Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

my dog chased a cat-please help

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by dogowner15, Jul 28, 2009.

1. dogowner15

dogowner15 PetForums Newbie

hi all.
    i have just taken my dog out for a walk and the lead slipped out of my hand as it noticed a cat .
    the dog ran after it but the cat jumped a fence into its owners house and survived.
    the owner has just called at my home and said the cat is now injured on the back of its legs and claws.
    the cat is a pedigree and the owner has said its value is abt a £1000.
    my dog is a lurcher.
    does the owner of the cat have any legal right to claim for help with the vets bills???
    my partner and i both feel sorry for the cat.but with these hard times we are unable to help with any vets fees.
    any advice very welcome.
    thanks
    dave

2. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

Im not sure if they have any right but if they let thier cat out they have to understand that it may or will get hurt at some point.

3. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

i wouldnt have thought so

they should have insurence that will cover any acciedents

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

If your dog didnt physically touch the cat, then i cant see them being able to claim money from you.

If the cats a pedigree, it shouldnt be an outdoor cat, as they notoriously have little sense.

Sounds like they are trying to pull a fast one. No way would i allow a £1000 cat outside of the house.

In the eyes of the law, i doubt there is little they can do. Cats are exempt from many laws because of their wandering natures. thats why you dont have to stop if you hit one, but you do if its a dog.

Accidents happen, i dont see why you should be financially liable. If its an expensive animal, then im sure thay have insurance.

5. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

I dont know for sure, but as cats are classed as "free roaming" and a car could knock them down and it doesnt even have to reported, I would not think that they could make you do anything, especially as it was not on their private land - it is not as if your dog went into their garden.

however, as I own two kittens, I wouldnt have been very happy seeing a lurcher chase them :( but on the other hand, I keep mine in my enclosed back garden to prevent anything from happening to them anyway!

another thought too, you mention they have a pedigree cat - the cost of the purchase of the cat may have been a lot, but the cost of vet treatment should not be any more than for a moggie...did your dog actually hurt the cat, or did it get hurt from jumping the fence? if the latter, if it is just a scratch on the back of its leg and a split claw or something vets bills should not be much, so they might be trying their luck by the sound of it!

final thing, if you have pet insurance, the liability insurance would cover you for anything like this anyway, so if it came to it you could use this...? in fact your insurance company should be able to advise on where you stand on this...

agree with the others too that if their cat costs so much, you would think they would get pet insurance, esp if they are letting it outdoors!

good luck

#5 katiefranke, Jul 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  6. Oblada

Oblada Guest

Cat owners may know more about that but I would tend to agree - you let the cat out, you take the risk.
    I know for sure that if its hit by a car nobody has to stop as it is considered vermin (unfortunately) but dunno about damage inflicted by people and/or other animals.
    Under the general law of tort I would say possible compensation if there was serious negligence on your part (does not seem like it) but not otherwise.

7. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I think that legally neither animal was under control and therfore they are responsible for their own vet bills, however if you are insured you might be covered for any vet bills, so would the cats owner be if the cat is insured, many insurances also offer legal advice phone numbers so if you are insured I would check your policy. I own 3 cats and a dog so I can see it from both sides.

8. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Have you got your dog insured if so have a word with them tell them and tell them what happened or speak to the vet first to see how much it's going to cost. The ins. co. should pay most of the bill if the cats owner does claim against you.

9. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

:eek: i wouldnt let the people on the cat forum see you say that!! he he ;)

They are just classed as "free roaming" (rather than vermin which are like rats and pigeons etc), i.e. they can go where they please, which is why you dont have to report it if a car hit it - equally, if a cat caused an accident, then the owner would not be liable. Whereas for a dog, you would have to report it if hit and owner would could be liable for accidents caused etc, i.e. in the road.

10. Oblada

Oblada Guest

LOL its not me who said it (and I love cats just to be clear :D dont have one coz OH is allergic - I used to have 2) - its my driving instructor - the day I panicked/stalled in front of a dead (I hope..) catty on the road :(

xx

11. dogowner15

thanks so far to
    NONNIE
    DAYNNA
    MISS PUDDYCAT
    for ur comments.
    nonnie said what i said just seconds after the incident happened----
    if its a pedigree cat-what is it doing out......

the owner did state that he had insurance for the cat.
    will be interesting to see any other comments posted-
    which hopefully there will be.
    thanks so far.
    dave

12. dogowner15

well this seems to be getting a nice response.
    thanks everyone.
    our dog dosnt have any insurance.
    im sure there are plenty of dogs like that-so dont be hard on me for that please.

its also gd to see cat owners getting involved and being understanding .
    again thanks.
    dave

13. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

If the owners weren't around or in the house to see what happened could it not be possible the cat hurt itself awhile after your dog trying to chase it? I wouldn't even let a £100 cat wonder around never mind £1000. That's one of the reasons we don't have cats anymore. Would be worrying about where it was all the time!

14. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Accidents happen, if the cat is insured I personnally think the owner should just claim on their insurance and realise that this was not a deliberate act but just an accident. My dog loves cats but if they run instinct sometimes takes over and although his recall is usually very good I would not say he would never give chase.

15. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Same here mine love our cats and the neighbours cats are safe aswell even iof they run But a strangers cat in the street might not be so lucky im pretty sure they wouldnt ever hurt a cat but well you never know!

16. dogowner15

yet another update.
    the owner has already been to the vets.
    he has returned to say he would like £50 compensation for what seems like just 2 injections.
    he has supplied us with a vets bill......
    we have told him we will seek CAB advice in the morning(or more like listen to you lovely people).
    thanks again to all you who have commented.

as for one comment-----
    the owner heard the noise as his cat was being chased.
    so looked over the fence to see his cat jumping up on his fence.....
    so he knows that it was connected to the dog.

thanks.
    dave

17. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

We had the same situation a while ago. kaydee always chases cats.

She chased one and it got caught on some fenching. She tried making us pay for vets bills so i phoned the police and they said she has to have proof that kaydee hurt the cat. There was no bite marks and it was the cats fault getting stuck.

Turns out she done this as she had no insurance and couldnt afford to pay the bill.

18. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

All dogs chase cats and I don't think they have a leg to stand on. A dog near us killed another dog and nothing can be done because there isn't a law about animals hurting each other.

Their fault for letting such an expensive cat out in the first place. I certainly wouldn't pay anything anyway if my dog chased a cat and it hurt its legs jumping over a fence.

19. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Tell him to stick it where the sun doesn't shine the cheeky so and so.:mad:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice