Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My dog is obsessed with other dogs! What can I do?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Bethuxx, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Bethuxx

Bethuxx PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone!
    So my dog is a year old and used to have no problem walking off lead. Me and my partner take him to the local dogs only park once a week, where the dogs play and chase each other and have fun.
    Since then we cannot let him off the lead on our usual walk as he will chase any dogs he sees, not listen to us and follow other dogs. He’s becoming a nightmare to walk as he will cry and pull whenever a dog walks past.
    Even in the garden, if he hears another dog he will Howl and not settle for an hour or so. He is not food motivated in the slightest so will not settle even if we give him treats to distract him.
    Any training tips will be much appreciated!

2. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Well the first thing to do is stop taking to the local dogs only park. How is he to understand that one minute he's allow to 'play and chase each other and have fun' and the next he's not allowed to do it.

Sairy, LittleMow, tabelmabel and 4 others like this.
  3. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

As you've unfortunately discovered, dog parks don't help when it comes to training. They create a dog who thinks that every time you go to a park it's going to be a 'free for all' and he will be allowed to run around and play with all the other dogs. As Twiggy has said, stop taking him to dog parks and start taking him to quiet areas where you can do some training. I'd be off to a good dog training class too where they can teach you how to get him to focus on you rather than other dogs. Just make sure they use reward based training rather than choke chains or pack leader rubbish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice