Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My dog is peeing my bed

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Lwhite, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Lwhite

Lwhite PetForums Newbie

Hello,

I have a 7 month old daschund who has been a bit of a nightmare with toilet training to be honest. He still has accidents in tbe house with bad weather but if its dry and the door is open hell go outside, he wont ask to go though i do just have to watch him like a hawk for ths signs, my issue comes when im asleep and cant watch him, i dont see the pacing and he will pee my bed. I do know there are mixed options on dog in the bed however that's the position I'm in at the moment. Does anyone have any advice on how to encourage him to ask for the toilet? Is he too old to move to his own bed?

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’d go back to basics with toilet training tbh.

Avoid having the door open (probably too cold now ;)) as that doesn’t help with training the bladder/bowel or asking.

Don’t rely on him asking. Gradually get him used to holding for longer and especially through the night. If necessary set an alarm just before he usually has an accident and get him outside to reinforce “outside toileting only” and break the habit.

Obviously, never scold inappropriate toileting but much praise when he toilets outside.

Ensure he empties before bed (a short walk to the nearest tree or lamppost if necessary).

Give him a bed right next to your bed so you can touch and talk to him if he needs help to settle. You’ll likely hear him if he stirs and needs a wee so can get him outside.

Might be worth getting a wee sample checked too in case he has a uti.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice