UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to these forums but so far I am really enjoying reading about all of your pets. :)

I have a 6 year old shih tzhu male called Kenny. We have had him for 3 years now. He was given to us by a friend who had to many dogs and could no longer cope with them. He is usually a very calm and lazy dog and very obedient.

Recently I was bought 2 baby rabbits as I birthday present as I am a huge animal lover. They are 8 weeks old. They are both dwarf rabbits, one a lion head and one a lop. They are very lively and full of energy. :001_smile:

Ever since I bought the rabbits home Kenny is obsessed with them! Their cage is in a heated conservatory that follows on from our living room. Kenny will continuously sit at the door and scratch at it, wine and cry until he is let in. When he is let in he will sit next to the cage watching them for hours. We get the rabbits out every day and let them have the run of the kitchen. Kenny will cry when he knows theyre in there and sit at the kitchen door until he is let in. We let him in and made him lay down so he could watch them, but not get too excited, as he gets very over excited when they are around. When they approach him, as they are not scared of him at all, he will lick them and let them climb all over him. He also sniffs them, and wherever they have been like crazy. He cries every night until early hours because he cannot see them and has stopped eating or wanting to go on walks because he is constantly trying to get to them, just to sit and watch them.

Help, what do I do? :confused:

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
How long is he in their company during the day? I would be tempted to let him be in their company until the excitement has worn off a little then try some trick training to distract him, see if he will take a treat or some dinner.

Not heard of this kind of obsession before though, so better advice will probbaly come along :) They are all gorgeous though! and welcome to PF as well xx

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
My shih tzu was like this over my rats, though not quite as bad. He loved watching them and would do so far ages and made a thing of coming into my room to check on them regularly.

I'd say maybe make hanging out with the bunnies part of your routine, then do another activity with him straight after. That way, he might get into the habit of knowing "right, we see the bunnies now, and then we go and do this" I know shih tzu's have memories like elephants and are very set in their routines so this might be an idea to try?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. I was searching the Internet to try to find an answer to this exact problem and I noticed your post from 2012. What did you do to solve your dogs obsession with your rabbits? My dog literally cries all day long trying to get into the room where the rabbits are. Every time I bring out anything from that room like when I clean the cage or anything he’s obsessed with smelling the blankets or dirty papers or whatever it is that I brought out. Since it’s been 10 years since you posted this post I’m assuming by now you had an answer to what you ended up doing. I’m becoming desperate. I can’t get my dog to be happy anymore. Please help me.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Hello. I was searching the Internet to try to find an answer to this exact problem and I noticed your post from 2012. What did you do to solve your dogs obsession with your rabbits? My dog literally cries all day long trying to get into the room where the rabbits are. Every time I bring out anything from that room like when I clean the cage or anything he's obsessed with smelling the blankets or dirty papers or whatever it is that I brought out. Since it's been 10 years since you posted this post I'm assuming by now you had an answer to what you ended up doing. I'm becoming desperate. I can't get my dog to be happy anymore. Please help me.
The original poster hasn't been back to this forum since 2012 so you're unlikely to get an answer.

Have you spoke to a trainer or behaviourist about this behaviour? What breed is he? What do you do with him when people are coming and going from the room? Will he be preoccupied with a favourite treat in a kong instead of the rabbit's room?

My first pair of rescue rabbits were signed over because of the previous owner's dog being unable to leave them alone. They had a lifelong fear of the sounds of dog growls.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts