Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My dog has had 3 seasons and shes only 7 months old.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Rolyforever74, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Rolyforever74

Rolyforever74 PetForums Newbie

Wonder if someone could help me before I go to the vet again.My Miniature Schnauzer has come into season again for the third time and shes only 7 months old!!:confused: I took her to the vets when she had her second season(in November 2011) and she said it sometimes happens in small breeds but she didn't really say anything else.She checked her over and said she was in good health.£20 that cost and now she is in season again!I want to know if this has happened to anyone elses dogs??Never heard of it before myself.Thanks in advance. :)

2. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Is that even possible? I've never heard of that before. Could it be possible she has a uterus infection or pyometra? What is her vulva like? What is her discharge like?

3. Rolyforever74

Her vuvla is swollen and she has been licking it for about 2 days now.Today she has started only lightly with blood patches.I am going to phone the vet tomorrow as I too think this can't be right-poor thing!:(She is eating regularly,everything with her waterworks and pooing is fine.

4. shetlandlover

shetlandlover PetForums VIP

Has there been blood all 3 times?

If not she could have had a split season, I have no experience of this myself but it can happen. My bitch is regular or was every 6 months until this time when she went 7 months. :eek:

If your bitch is having so many irregular seasons surely that puts her at risk of pyometra? If your vet is not being helpful try another vet and see what they say.

1 person likes this.
  5. Bullymastiff

Bullymastiff PetForums Member

Never heard of it before either, but dosn't sound great. Vet seems a bit dismissive..sounds like it needs more investigation and maybe get her spayed as soon as possible?
    If you dont get anywhere with your vet i'd change and see someone different, its amazing how much less stressful it all is when you finally find a good vet!

6. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

If she is only 7mths old and considering usually a female doesnt have a season until 6mths plus it really doesnt seem right to me. I have never heard of this before.
    I know even young dogs can get infections, one of mine got one just before her first season. Personally I think I would be getting a second opinion.

7. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Assuming this is a season I would get her spayed as soon as possible. I had one that had seasons every 3 months so it was quite hard to fit in her spaying but we had to compromise on it.
    Not every bitch is text book but she sounds a bit abnormal so I would have a chat with your vet and see what the soonest is he will spay her - but do be careful she has not got an infection rather than this being a normal season.

8. Rolyforever74

Thanks everyone.She has had bleeding all 3 times.I will get a second opnion.The vet I saw last time was a locum vet at my usual vets so I will mention all this on the phone before making the appointment.When I have walked her lately she seems to wee very quickly as if she marking her teritory as well,she crounches down but its usually only a short wee.This i will also mention to my vet.I thought this was all connected to her coming in season.
    Izzie is 7 months old and is a Salt and Pepper Miniature Schnauzer.

9. tashax

tashax PetForums VIP

My bitch had 2 seasons by 7 months and me and my vet made the decision to spay early as something was obviously not right, i would go to a different vet and get a second opinion

10. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

it doesn't sound right to me. you need to see a different vet for a second opinion . x good luck

11. Rolyforever74

I'm getting worried now just because we do when we love our pets and that I took the word of a vet back in November.:eek: Have looked into Pyrometra but only on the internet.Did you think with your dog she might of had anything else wrong with her?

12. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

There's a pyometra sticky on the health & nutrition section on here.
    I personally would see a different vet and book her for a spay as soon as the vet thinks it's safe for her. :)

13. Rolyforever74

Thanks so much! You have beautiful dogs.I will take a peek now.:)

14. tashax

tashax PetForums VIP

My vet never suggested what might have been wrong with her he just said it wasnt right and that in his opinion an early spay would be the best thing for her

15. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

You're welcome. :)

Poor lil girls, not fair to have to go through all this at such a young age! :(

16. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

i agree with the others and would get her spayed as soon as possible, she will certainly have an increased risk of getting pyo, hope eveything goes well for her at the vets x

17. Rolyforever74

Thanks everyone.We went to the vets today and Izzie is having an Ultra sound next Thursday.The vet said it is unusual but has seen it before in other small breeds.The vet wants to make sure that she does not have nay cists on her uterus and also will look then whether or not to get her spaded.I feel better now an ultra sound is being done and that the vet seemed confident in whst she was checking for. :)

18. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Glad they are going to check it out, this way at least if there is any problems you can have her spayed asap, and then that should be an end to the worries. Will be better for her too, it cant do her any good keep having seasons like this either especially in so short a time.

Hope everything goes OK, keep us posted how you are getting on.

19. AlexArt

AlexArt PetForums Senior

4 of mine were ther result of a large breed bitch pup having weird seasons, her owner let her have her first season and had her booked in 3 months later for a spey. She came into season again 6 weeks after her first season and they didn't realise. She was living with her brother who was booked in for the snip at the same time as her spey, they didn't notice until they went to the vets for a cut she had on her leg, she was a big fluffy lab x rottie, the vet asked why she was so round, got the scanner out and hey presto she was in pup!! 2 weeks later, the week she was due to be speyed, she had 9 of them, and the poor thing was only 9 months old herself - all by her brother!!!!:eek: So it does happen even in big dogs!!:rolleyes:
    As others have said I'd get her speyed as soon as safe to do so, good luck and keep us posted.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice