Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

my dog collapsted:(

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Eolabeo, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

yesterday was very upsetting for me. Ethel my deaf english bull was mental as ever, doing her normal walls of death and playing with her toys ect so she was very happy and bright, i left to go out at 11 o clock, ethel always watches me go by the window so again all was normal.
    when i came back at 4 o clock with some shopping i was expecting the normal dog stampead and my shopping bags getting raded by the dogs be4 they even touch the floor but i came back to finding my ethel collapsed on the floor trying to walk but her legs wouldnt move, she wanted to come over so bad but she couldnt her legs was parralized.
    she was shaking badly and panting heavy.
    i burst out crying as i flew out the front to fetch my sister, she culdnt see what the prob was, we grabbed her up and rushed her straight to vet who asked me a number of question which none was any help.
    they took her away and said they are going to put her on a drip overnight incase she has shock and they are going to run test tomorrow ( which is today ). they also said they are going to put her down as guarded which tells the others she could die so watch her close.
    i did not get no sleep what so ever thinking about my baby and im not aloud to ring up till 11 today and i bet ya life i wont know anything by tonight.

i left nothing around my home, no poison, no medication no chocolate, she dont like chocolate anyways, shes fully innoculated so i really cannot think as to why shes gone like this.
    when i first see her like this i thought right away that maybe some f'er had poisoned her coz ive heard certain poison can paralized dogs for abit ect.

ill let u all know later how my sweet girl is getting on :(

2. bullyb

bullyb PetForums VIP

hi loe, that is sooo sad, hope shes ok....:)

3. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

ty bullyb :( im just sitting here counting the minutes. so frustrating not knowing.

4. Lost Bird

Lost Bird PetForums Member

:( hope she's ok hun xx

5. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

ty both very much, im just going give the vets a ring in 5 mins, with abit of luck i'll know whats wrong with her but i have a funny feeling they will want to run a few test through today aswell so i probs wont know till this evevning.
    again ty for your support x

6. Magik

Magik Guest

this happened to a dog of mine some years ago... she turned out to be epeleptic. - not sure if I've spelled that correctly, doesn't look right!! Anyway she was put on tablets and lived til she was 16!!

7. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Hi Loe, sorry to hear about ethel, could she have been having some sort of epileptic seizure, i've known a few English bulls who have seizures, just a thought hope she is okay when you pick her up.
    Jen

8. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Just noticed magik has beaten me to it, I answered the phone before writing the post.

9. Lost Bird

Lost Bird PetForums Member

my ex-'s dog started fitting - it worked out she had a tumour - obviously i won't go into the rest. Hope she's ok hun

10. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

i really don't know if she had a fit or what happened, i left her at 11 yesterday morning and she was her bouncy self, i came back at 4 to find her in the state she was in :(

i just got of the phone to the vets and they said she ate some food and had some water, she's had painkillers and antibiotics , they still have her on a drip and she still is'nt walking, they are going to run test this afternoon, her abdomin, spinal cord, and chest ect so im going to have to wait longer and ring back about 3 ish :(

i was reading on another thread about vaccine side effects, she had her 1st yearly booster a couple of weeks ago, wonder if that has anything to do with it hmmm.

ill keep you all updated later on.

11. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

just been sitting here thinking about what everyone has said about fits, my sisters old staffy began to have fits a few years ago, 2 weeks ago my sister woke up to find her dog in the same state as ethel, ( could't walk ect ) i wander if her dog had a fit in the night and ended up like my ethel? hmm
    makes me wonder now if ethel did have a fit wile i was out.
    im going to mention this to the vets.
    ty all very much for your views because they may very well come in handy x

12. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

Fingers crossed all goes well and she is back home fit and healthy very soon hun.

13. plumo72

plumo72 PetForums VIP

Bloody hell, i hope she's ok. Keep us updated

14. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

ty everybody, i will keep u informed, will know more about 3 ish, as i said i will mention about epileptic fits to the vet and see what they have to say, is there test the vets can do to see if dogs have eplilepsy or what ever its called?.

15. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

thx so much dh, if they haven't tested her for that today im gonna ask them if they will test her for it.

16. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Loe, my heart goes out to you. Coming home to a collapsed dog is utterly heart rending, since it happend to me with my first German Shepherd.

Is it possible that your dog was fitting I wonder. I am no medical expert, but working with dogs for so many years gives you an insight into various medical problems.

Please try not to lose heart. Your dog is now in the best possible place, and they will do everything they can.

Please do keep us all informed, and please God all will be well.

17. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

ty very much nina,
    it was a big shock walking in finding ethel in that state when normally i walk in to ethel and the others diving into my shopping bags trying to find all the treats i buy them, my other dogs must of known something was wrong because they didnt come near, they all stayed in their spots out the way, ethel was the only one trying to crawl to me bless her, i just burst out crying and ran for my sister, i was to scared to touch her coz i didnt know what had happened, after a few mins of shock i scooped her up and flew out the door straight to the vets.
    only 1 hours and 15 mins left then ill hopfully know whats wrong with her.

18. plumo72

plumo72 PetForums VIP

Have you heard any news from the vets?

19. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

hope all is ok, fingers crossed,

20. bullyb

bullyb PetForums VIP

is she ok???:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice