Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My dog does NOT like my new puppy

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Nelrie, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Nelrie

Nelrie PetForums Newbie

Hi I need some help integrating my new puppy into the family.

I have a one year old male Weim and I got a new bitch weim of 8 weeks old.

My male does not want to accept my new puppy. He almost bit her and keeps growling and snapping at her.

I can't even let him near her.

If any one has any advice it would be great!

2. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Most older/adult dogs don’t like puppies and resent a newcomer who has no dog manners coming into their patch. You need to give him time and not allow the puppy access to him until he relaxes and starts to become interested. Keep them apart as much as you can and only allow supervised access on occasions. It could take several weeks before he comes round to accepting her

Wild With Roxi likes this.
  3. Wild With Roxi

Wild With Roxi PetForums Senior

I recently went through a similar situation. We brought home an 8 week old female collie mix puppy, and we already had a 5 year old male bichon frise.
    It gets better, don't worry!

Give them time, don't keep them separate 24/7 unless it really really escalates, just supervise when they're together, but give the older dog space from the pup if he wants. Give the older dog more privileges so he doesn't think he's being replaced/his position is under threat etc. and try to not fuss over the pup in front of the older dog either. Walk them together, give them treats and train them together, play with them together and try to engage both dogs in fun games, make it all positive and avoid any situations where they have negative experiences with each other. A big thing to do is train the puppy to behave, don't let them jump all over the older dog an annoy him like crazy, teach her to be good and calm.

After a few days, maybe even weeks and sometimes a couple months they will accept each other, and maybe even become great friends like my two :)

Good luck xx :D

4. Wild With Roxi

Wild With Roxi PetForums Senior

Oh and..do you have pictures?? :D

5. Lisa Ward

Lisa Ward PetForums Newbie

i am going through the same thing with my two cockapoos my girl is 2 and the boy is 9 weeks. my older dog is so rough and with the puppy being so tiny i don"t know what to do, not enough is written about the problems that can arise. its so scary

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice