Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My Dog Hates Joggers!?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by millybultitude, Feb 20, 2014.

1. millybultitude

millybultitude PetForums Junior

My 6 month old puppy is perfectly fine off the lead, perfect recall everything.
    Until she sees a jogger…she's off. Ignoring everything, our voices, the whistle everything!
    She'll chase them barking and growling. I'm sure it's scary for them! So we've had to keep her on a lead as soon as we see one.
    We've tried to get her use to them by having one of our family members jog past and she reacts the same.
    Any advice please? :)

2. Apollo2012

Apollo2012 PetForums VIP

My boy doesnt like joggers either but only on pavements and thats because one ran into him as a pup usually I will get his attention when I see someone a distract him with treats or a toy until theyve gone past

3. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Sounds like she loves them to me! ;)

Seriously dogs are bred to chase running things, so if she likes chasing, as David Ryan says, change the target not the behaviour.

Get her to chase a ball or a frisbee before she gets herself and you into serious trouble!

4. millybultitude

Yeah that's fair enough, but she hasn't had a bad experience :/ but yeah thank you will try that

5. millybultitude

Haha! Yeah I suppose…Thankyou! Will try this x

6. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

As smokeybear said; change the target. My eldest dog loves to chase - so when he wants to I award not chasing something I would rather he didn't with a chase of something else. Sounds alien - rewarding not chasing with a chase but it makes a huge difference to my dog (he exhibits unwanted behaviours if he hasn't had the chance to chase for a while) and puts me in control.

7. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

Where is this happening? Is on on pavements/roads? If so maybe not a good idea to have a dog offlead near a road. If it's somewhere safe like a beach/park then you should see the jogger in the distance so could get her attention and you could change direction or, as said, give her something else to chase like a ball.

8. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Joggers often come from behind..................

9. DirtyGertie

....... and that's where the suggestion of something else to chase, as also suggested in other posts, comes into play.

10. bearcub

bearcub PetForums VIP

Yep redirection worked really well for us. Freya our Collie loves to chase and shows interest in joggers, cyclists, unexpected vehicles in the woods, animals etc. A squeak from her Kong ball completely brings her attention back to me. Even the anticipation of a ball chase is enough to prevent anything else capturing her attention.

11. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

Amber didn't like joggers at first, I think it was the fact that she didn't meet many strangers as a pup and wasn't taken out and about seeing people run and get used to it. Problem is joggers can and will use off road areas to run so it leaves you at a disadvantage if you've got a dog that's worried by them.
    What helped us was that joggers stopped so it stopped Amber from chasing them whilst we got control.

12. DirtyGertie

I have a Kong squeaky ball I keep in my bag when on walks. It's my "last resort secret weapon" if she's so engrossed in something she ignores all other recall techniques. There's something about the squeak that brings her straight back, she gets a reward for doing so :). Thankfully I don't have to use it very often but for some reason it's the one thing she can't resist.

13. millybultitude

She's never off lead near a road.
    But in the field where we are. I usually do, but sometimes they come round the corner and I can't see them...

14. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

15. millybultitude

Some joggers stop, some carry on, which makes the situation worse :/

16. millybultitude

17. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Sometimes as a runner it's hard to know what to do. I am chased fairly often when by roads (shouldn't happen!!) and off road. If I see an offlead dog I slow and stop if they are way too interested but if they are offlead and an owner makes no move to get them I sometimes wrongly assume that they will ignore me. What usually happens is I am chased with the owner shouting out that they love to run with people or similar. I get narked when I have been tripped up, knocked over by a dog from behind, bitten and running kit ruined :mad5:. I try my best as a runner (hate jogger :eek:) to be courteous to dog owners but it is a shame some dog owners don't treat me in the same way!!!

18. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

These irresponsible dog owners are lucky you have not reported them to the police under the DDA and/or taken civil action and sued them.

I would!

Everyone has the right to walk, run, jog, skate, cycle unmolested by out of control dogs, children, or people.

:mad5::mad5::mad5::mad5::mad5:

19. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

They are lucky indeed. Tricky where we live right now - and pretty much no one has any respect for anyone else, as long as they are OK that is all that matters :mad5:. It is precisely why I drive my dogs somewhere else to walk them as often as I can as well as enjoying trail running away from my immediate home environment.

20. millybultitude

Yeah I understand, I try get her back, go over quickly and apologise if they haven't run off!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice