Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My dog has irregular stools.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Areli, Jun 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Areli

Areli PetForums Newbie

Hello! I’m new around here and just want some insight. I’m going to add a photo so be warned..I have a 5 year old chihuahua that’s eating Merrick Healthy Grains. 1/4 cup for breakfast and dinner. I switched her to this after she started having issues with Nutro Essentials. Her poop started to turn yellow and she had constant diarrhea. Our vet gave us some Microflora to add to her meals. It seemed to help and when I switched to the new kibble she got way better. Her stools were normal. However, lately her stools change in consistency and color. In the mornings it seems normal and throughout the day it just gets mushy and lighter. I took this photo of her most recent bowel movement. I’m not sure if I should be worried about it or not. This one seems to be half firm and half mushy, hard to pick up and lighter in color. Or is that normal ? I don’t give her too many treats, but when I do it’s veggies or A banana slice. Occasionally some peanut butter and sometimes a lick of cream cheese. These past few days I haven’t given her any of that food. Just a few kibbles as treats.

Attached Files:

2. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome.
    Have you considered cutting back her food a bit? Sometimes over feeding can result in formed followed by looser pooh.
    I’d continue as you are, cutting out treats and sticking with her food but try gradually decreasing it a bit. The recommended amounts are a guide and can differ dog to dog.
    Mine generally has 3/4 recommended with a little more in winter.

lullabydream and niamh123 like this.
  3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

One of mine was doing this, morning one normal then getting looser and looser till eventually it was really runny and going copious times. A total change of food has stopped it thank goodness. A friend had one similar and a change of food cured him too. Mine is complicated by having pancreatitis so had to have a change of food anyway.

lullabydream and Mum2Heidi like this.
  4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Could you post the contents of those foods? I've not heard of either brand, but 'healthy grains' leaps out as possibly being a cause. Grains are not often all that healthy for dogs, who naturally don't make a lot of the enzyme amylase which is needed to break them down and digest them.

wee man, niamh123 and caterpiller like this.
  5. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

I've heard of the brands, but they're American ones (and the PR wording they use is very different to what would score points in the UK), so I don't know all the relevant details. I do know that "healthy/ original/ ancestral grains" is the wording many of the big USian brands brought in for the PR campaigns for new food ranges after the 'your foods are 75% legumes if you add up all the 928345789 different ones' fallout.

Although this is a forum with international membership, it's UK-based and most of the members will only have detailed knowledge of foods available in the UK. Definitely best to include all the nutritional information and analysis that you have, @Areli, so that we can give informed advice :)

lullabydream and caterpiller like this.
  6. Woah

Woah PetForums Member

In this photo I can see she’s been eating grass. This poo looks normal for one which contains grass at least. Have you tried probiotics or even a little natural yoghurt to help aid digestion?

7. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

As a chihuahua owner with over sized Chi at 4 kg. That looks a lot of poo for size of dog. Although.. A picture can say a thousands words so they say and isn't always accurate

Regardless of food, I have fed food with grains, without grains obviously and 1/2 cup American measurement of kibble regardless of 'feeding guides' is a lot.

I would definitely think this could be over feeding..

Does the mushier poo happen on walks?

Torin. likes this.
  8. Jimmie O'Chutt

Jimmie O'Chutt PetForums Junior

Hi there! Maybe she has a food intolerance. There are a lot of dry foods created for dogs with the sensitive gastrointestinal tract. Try switching her diet to grain-free. Probiotics can help too.

9. Olaf1

Olaf1 PetForums Junior

Stop giving things on the side.
    Kibbles only.
    See how it goes.
    If it remains, change kibbles, quit the grain free trend which can be very rich in legums you dog might be unable to process. :)

10. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Most UK grain-free foods don't contain legumes.

11. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

But, unfortunately, most US grain free foods do - and the OP seems to be in the USA. Having said that the OP doesn't seem to have come back to the forum after creating the thread, so I don't think replies 3 weeks later will help them much!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice