Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My dog got mauled by an Akita, i need advice.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by omni, Aug 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omni

omni PetForums Newbie

Hi there, new to these forums and a first time poster.

Anyways, i need advice as to what to do.. because i am fuming and so restless since my dog got mauled.

I was walking my dog a Bull terrier down the road and an old man with a Japenese Akita was walking towards us.
    I noticed the Akita was straining at the guys lead then the guy wrapped his lead around a lampost to give him leverage against his dog then his lead snapped.....

So.. the Akita come hurtling towards my dog, totally smashed into my dog knocking him over and starting mauling his back and giving the bite shake.

My dog a brit bull who is the most lovely gentle thing just lay on its front looking up at me confused as to what was going on, i wanted him to fight back and kick this dogs ******* ass... but we havnt brought the dog to be aggressive whatsoever, its the most gentle affectionate dog.

Anyways the Akita was just biting my dogs back so i started booting it to get it off and then i seen my dogs back rip flesh hanging loose etc...so i started kicking it with everything i had to get it off, eventually the old man came and got his dog off.. no appology or anything...

So i started walking my dog home obviously shaken what happened and raging.... my bully on the otherhand... was just trotting home like nothing had happened... with a big 8 inch gash in his back, puncture wounds all over him and covered in mud.
    We eventually got home, he had a drink of water then wanted to play with his new toy we bought him this morning... WTF?

Im confused...

First...what can the RSPCA do about this stupid Akita?

Secondly...how would i deal with this if something happened like this again?

And thirdly... how do i teach my dog to atleast defend itself if a dog is happilly tearing him to pieces?...since Brit bulls can kick ass apparently.

Im also confused as to why my dog just lay there taking a beating, getting his flesh ripped apart...i seriously thought he would of turned around and atleast bit this dog back... any ideas why my bully let this akita do this and not defend himself?

This was a horrible experience and costly too since its costing us £1000ish to get him stitched up.

What should i do?

#1 omni, Aug 2, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  2. Captain.Charisma

Captain.Charisma PetForums VIP

Awwww, your poor dog !! I hope its okay :)
    I would phone the RSPCA or somthing for sure, that Akita isnt safe in the public , sounds like its a ticking time bomb!

I would of thought a bull terrier would of had some fighting instict in him, if he was being attacked, i am very suprised. I suppose that is why his cuts, didnt seem to upset him too much. Maybe the Akitas pure size, dominated and meant he could defend himself.

But how to train your dog to fight back, while trying to make him dog and people friendly, is hard to balance.

3. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

HI. firstly welcome to the forum and I am sorry this had to happen.

Bull dogs were bred years ago for bringing down bulls (hense their names) and in the right situation they do become gladiators. However years and years or breeding and this has watered this instinct right down.

Akitas are one of the most powerful breeds, so it is possible that your dog just thought it best to submit. If it had fought back, the chances are it would have been seriously hurt.

Bull dogs have a lot of loose skin, plus they are powerful dogs, so it probably did not hurt that much.

I would report this to the police and RSPCA. They will not do much about it on this one occasion, but for all you know, there has been a number of complaints already. The owner is guilty of "having his dog out of control in a public place", but unfortunately they do not have the resourses to investigate every complaint.

I would also try to avoid this dog, because it could now see your dog as a target. If need be, carry a big stick so you can hit it with it.

With regards to a dog protecting itself, I would defo not recommend that you even consider this. In a human's world, a dog is not able to decide who is friend or foe, hense the amount of behavioural problems dogs have with aggression. Obviously there is training you can do, because the police train their dogs to react. But their dogs are put through months and months of training to perform this role.

Bull dogs these days are prob a lot different in build to what they were back in their bull fighting days. (I am not an expert on this though) I doubt very much whether the average bulldog would be able to do much fighting back due to their size and breathing trouble. So I would not recommened it for this breed anyway.

Finally what happened today is proof that dogs live in the moment. They just get on with their life and don;t dwell on things. However, if the handler does not get over it and begins to get nervous, this is where problems and phobias develop. For you dogs sake, try not to think of this when next out walking.

Sorry this has been such a long post!

x

4. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

I would be very interested to know whether the Akita has been neutered?

5. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I would contact the police as the akita is dangerous and the guy cannot handle it!
    What if there had been a kid? It should have at least had a muzzle on.

x

6. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

I agree with this!

7. tiddlypup

tiddlypup PetForums VIP

im a bit confused as to what dog you have,a british bulldog,a bull terrier ? either way be proud your dog didnt fight
    the dog needs reporting to the dog warden aswell as the police,you need to find the owner and just see if they may pay towards vet bill
    hope your dogs better,£1000ish id find a different vet

8. catellkai

catellkai PetForums Junior

You poor thing, it must have been very horrible for you to watch, must admit that my worst fear my dog getting attack.By the sounds of it the owner cant control the dog at all, the rspca would also asses the key facts, how aggressive it is? if the owner can even handle it?
    I would recommend contacting the police too as it may have done this before and more than likely it needs to be destroyed as it is a menace.They will even be able to assist with the rspca at getting it risk assessd.The jap akita is the world dog for just attacking as there not good at all with any other animals.I think in some instances they cant even live in pairs.
    I am so sorry has the man got back in touch since?

9. Yourgifts Ourgifts

Yourgifts Ourgifts PetForums VIP

Totally agree with the above posts, contact the police, what if it had of turned on you or even worse if there had of been kids about, my god does not even bear to think about..sounds like another silly owner who has a big dog just for show, these are a stunning dog but you gotta be fit to handle them..;)

10. sandymaynard

sandymaynard PetForums Senior

Hi
    first phone rspca and police
    Then just to be on safe side take photo's of your dogs wounds! Just incase the police do take it further!
    Then i would be very careful where you walk your dog!
    That man should have the dog taken away from him!
    In the right owners hands a akita is placid and well behaved!
    In the wrong hands it is a killing machine, he doesnot have any control over it!
    I would keep a very close eye on your dog for the next two to three day's!
    When rosie got attacked by a rottie! She went into delayed shock! it took two days for this to happen!
    It sounds like your dog used it's head and submitted!
    Sounds like to me you have a wonderful gentle dog one to be proud of!
    I hope he gets better soon
    Sandy

11. Dingle

Dingle PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear of your troubles & i hope your dog has a speedy recovery...:)

The way forward would be to report the incident to the police & try & find out where the owner of the out of control Akita lives.

12. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

Report to the police and your local dog warden. Dealing with dog-on-dog attacks is not part of the RSPCA's remit.

Hope your boy recovers quickly.

13. davehyde

davehyde Banned

sure hope your dog is ok. awful thing to witness.

i would try to find the owner and contact the police and c.a.b.

maybe a solicitors letter claiming the cost of treatment as well.

i woul also carry a heavy stick, with a very sharp nail through one end.

a decent whack to the head would do the trick if the nail got through the skull.

14. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

Hi so sorry this has happened to ur dog, deff report to police, dog warden and rspca, the owner obviously new his dog was agrressive as he tried to reinforce the lead so he should of at least put a muzzle on, also is there an rspca animal hospital in ur area? if the 1000 is too much u may be able to be referred over for that treatment.

your dog is a submissive dog and by lying down and not reacting (i think is a good thing as if he did then the guy could say ur dog is aggressive too) is submissing to the other dog, they can do some damage akitas i have seen before on a lurcher.

hope ur dog is ok and keep us updated:)

#14 rebenda, Aug 2, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  15. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

yes deffinatly a claim to the costs rspca wil prob recommend this

16. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I hope this is a joke, otherwise its the most ridiculous bit of advice ive ever read.

Firstly, you can be arrested for carrying a weapon if you were to do that. Secondly, there is absolutely no excuse to to physically wound and potentially kill an animal. Regardless of how this dog was acting, its not its fault, its the owners. Intentionally causing suffering is not only illegal, but a disgusting act of cruelty.

1 person likes this.
  17. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I'm sorry you had such an awful experience, you dog sounds lovely I wouldn't teach it to be aggressive.
    No one has suggested contacting the dog warden - this dog may be known to him/her.
    Did you get any contact details from the owner?
    It may be hard to do anything further with out knowing who the owner is.

The suggestion of using a stick with a nail in is abhorrent :mad:

18. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

The first thing you should do is get your dog checked over by a vet as he has been injured.

Secondly inform the Dog Warden and police - but unless you know the owner's address they will do nothing unless a human is injured(well my local Dog Warden would not)

19. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

It's exactly idiots like the Akita owner who give dogs bad reputations!!

I hope your dog is feeling better soon. The best thing you can do is meet more dogs so yours doesn't think all dogs will attack and become DA.

I would definatley report it to RSPCA, Police and Dog warden that way even if they don't do anything it is then on their records so if it happens again or has happened before hopefully something will be done.

Do you know the Akita's owner or where he lives? If you do or can find out I would either go and speak to him or write a letter asking for vets bills to be paid and maybe even advice on his dog (but then he didn't sound that bothered)

I don't want to cause an arguement but a dog that shows Dog aggression doesn't always have people aggression.

Even though it went for a dog it could be the softest dog round people.

20. davehyde

davehyde Banned

no i aint joking about the stick tongue in cheek about the nail, if my dog was getting mauled i would do ANYTHING AT ALL to save it. as would you too.

you would all do whatever it took when it happened so dont have a pop.

dont even pretend to be shocked because if you have never seen a serious mauling you havent been shocked.

i witnessed my smallest cat absolutely savaged by a staffy off lead right outside my front door and i did what needed to be done, no qualms at all.

the cat needed extensive surgery and had a crushed pelvis and still has pins in it's leg now.
    it wont leave the house and is only at ease with the pup.

so if any dog tried to maul any of my animals i would go all out and as far as i had to to prevent / stop it.

the police wont do nowt, theres no money in it.

you have a right to protect yourself and your pets, so if it upsets ya sorry but until you have been there dont judge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice