Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My dog has cancer

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Charlotte Brewster, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Charlotte Brewster

Charlotte Brewster PetForums Newbie

I hope im ok posting on here as hes only just been diagnosed vet seems to think he has a couple of months and is suggesting steriods to help him but i just need to know what to look for when its getting too much for him cos i no im going to want to keep him here as long as poss but i wudnt forgive myself if he was suffering just so i cud have a few extra moments with him
    Has anyone had to make that decision here? Also how do i stop being so angry he had a checkup end of sep they said he was fine

2. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Hi Charlotte, sorry you and your dog are going thought this.

You might get more help if you re-post this on Dog Chat more people go on there and I'm sure someone on there maybe able help you.

3. Charlotte Brewster

4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear about your dog. If you try steroids do be careful that he does not find the side effects too much. Some dogs are fine on them and some (like one of mine) is not. Just keep an eye on him and if he stops eating, stops enjoying walks and generally does not seem his usual self then the time might have come. He will know nothing about it and it is the last thing you can give him. Better to do it while he is reasonably well rather than wait till he is suffering. I had one with bone cancer, the vet reckoned she would last 3 months. She was going for walks and eating well then suddenly one night her breathing became very laboured and she was put to sleep the next morning. If only I had had a crystal ball I would have done it the day before she became distressed or even the week before.

margy, Rafa and LinznMilly like this.
  5. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Where is the cancer?

rona likes this.
  6. Charlotte Brewster

The lumps are in his throat the vet took a biopsy on mon said she shudnt tell us untill the results come back but she was 99% pos it was cancer she said she cud feel lumps all over him

7. Rosie64

Rosie64 PetForums VIP

I am so sorry you are having to face this with your boy.
    I am in a similar situation with my boy , he doesn't have cancer but has a spinal condition that causes him a lot of pain , he is
    constantly constipated and is suffering urine retention and will eventually cause him to become incontinent and loose the use
    of his legs , we are keeping his pain at bay at the moment with medication and he is still able to enjoy his life for now
    I am taking things one day at a time with the hope of him seeing Christmas out
    but with the first sign of any deterioration or the meds are not working any more I shall say goodbye to my boy .
    I would rather do this while he is still enjoying life than wait until he is suffering , I feel it is the final act of love that I can give him
    to let him go with dignity before he suffers too much .
    but obviously it is a personal choice and you must do what you think is right for your boy .

LittleMow and rona like this.
  8. Charlotte Brewster

Thank u all for ur replys how do i no wen hes there? I took him to the vets on mon because he hasnt been himself not wanting to go out but hes eating fine dose this mean hes there now? I dont want him to suffer but wot if he cud have a great couple of months left with the steroids and i read somewhere that a change in diet cud help. I just dont want to get it wrong

9. Rosie64

Rosie64 PetForums VIP

I am sorry but no one can tell you when it is time for your boy , we don't live with him and see him daily , you know him best .
    If you think the steroids may help then try him on them and see how he goes and take it from there .

rona likes this.
  10. Kaily

Kaily PetForums Senior

I'm sorry for news you received about your boy. You need to absorb the news for a few days, it is very difficult to know what to do in theses circumstances. I would definitely try the steroids and see if they help him. It is good that he still has his appetite.

Keep him comfortable, spoil him and try and make the most of whatever time you have with him.

11. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry.

Last year my sweet boy was put to sleep, he had Lymphoma.
    It was very fast, little lumps appeared around his throat. By the end he was covered in them and they grew rapidly and got really big, especially the ones around his neck.
    We didn't give him any treatment as we knew there was no cure & didn't want him dealing with side effects of medication. He was just spoiled rotten for his last few months.
    He was happy, healthy and so normal for about 3 months after the lumps came up, but then one night he started to cough, his breathing was getting loud, and he just looked completely fed up, and that's when we knew it was time. We took him the next morning.
    I can't really explain it, but you just know when it's time.

12. LotsaDots

LotsaDots PetForums Senior

My mum's American bull dog had lymphoma he was diagnosed then had to be pts 3 months later. She had him on cbd oil for a bit which she swears helped but who knows. I was there the day she took him and you could just tell it was time, the light had gone from his eyes and he was finding it hard to breathe if he moved around too much. Its just the worst thing to have to do especially when the decision has to be made but it's better a day too soon than too late. Big hugs to you.

13. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

So sorry you're going through this.
    It can happen very quickly and there could well have been nothing to see or feel at the end of September.
    What to look for - not eating. With lumps in the throat, a wet food should be easier to manage for him.
    Restlessness and withdrawal can be indications of pain. Lack of interest in walks or activities he normally enjoys.
    My dog was diagnosed with advanced abdominal cancer in July, the vet said she might go on for 6 weeks, but just one week later she was reluctant to eat and was clearly uncomfortable so I went back for euthanasia.

14. rottieboys

rottieboys PetForums Senior

I am so sorry to hear your dog has got cancer. My Honey had a sore paw, after a long time with antibiotics. Biopsy was taken, was told that it was cancer in her toe. Her chances was good once we had the toe removed. So the toes was removed. Honey seem to be back to herself again. 10 month later ,she was more tired. So I took her back to another veterinary, as my one had closed down. They sent us down to one of their sister veterinary as they did n't have a scan machine. My beloved Honey Had cancer all over her stomach. I could of had her p t s there and then. But
    the vet said with steroid I could extend her life another few more months.
    I did not want to leave her at this veterinary, which I did n't know. I wanted to take her home. I wanted to make a fuss with her. It took 10 days later that I had to rush her to the vets to be p t s. She was having seizures, which was awful to see . I personally think I should of said no to the steroid, spent a few days with all the family making a fuss over her. Then take her to the vets. This has taught me. Not to let another dog go through with that again.

15. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Wait till you get the results and are sure it is terminal. At that point you cannot get it wrong unless you leave it too long. Too early is never wrong. I did go through a list for you but basically if he does not want to go for walks, does not show a lot of interest in things and is different from his normal self then it is sensible to consider it for his sake. Eating is not always a great indicator as greedy dogs will eat on their death bed! I do not think everyone knows when the time has come, some people are blind to body language and I have seen dogs being kept alive that have no quality of life. One couple told me that their dog with advanced cancer and barely able to move and skin and bone was not suffering because it was not yelping. It is hard to tell you when to do it without seeing the dog but basically never feel guilty if you do it too early and do feel guilty if you look back and realise you let him suffer.

I hope you get the results soon so you can plan ahead. Your dog has no idea if he is being put to sleep or just examined by the vet. He will have no regrets over dying, just over suffering so make sure you look at it from his point of you and not yours.

rona, LittleMow and LinznMilly like this.
  16. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

17. Charlotte Brewster

Thank u all so much for ur replys they have helped im going to talk with my vet and go from there.

rona and Blitz like this.
  18. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

A very good question to ask your vet is 'what would you do it if it was your dog' I find I get a very definite answer then rather than their normal way of putting options forward and leaving it up to you. The days of vets giving good advice on end of life seem to be gone.

LinznMilly, margy and DanWalkersmum like this.
  19. jetsmum

jetsmum PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I was faced with the decision a few short weeks ago. My lovely dog Jet had to be pts when his health deteriorated very quickly. It's a horrible decision to make, but it's the last act of love we can give them. I can't really add anything to the good advice Blitz has given.
    I just want to say that when the time does come, please don't be afraid that your dog will have some kind of nasty end at the hands of the vet. I was with my little one, when the injection was given and it's so quick and painless, Jet just closed his eyes as if he was just going to sleep the same as he did every night.

Blitz and LinznMilly like this.
  20. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

With the new lockdown, vets might go back to not having pets' owners in the building. If you can't just hand them over (I couldn't contemplate doing that) for euthanasia, there's a company called Cloud 9 who can come to your garden.
    https://cloud9vets.co.uk/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice