 there.

I am planning on taking her to the vet again. When I took her the last time they said "That is strange" her blood results were fine and they thought maybe its is a behaviour problem, and gave me this hills tin food that was to help here gain weight, sorry cant remember the exact name of it, and I asked about something to entice her to drink water and they said I should just carry on with what im doing regarding the water and food. I dont mind doing that but then she only drinks once a day.

I will definitely give the milk a try @JoanneF

My girl plays with her ice cube :D@niamh123

niamh123, lullabydream and JoanneF like this.
  8. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Increase meal times.. So instead of how many meals a day add one or two. This is usually gentler on digestion, and stops problems of over feeding. I wouldn't add too much at once overall though...

Sounds ridiculous but has your dog increased her exercise or do you know if she's suffering from anxiety

Sarah H, kimthecat and Burrowzig like this.
  9. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

It sounds like she is having a good amount of water through her food as you are feeding wet and soaking her kibble:)

10. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Goat's milk is less likely to trigger problems then cow's. Freeze it in an ice cube tray then add a cube to a bowl of water. It really does make a difference to how much they drink.

niamh123, Torin., Lurcherlad and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice