Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My dog has a lump on his knee

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Tango Man, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Tango Man

Tango Man PetForums Newbie

right, my dog had an op on his knee 7 weeks ago, hes been caged and was let out last week after the vet gae him the ok and his knee was deemed stable. Come home from work tonight though and although hes still moving normally, ive noticed a small lump on his knee. It feels fleshy, and is moveable.

He hasnt been digging at it, and as ive said his movement is still the same, I just wondered what this lump could be.

2. rona

rona Guest

Could it possibly be fluid?
    Whatever it is, it really needs checking.
    A friend of mine has just gone through an op like this and there was no swelling at all

3. Tango Man

feels more fleshy than water.

my first thought was perhaps a cyst.

4. sarahberra

sarahberra PetForums Member

I am so sorry to hear about your dog. You might want to give your dog some cod liver oil each day to help bring down inflammation inside the body.

5. rona

rona Guest

Has he had TPLO operation

6. Tango Man

not sure what that means.

7. rona

rona Guest

I've just looked back over your posts, it sounds as if it was. From your previous posts it sounds as if your vet said your dog would be ok after 6 weeks.
    My friend has been told 16 weeks.
    I would get the lump checked as it is a major operation

8. Tango Man

oh crikey, another one?????

what do you think has happened? the knee has dislocated again?

9. rona

rona Guest

Sorry I've no idea, but it is obviously not right. Hopefully it's nothing serious.
    It's such a hit and miss recovery period, best to be over careful, than have to go through it again
    Let us know how you go with the vet.

10. Tango Man

will book him in this morning.

On further analysis of the lump, it feels almost jelly-like. No swelling around the joint or anything.

I just dont want to go through the whole op again, it caused a lot of mither last time what with him being in a cage, I dont know what the situation would be regarding insurance either, as i already claimed for this op.

#10 Tango Man, Aug 18, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  11. rona

rona Guest

Hope all goes well.
    I think if you needed anymore treatment because of the op it would be classed as the same claim

12. Tango Man

Just seen the vet

She wasnt an orthopedic vet but her opinion was everything felt alright and the lump was probablt a bit of soft tissue or a stitch that hadnt dissolved and I just hae to give him anti imflammatorys for it to go, she wasnt overly concerned by it though. Didnt have to pay for the appt but she said I can get a second opinion from an orthopedic vet if I wanted.

Considering the person to point out the knee problem in the first place was a dermatologist, I think ill leave it for now. He doesnt seem to be in any discomfort and is quite happy to even stand his leg to pee.

13. rona

rona Guest

That's good, look after him :)
    Only a few more weeks and you can both get back to normal ;)

14. Tango Man

we more or less are:smilewinkgrin:

the vet last time said I can let him out of his cage now take him for walks but not left him off his lead till 10 weeks. Never let him off his lead anyway!

has a habit of jumping up at the back door whenever I go or he sees a cat. Gotta stop him doing that, easier said than done though!

she stuck a thermometer up his arse too which he didnt like, whenever I go to that vet she always puts something up his bum haha!!!

#14 Tango Man, Aug 18, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice