Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My dog bites the lead and me while walking?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Emmalola, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Emmalola

Emmalola PetForums Newbie

Hi I was just wondering if anyone had any advice!
    My 2 year old cross frenchbulldog/olde English bulldog is the sweetest little girl while at home so loving and affectionate but when I get the lead out to take her for a walk she goes nuts, bitting the lead and nipping me.
    She gets real out of breath as she has worked herself up so much, as soon as we step outside she tries to rip the lead out of my hand and jumps up to bite me!
    I can no longer take my 10 year old daughter out for walks with us as my dog jumps up and bites her even while off the lead!
    It’s like my dog is scared and panicked while out?
    She is fantastic off the lead and recall is spot on, she never runs off far (it’s like she is scared she will lose us).
    I have tried taking a ball out with us to try distract her, also tried treats, I even used one of them dog buzzers that they can hear but we can’t (I feel bad for this as it must hurt their ears) but nothing gets her attention, she goes into a frenzy and looks so vicious but she really is not!
    She can not travel in the car as we have the same behaviour, screaming, panting and jumps all around the car!!
    Even before I take her out I feel myself getting nervous as it is embarrassing and really hurts my hand when she ripping the lead out of my hand.
    Even when she manages to get the lead she doesn’t run off she just tries to bite it in half!! When I go to grab it off her she tries to bite me.
    I’ve tried to turning my back on her while she’s jumping up for the lead and wait till she calms to continue walking, but she tries to grab the loop out of my hands nearly biteing my fingers.
    I try not to shout at her or tell her off for this as I don’t want her to get worse.
    When we get home she is very remorseful as I tell her “look you bit me”.
    Sorry for essay but in desperate help as I feel sorry her as walks are getting less and less.
    Thanks
    Emma

2. MissSpitzMum

MissSpitzMum PetForums Senior

First you need to think whether it is fear based, frustration based or plain old grot bag young dog based. If it is fear based then you'll need to work out what she is actually frightened of and work on making her feel comfortable around the trigger.

If it is frustration based, like she wanted to chase a cat but couldn't so she turned around and bit the lead / you, then you need to work at a distance from her triggers she is comfortable with and try and keep her focus on you / reward for doing something other than wanting to get at the trigger.

For grot bag young dog based (boredom mixed with frustration for being on the lead) I have a similar issue with my own dog, and @Siskin gave me the very best of advice for something that worked with her dog Isla. Basically ask them to do an alternate behaviour, one they enjoy. @Siskin recommended teaching your dog to find something, a bench or tree. I used Lamposts in the end since they are everywhere, and I can tell you it WORKS! However my dog was doing it because he was bored and wanted to engage me in a game of tug / chase despite being on lead.

#2 MissSpitzMum, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Burrowzig, Lurcherlad and Siskin like this.
  3. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Distraction can work well as @MissSpitzMum has said, it if your dog is so worked up that nothing getting through then it may not work. What you need to do is find something for your dog to look for, so on the case of my dog it was to seek out a seat as we had taught her what a seat was when we are out as we are getting on a bit and a nice seat to sit on is greatfully received. It was just a bit of fun really, but I found out it was a useful way of distracting her when she had those moments of jumping up and lead grabbing. Another one is to scatter a few treats on the ground for the dog to find.
    However I’m wondering if there is something more as she does sound very worked up. Is there any chance that that whatever equipment you are using is hurting her? Is she in a harness, is it to tight or rubbing, or if a collar is that somehow causing some pain. It’s possible that she has a neck issue that is being hurt when on the lead.
    What is she like indoors if you put the lead on and just left it to trail on the floor, make sure it’s one without a handle so it doesn’t get caught. Or use a light chain lead which can’t be chewed and most dogs find unpleasant to have in their mouths.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice