Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My dog bit my toddler!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by hazelkatseyez, Aug 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hazelkatseyez

hazelkatseyez PetForums Newbie

-Blank Post-

#1 hazelkatseyez, Aug 13, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

To stop him doing it again, you need to teach your toddler to respect the dog. They should never, not even for a minute be left alone together.

He cant verbally say "go away and leave me alone" so warned her. Theres a good chance he growled first.

Neutering him wont change his behaviour, and he isnt going to start being aggressive, but he does need to be given space and shown respect.

Might be an idea to stop your toddler from playing with them.

3. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

I'm sorry but leaving a toddler with 2 dogs is asking for trouble. There is one sure fire way to ensure this doesn't happen again..don't ever leave your child unattended with your dogs. I hate crates but in your case why not invest in a nice big crate that the dogs can call home and when you are not able to give your full attention pop them inside it and then you can relax knowing your child and dogs are safe.

Dap calmers or castration won't work on dogs that are being dragged about, mishandled or pulled by a small child you need to take responsibility to ensure the are never put in a situation where they feel the need to bite otherwise next time it could be alot worse.

Hope your little girl is okay and not scared by the dogs now.

4. hazelkatseyez

-Blank Post-

#4 hazelkatseyez, Aug 13, 2009
  5. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

From your post I can see that you've had the dogs longer than the children, when the children came along did you place them above the dogs... ie make them leaders like yourself ? If you didn't then this could be what caused the nip... in that the dog was maybe thinking 'you're not my boss so don't pull me around' :(

It's never too late to get the 'pack' in order but it's near impossible to put into words alone what needs to be done. The best I could suggest is watching Cesar Millan, he's brilliant and can sort pretty much any problem.

Getting a dog 'fixed' won't solve any problems with behaviour, a lot of vets will promote this as a cure all but honestly, it's not ! I've got 3 entire males at home and not one of them has ever nipped anyone.

Also, I would try to make sure that the little ones don't pull the dogs around like toys, it could have been a lot worse as you know. For the dog to respect them, they have to respect the dog.

Best of luck :)

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I dont think this can be classed as aggression. Every animal has the right to defend themselves.

He was communicating in the only way he knows how to.

If you are unable to keep them seperate, then maybe rehoming him may be for the best. Constant harrassment from a toddler can make even the most placid of dogs snap.

7. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I would seriously recommend teaching the kid not to drag the dogs around and to respect them more. It sounds like the dog just got nervous and they can't just say don't touch me thats how they say it. I would seriously recommend a crate or playpen for when you have to leave them in the same room otherwise this could happen again.

8. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

it sounds like it was a simple accident, dogs usually go for the face when they are excited and as adults we can cope with it, if he hasnt shown any aggression before he may have just been trying to play and she came off worse. I would have a word with your toddler and reassure he that everythings ok but not to tease the dog or it might happen again :blushing:

9. Changes

Changes PetForums VIP

This must be a real worry for you, I always take my dogs collars off in the house - this would stop your little one having something to get hold of and give your dog a chance to get away if he doesn't want to play x

good luck hun x

Mel

10. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

I have one big room downstairs and then the kitchen, there is a baby gate in the kitchen doorway to keep the dogs separate if need be. My house is pretty small too but I don't feel it cruel to keep the dogs out of the main room.

In all honesty, I think I'd be too ashamed to post this, it's not her job to entertain the dog :eek:

I really don't think that aggression is the issue here, if the dog were aggressive, he wouldn't have waited until your child was 2 to give a warning nip :rolleyes:

11. hazelkatseyez

-Blank Post-

#11 hazelkatseyez, Aug 13, 2009
  12. caelsgirl

caelsgirl PetForums Junior

Hi there,

I have two boys 15 months apart, and two dogs, I live in a two up two down semi and I have no problem constantly supervising! The dogs are NEVER allowed in my boys room, and if i have to go to the loo the boys go and play in their room and the dogs are left behind a babygate in the kitchen! A babygate is a godsend and if you have a toddler you should already have one! It's not the dogs fault and it is not aggression he is showing, it's pure frustration of being pulled and prodded about! I'm sure you would snap if your child was like that towards yourself! I know i would! everytime my boys even think about doing anything mean to my dogs I ask them how they would feel if i did that to them, surprisingly enough it works! There is no fix for this it's just common sense NEVER to leave a child alone with a dog! Ask anyone.

Sorry if i have offended:)

13. hazelkatseyez

-Blank Post-

#13 hazelkatseyez, Aug 13, 2009
  14. caelsgirl

We wasn't insisting you kept them seperate but common sense prevails that children and dogs should be supervised when in play! you think those dogs that attacked and maimed young children where being supervised???

putting a dog behind a stairgate is not cruel! And i am offended by your suggestion that i am being cruel in doing so!

15. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Its not cruel to put a dog behind a baby gate or in a crate/playpen geez. It's just common sense to supervise 2 dogs and a small child.

16. davehyde

davehyde Banned

mrthinks she was a bit to touchy there.

maybe she didnt like the truth eh?

i can just imagine a 2 yr olds idea of playing with the dogs lol. they dont have a clue at that age about respect etc theyre just too young.

my neice once threw her mums friends chi down the stairs cos she thought he'd like to fly.

luckily it was ok but she wont be having a dog dor a while.

17. caelsgirl

I think her problem was that she was realising that it was her own fault, not the child or the dog! Some ppl just can't take the truth!:eek:ut:

18. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Another example of irresponsible people owning dogs!

DO NOT LEAVE CHILDREN AND DOGS UNSUPERVISED

How much bloody clearer can you make it to people.

Once again, it will be the poor dog who suffers! :cursing:

19. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Oh Dear!
    As far as I can see you have been given good advice,i.e crating or the use of babygates etc.

Common sense needs to be applied,no child should EVER be left unattended with a dog!
    I have two dogs and three kids,never have they been left alone together nor will they.Look at the death's of children killed by dogs,the most recent ones were down to lack of common sense and these dogs were left alone with children.

This could happen to your daughter,all it takes is a split second....it's too late for if's and but's then.

It's not cruel to seperate your dog and daughter if you can't supervise,what would be cruel is if the dog did severly attack your daughter,through ignorance on your part and the dog paid the ultimate price with his life.

If you can't seperate them for half an hour then I personally think they should be rehomed.

20. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

calm down - its hardly irresponsible to go and get a cuppa whlie eveythings hunkydory round the gaff now is it?
    Things happen all the time that are totally our of our control, its not being irresponsible - its called the learning process hency why she is asking what the deal is as regards her dog.
    chillax Goodvic:eek:ut:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice