Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My dog is struggling to drink.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Louise Mitchell, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Louise Mitchell

Louise Mitchell PetForums Newbie

Hi, for some reason my dog has been struggling to drink over the last couple of weeks. He is eating fine but seems to lap about 3 or 4 times then pulls away and opens his mouth (as if he's bit his tongue or lips, although I don't think this is what he's actually done), and licks his chops alot. He will go back to drink more but does the same again. I have been to the vet and showed them videos and explained but they are baffled and don't know what it could be, which isn't helpful. Myself and tge vets have checked his mouth, teeth and tongue but there's nothing noticeable.
    Hes only 4, so still young. Has anyone else experienced this or know what it could be?

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

No, but I have some knowledge of helping to hydrate humans who can't/ won't drink.

Would he get more fluid if you fed him wet food with extra water? Would he lick a water ice lolly? Some fruit and veg are very high in fluid, would he eat watermelon?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

Long shot maybe, but if he's otherwise eating fine, could it be the taste of the water is off?
    Either the bowl it's in affecting the taste (plastic leaching chemicals etc), or something to do with your actual water?
    Assuming it's tapped, is he ok with bottled? Or maybe a bit of milk just to check?

Mine pull funny faces and open their mouths if they don't like the taste of things.

Thinking out loud :Bookworm

Sarah H, Torin., lorilu and 1 other person like this.
  4. tyg'smum

tyg'smum PetForums Senior

The taste of the water was my first thought - have there been recent works to the mains in the area? Have the local water authority perhaps altered the amount of - eg - fluoride - in the supply?
    My Lily will only drink plain tap water when she comes in from a walk, but she'll happily lap up water in her breakfast and evening meal, or if I swill out a tomato tin and our the water into her bowl.

JoanneF likes this.
  5. Louise Mitchell

Thanks for the great suggestion. He usually has dry food but I have been putting vegetables and about 250ml of chicken or veg stock in his food just so he's getting those fluids. And funnily enough I've just made him a veg stock ice cube tonight.
    St least I know I'm going in the right direction.

niamh123 and JoanneF like this.
  6. Louise Mitchell

Thanks for the suggestion but it's any kind of water in any kind of containers. He has an indoor bowl and outdoor bucket he likes to drink from but can't drink from either. He also tires to drink from puddles while we are out walking but can't manage that either. To be honest it's starting to upset me now as every time he sees water he tries to drink but can't and looks really uncomfortable when he tries. And the the vets don't even have an answer. Hopefully some light will be shed on it soon.

7. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

Oh no, poor little sausage :(
    Could it be a neurological issue perhaps?
    What does he do with sloppy wet food?
    Have you tried a drinking fountain for him?

8. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Have you had him scoped?

I would certainly want further diagnostics.

9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Just be aware that stock cubes are often high in salt, which will be counter productive.

Maybe make your own bone broth to add to his meals instead.

Torin. and Calvine like this.
  10. Louise Mitchell

I really hope it's not neurological, that was the vets thought aswell, she did a few touch tests with him and he was responding so that's confusing. He eats the sloppy food just fine, doesn't look uncomfortable and it all goes in.
    A drinking fountain is a great idea though! Thank you, I'll definitely have a look at that.

11. Louise Mitchell

He has an appointment with a different vet on 3rd Dec but I feel this is so far away. I'm hoping more light will be shed then.

12. Louise Mitchell

Yes I did think that. I have been double diluting the cubes so they're a little more effective. Although, making my own bone both is a much better idea. Thank you.

13. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Is the bowl on the floor?

Maybe try raising it up?

I stand my sighthound’s bowls on the clear plastic buckets that the bulk buy bird fat balls come in.

lorilu likes this.
  14. Louise Mitchell

Yes I have, but it's still the same. He has a bucket outside that's about head height but there's no change. I've even tried different temperatures of what but have had no luck.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice