Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

my dog collapsted:(

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Eolabeo, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

hope u have some good news and hope ur dog is doing better

2. carol

carol PetForums VIP

i do hope she's ok
    and be wishing her well and back to her bouncy self very soon

3. Loe - fingers crossed for your baby!

4. Dawny

Dawny PetForums Member

It is possible she could be epileptic. It could be loads of things to be honest. I hope she's okay! She'll be in the best possible care at the vets don't worry! I am sure they are doing everything in their power to keep her comfortable and find out what's wrong.

5. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

sorry to take so long replying on ethels health.
    i rang up at 3 o clock and was told i can pick ethel up :) i was so releaved that ive been with her ever since picking her up x
    they explained to me that she has a sort of hip dysplasia, except her joint does not click in and click out like normal hip dysplasia, her hip joint is sort of swimming around if you like, so she is'nt aloud to run around as much as normal dogs because 1 move could well have the hip bone joint swim out and hit a nerve and her legs stop working again and she can collaps.

i was so gutting to hear this news because she's still a puppy of 16 months and loves to run around, her funny five mins last like 15 mins coz shes so mad bless her, she virtually does the wall of blooming death whens she's having a mad moment, for instance when i picked her up tonight and walked through my front door she was so pleased to be home she took off around my room like a mad thing and it was only a day ago she couldnt walk and was in distress, thats eng bull terriers for ya :D i grabbed her up like a panic stricken woman and calmed her excitment down with a cuddle, she feel asleep thank god.

when she has funny moments im gonna be a woman on the edge lol, wondering if her hip will swim out and stop her walking again :( , i mean... one min she's in a deep sleep and the next min u turn around and half ya furniture has been knocked down, plants gone flying, leather seetee is'nt in the spot you put it and there is a lil white streak wizzing past the doorway, lol , thats how bad she is.
    she has these mad moments about 8 times aday and that is not over exagirating, shes a very livley girly, they say there is never a dull moment having a eng bull around the house, good gawd that'll be right.

all i can say is im so glad to have my baby girl home :)
    ild so like to thank all of you for your concerns and all your support and well wishes x you are a great bunch of people and im so glad you was all here for me in my moment of sadness and worry x you really was a big help.

lots of love loe x

6. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Poor Ethel, is there anything they can do to help her ?

7. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Is she insured, and if so have they given you any options as to what can be done.

Veterinary medicine has really advanced and if you have insurance they may be able to operate since she is still a baby.

Great news for you both. Its amazing what prayers can achieve.

8. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

im afraid the vet said there is nothing that can be done, something to do with the ball of her hip joint staying in the socket, its not like the normal hip dysplatia. ( sorry i cant explain better im no good at explaining things like that.
    they said all i can do to make her comphy is try not to let her run around to much ( har har ) and also they are gonna give anti inflamitarys ect.
    im taking her back up the vets on monday for a check up , im gonna bring it up again about if her leg can be fixed in some way which i doubt, if they said it cant be fixed when i picked her up that obviously aint gonna change.
    but im going to look further into it on the net and maybe ring up other vets and get their opinion on it.

9. plumo72

plumo72 PetForums VIP

Aww hun i'm sorry there's nothing the vets could do. Maybe if she rests a bit it might be ok

10. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Good on you Loe. Don't you give up. You could try calling the royal veterinary college, and look on some of the American sites for further infomation.

My vet has offered Zak an MRI scan at a cost of £2,000.00 to ascertain exactly what his problem is. We are insured so can afford it, and would definitely have gone ahead had he been a youngster. However, at nearly 13 its a lot to put him through and there is little or no advantage, other than having a definite diagnoses.

11. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

ty plumo :).

12. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

ohh ty for that nina, ill have to check things out after ive been to the vet monday and see what they have to say again then go from there.

its such ashame when dogs like zak reach that age and we really cant do much about some of the illnesses they have due to their age bless them, all we can do is give them plenty of tlc and spoil them rotton and make them as comphy as we possibly can.

13. jan-c

jan-c Guest

Do you have a Hydropool close to you? This would help to keep her muscled up which in turn will help keep the joint in place and also use up some of that energy.

14. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

ty dh thats very kind of you.

ethel has tryed whizzing of around the room a good few times, its pretty hard to catch her at times where she goes so fast lol and she does it all of a sudden, but i have blocked one of her speeding routes of and thats the hallway and stairs :D, she starts of on the 2 seater seetee thats she lays on and leaps across to the 3 seater and back n forth a few times then she :Dheads for the hallway once shes smacked up my wall and then up the stairs but this time she wont get far hehe.

15. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

i realy don't know, i did'nt think of that, im gonna check.
    i really havent known a more demented dog in my life as ethel lol, shes not to bad indoors really, she does sleep alot beleive it or not but its just the bully moments she has, its more often then any other bully iv'e had and keep now.
    i always said she was unique lol.

16. jan-c

jan-c Guest

Your vet should have a list of pools in the area and this would do her the world of good for those hips. Once they have been a couple of times most dogs really enjoy it as well. I had a disabled puppy once that I used to take twice a week. He could not use his back legs properly to walk but boy could he swim! You would never have thought there was anything wrong with him when he was swimming and he loved it.
    Good luck with Ethel.

17. carol

carol PetForums VIP

i have spoken in the passed to a friend with this in one of her dogs

muscle does help to keep it in the joint
    so the more she has the better

18. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

she does love her runs over the fields every day thats for sure, im not going to take her just yet, ill give her a couple of weeks rest and just walk her over the road to see my mum.

poor sod hasnt had much luck with her legs, she broke one when she was 5 months old and now this, i swear she's mockered :(

19. carol

carol PetForums VIP

poor little thing she's going though it isnt she

20. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

yep but she's still happy :) bless her cotton.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice