Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My dog is refusing to walk because she doesn't like wet ground!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by jeandecker76, Oct 18, 2020 at 3:59 AM.

1. jeandecker76

jeandecker76 PetForums Junior

Hi guys! I have a 1-year-old GR that became very stubborn while on her daily walk. She is in good health and looks forward to going outside but she doesn't like going for walks during the rainy season and it's rainy season where I am now. Do you guys have any shoes recommendations? Or any advice how I can make her walk even if it's wet ground. Thank you!!

2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

My boys aren’t keen on the rain it does help if I drive them somewhere so it’s new and exciting they forget the rain. Maybe take a clicker and treats so she associates rain with tasty treats.

Is it just in the rain ? Does she happily walk other days?

3. LittleMow

LittleMow PetForums Member

Is this a new thing? Just wondering if there's some reason she may not want her feet to get wet, other than not liking it? No idea what that could be, just thinking out loud.

Bodmin dislikes rain and in the early days didn't like wet grass, long wet grass he would refuse to walk on. Like @Boxer123 suggests I used treats and games to get him comfortable. He'll now happily walk, sit and lie down on it and he'll walk through long wet grass. Started with short damp grass (no rain), we played games and gave him treats, I never pulled on his lead, this would just make him worse and build up more negative associations. I just encouraged to play on the grass, throwing treats for him to find, playing tuggy etc. didn't try to get him walk on it at first. Gradually progressed to longer and wetter grass. This changed his view of being on wet grass to a positive one. Still doesn't like heavy rain, but can handle a shower :).

He's my first dog and I got these ideas from this forum, thanks people :D

4. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Is that a Golden Retriever?

I cannot believe it's the rain.

O2.0 and Torin. like this.
  5. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I was thinking the same. Water, how ever it comes, is the best thing ever.
    The only time Isla won’t go out in the rain is if it is last thing at night and it’s lashing it down. She just hangs on

6. Rottsmum

Rottsmum PetForums Member

I feel your pain, one of mine LOVES the water, rain, puddles, baths, whatever - the other younger one HATES it, he has to be literally pushed outside for a wee if it's raining. He will go out for a walk in the rain however as long as he doesn't have to walk through puddles so heavy rain is a no go.

7. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

What do you do when she doesn't want to walk?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice