Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My dog is bloated

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Engel98, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums VIP

I have a 1 yr old male bichon frise. I have noticed this evening that he is quite bloated and constipated. He's not his usual chaotic self. He's still eating and drinking and peeing no problem but as I said he's constipated. He has had a big poo but it took him a while :(

He's on 5mg Prednisone a day and I feed him royal canin anallergenic as he has allergic skin disease. He's currently on an elimination diet so I can't really give him anything like pumpkin to help him go.

Other people in the house are like 'we'll see how he goes'. I'm kind of worried, thinking bloat, but he's able to pass stuff in a fashion. Also releasing gas from both ends like a trooper.

Any ideas? He's got the vets Wednesday anyway.

2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

If you suspect actual bloat, it is a medical emergency and he needs to see the vet immediately. If he were mine, I wouldn't mess around, I'd take him to the after hours vet right away.

At the very least I would call your emergency vet, explain his symptoms and ask them how to proceed. I suspect they will have you bring him in.

3. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums VIP

Beau's now settled so I have the chance to give an update. Beau saw the vet, he hasn't got bloat or a blockage thankfully. He's got some antacid to take and we're dropping the pred to half (2.5mg) as she suspects it's that giving him an upset stomach. Also the food may be playing a role. It may not be suiting him digestibly even though it's working wonders on his skin. (Every other food has been the other way around). So seeing my normal vet next week for a re-check and see how he's going on half a tablet.

Lurcherlad, Torin. and rona like this.
  4. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

We nearly lost Dillon to bloat it can kill in hours, you really should see a vet NOW!

5. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Dog has seen the vet now :)

Glad he's okay @Engel98
    Did he end up having to go after hours?

6. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums VIP

Very nearly. It was odd as he went for a huge poo and deflated...all the bloody way he seemed quite happy with himself, went for a wee, came in, had a drink, burped and went back to bed like nothing happened. His tummy was soft and he was in no pain at all. Weird.

It kinda pit my mind at rest because dogs with bloat can't burp or pass gas, they can't eat/drink because they bring it back up. With blockages they can't poo

It was a case of me dialling the out of hours and him deflating as I press call -.- worse thing is he loves the vets

7. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Not always true.
    Bloat - gastric dilation is a distended stomach, dogs bloating can and sometimes do burp and pass gas.
    Bloat can lead to GDV - gastric dilation and volvulus, where the stomach twists on itself and it can happen in seconds. Once this happens, shock can set in in minutes as the circulation to the intestines and stomach is blocked.

Just because a dog is eating and drinking as they might in the early stages of bloat doesn't mean bloat isn't a medical emergency.
    A dog can go from bloating to torsioned in seconds. And often bloat doesn't present with classical symptoms, sometimes the dog just seems off without any of the classic symptoms of bloat.
    Since a dog can go from bloating to GDV in seconds, I would always treat any suspicion of bloat as an emergency.

Happy Paws2, Engel98 and Torin. like this.
  8. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums VIP

Fair enough. Although what would I tell them on the phone if I had called out of hours? My dog was bloated but he had a poo and deflated. I would have sounded like a right Muppet :( if he hadn't of deflated then I obviously would've stayed on the phone. But in that situation what do you say?

9. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

For future reference; better to sound like a muppet than have a dead dog????

Pleased to hear your dog is OK.

10. Happy Paws2

Always treat BLOAT as emergency, better a false alarm than loss your dog.

11. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums VIP

Yes Im aware of this. He would've been seen straight away if he hadn't have deflated. I know it sounds stupid. But I doubt they'd do anything at that point as he is like nothing happened :/

He literally got a full go over and vet said other than him being constipated and have tummy ache there's nothing wrong with him everything is normal. I don't understand why or how.

Anyways he's had 1/2 pred tab and so far so good. No itching, bloating, nothing

12. Happy Paws2

I'm glad his OK and it wasn't as bad as first thought, it's just when I see or hear the word Bloat I almost go into panic mode.
    Dillon Bloated twice we were so lucky we acted so quickly and his life was saved, in the end the vet sewed his stomach wall to his ribs so if it happen again his stomach couldn't twist and risk his life again.

rona, Engel98 and Kakite like this.
  13. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums VIP

That's completely understandable! Poor Dillon im glad he survived and it can't happen again

14. Happy Paws2

Yes afterwards Dillon was fine, and it never happened again, he was a very happy boy.

Engel98 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice