Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My dog doesn't really like strangers

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jobeth, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

My dog is a year old and is only really bothered about me, my niece/nephew and the lady he sometimes goes to doggy day care with. When I left him with my sister he whimpered for a bit and wouldn't take any food off of her. If a stranger comes up to stroke him he will back away from some and others he will go to them and then leaves. If they give a treat he drops it and will only take it if I give it to him. He doesn't bark at them and walks past people in the street. When he was a puppy he jumped up and I trained him not to and I wonder if that is why. Does it really matter as I want to do the right thing. Thanks.

2. 1 gold star from me :thumbsup:

3. gizzmo341

gizzmo341 PetForums Junior

at one year old they have soooo many hormone running through the bodies, get a mate to come in to the house a hold a treat out, sit or stand side on the to dog dont look at the dog and wait once the dog has taken one treat bring out the next treat and repet (treat ideas hot dogs, chicken, ect. if possible the only time the dog gets that treat is from the "stranger")

4. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

Thanks, but is it really important that he takes a treat from strangers?

5. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

It will make him associate strangers as good things, personally I wouldnt want my dog to go up to a stranger.

6. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Neither does one of mine he's a family dog loves his family isn't fussed by strangers he just ignores then or has a sniff and goes off

7. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

You know.. this is how I have mine apart from the treat thing.. Maizie would take any treat.. I really dont see it as a bad thing.. I mean you dont mknow what are in the treats others give your dog.. You dont know if the person approaching is dog savvy or not..

If Im out on a walk and someone bends to Bobby.. and he starts to approach I say down Bobby.. he usually then just toddles past the person.. I would rather he did this than jump over every stranger he meets..

#7 momentofmadness, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  8. gizzmo341

gizzmo341 PetForums Junior

the treat thing can go to way make you dog love strangers in and out of the house or just in the house

mine like people in and out of the house but if someone she didn't know and trust touches her lead if shes tied up or goes to put a lead on her if she is off her lead or pick her up she would attack them for it

9. rona

rona Guest

Mine walks straight past people, not interested at all, even when they are talking to him in a silly voice.
    I think it's a bonus :D

10. wynnpot

wynnpot PetForums Junior

I don't think it's a biggie, my old dog never bothered with strangers whatsoever, still doesn't. Almost a shame because everyone wants to give him some fuss! He wouldn't even be walked by someone he didn't know.

Just be wary of him backing away from strangers, and that you make sure you watch his responses and just tell people to leave him when he looks uncomfortable.

11. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Zipper won't approach strangers when we're out walking - but if we are in the pub or sat chatting somewhere he'll stay with anyone who's prepared to fuss him.
    Lilly is very loyal to her family and isn't interested in anyone else.

I think as long as they're comfortable with people coming into your home and approaching you and not barking/lunging etc when out and about then I don't think it's a major problem.

12. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

That is what I am working on achieving...Kilo did great today as I had a day's leave and went to a pretty busy National Trust place. I was really pleased that he managed to walk past everyone without trying to greet enthusiastically :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice