Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My dog is very ill...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by vixtory, May 10, 2010.

1. vixtory

vixtory PetForums Member

Just had my dog to the vets... she got a irratating cough a few weeks ago but it only came after exercise and she coughed first thing in the morning.. this morning her stomach swelled right up and i was concerned that she had eaten something that had got stuck in there so i took her straight to vet. Turns out my poor chloe`s heart is failing on both sides, her heart is racing and she has a very weak pulse.. her stomach has filled with fluid.

The vet has let me bring her home today???? i can`t understand why!

If she survives the night tonight then she has to go back tomorrow at 9.30 to have her stomach fluid drained and have further tests done ( she had a blood and urine test done today ).. we have been warned though that even if she does survive the night tonight theres a very big chance that she will die tomorrow under the anesthetic.. chloe has to have complete rest until tomorrow morning and she cannot get stressed out at all.

I`m devastated... everything is stacked against her atm!

Please keep your fingers crossed that my dog makes it!

( Chloe is the black and white border collie x springer spaniel in my signature pic )

2. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

sorry to hear about chloe, keeping fingers crossed and sending healing thoughts to her.

3. rona

rona Guest

So sorry to hear this. I lost my first dog to heart failure at only 10 years old :(

4. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

Oh hun - sending (((((hugs n kisses))))) cos there are no words to describe times like these. Hope she manages to pull through and become stabilised on medication - our first dog was diagnosed with congestive heart failure (exact symptoms you describe) when he was 14, and once he was stabilised he lived for a good three years taking digoxin and diuretics.

Fingers crossed for Chloe.

5. lovaspringer

lovaspringer PetForums Member

i so hope your little hun willl be ok,i send my thoughts and hugs.xx

6. vixtory

vixtory PetForums Member

thanks for your replies and well wishes! Chloe is 11 now and i got her when she was just 7 weeks old, i`d be lost without her... i`m so hoping she pulls through... the sparkle in her eyes has gone though and her breathing is very laboured! I think i`m going to lose her :(

7. czenios

czenios PetForums Junior

Our thought and wishes will be with you and your lovely Chloe

8. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Im sorry to hear about Chloe,times like these are so hard.Hug for you and healing vibes for Chloe xx

9. BubsyBear

BubsyBear PetForums Member

Sending you love and healing thoughts to Chloe, I'm so sorry that you're having to go though such an upsetting time x

10. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

Ive everything tightly crossed for you and Chloe xxx

11. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

That is awful and must have been such a shock :(

I hope Chloe pulls through, bless her, best wishes for you both x

12. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

Oh hun - sending (((((hugs n kisses))))) cos there are no words to describe times like these. Hope she manages to pull through and become stabilised on medication - our first dog was diagnosed with congestive heart failure (exact symptoms you describe) when he was 14, and once he was stabilised he lived for a good three years taking digoxin and diuretics.

Fingers crossed for Chloe.

ETA Sorry - seems like the gremlins have been at work and printed this twice!

#12 Spellweaver, May 10, 2010
    Last edited: May 10, 2010
  13. slbrown2108

slbrown2108 PetForums Senior

my thoughts are with u good luck chloe thinking of u during this difficult time

14. vixtory

vixtory PetForums Member

thanks everyone... wish she`d eat something to keep her strength up but she`s just turning her nose up at everything offered!

15. Sarahnorris

Sarahnorris Banned

fingers crossed. bless her little cotton socks!

16. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Poor girl, she is where she should be, with you getting lots of love. Fingers crossed for you

17. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Oh ime so sorry how old is chloe and why are they giving her anesthetic, when my springer needed a heart scan they did it awake as they said he definetly wouldnt survive anesthetic they controled his fluid with dieretics, its so sad monty was given 4 days to live and with lots of meds and lots of care we had him for another 11months, so dont despair right now. My fingers are tightly crossed i know exactly how you feel we went to hell and back with monty complete rest to let the meds work and then we had to build his walks up very slowly, he amazingly got back to his normal walks ok no running, no getting stressed and no walks when it was hot or very cold and windy, but he was amazing. Good luck please keep posting chloe's progress i would love to know how she does.

18. MontyA

MontyA PetForums Member

Just wanted to say I'm thinking of you -and keeping everything crossed x

19. vixtory

vixtory PetForums Member

Thanks hun.. its great to know that there is hope for her yet.

Chloe is 11 going on 12... she`s always been a very hyperactive dog so to see her like this is very worrying and upsetting.

Their putting her under anesthetic mainly to drain her fluid i think but its also to stop her from getting stressed because her heart is already racing and could kill her! The fluid that has built up is very extreme and its hard to believe that it happened so suddenly.. weights dropped off her rapidly but her body has become very bulbess, she really does look like she is about to pop!

I`ll keep posting her progress... although i am really expecting to lose her through the night tonight, i can`t see how she`s going to make it through this evening!:(

I`m not giving in on her though, my sister has asked me why i didn`t just pts but i can`t do that quite has easily has she could! Chloe is my little girl and if she has got a chance then i`m going to make sure she gets it...

thanks for keeping my girl in your thoughts... will log on here in the morning and let you know if she`s made it through the night! xx

20. BeagleOesx

BeagleOesx PetForums VIP

It's going to be a long night for you, thinking of you and Chloe. Try to think positive thoughts and fingers crossed the vets can help her in the morning.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice