Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My dog bit my daughter

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by joanne79, Apr 15, 2011.

1. joanne79

joanne79 PetForums Junior

Hi everyone,

Well as the title says my 8 month old miniature poodle bit my 2 year old yesterday. I'm not sure what to think about it to be honest. We went to the caravan for a few days and Sonny became very growly with the kids. Obviously being in a caravan you are very much on top of each other and sonny couldn't really get away from the kids. No matter where I put his bed the kids had to walk past to get anywhere in the caravan. My 2 year old was getting in his face and I told her off a couple of times as he was growling at her. Anyway before I knew it he had bitten her arm. Now I have to say it was a half hearted bite (left 2 little marks from K9's) but a bite all the same. I'm so upset about it and not sure what to think. Any advice please?

Joanne

2. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

I have to agree with Hawksport. You should have stepped in quicker, next time the dog warns then you should move your kid out of the way.

3. joanne79

Thanks for your replies. I realise I should have acted quicker and very much regret not but should i be worried about the fact that he's started growling a lot at the kids?

Joanne

4. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Totally agree to. Dog was unsettled in a strange place and pushed to a limit.

Lesson learned all round ;)

This has happened to me so i am not preaching, and i very quickly had to learn to amnage the kids better and my kids had to VERY quickly learn the boundaries.

2 is tough becaue they aren't quite at the age of really undertanding so you will need to be vigilant.

I would keep them eperate for a bit, maybe a light houseline on the dog so you dont have to stress too much about who is where when and how and accidents cant occur.

Dogs are dogs at the end of the day and whilst they shouldn't bite sometimes when pushed they do and its kind of our job to reduce as much as possible the risk of this happening.

5. wiley80

wiley80 Guest

I have had to step in a few times when my 3 yr old nephew comes around...he tugs on the dogs ears,take food out of their mouths and just generally torments them,this has resulted in him being nipped a couple of times...his mum normally tells me to lock my dogs out of the way when she comes but i refuse...i have told her if she controls her son then there is no need for me to control my dogs...the growl is a warning,end of!!! :rolleyes::

6. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

You are fortunate to have a dog that will give a warning, some would just bite so please respect the growling(warning) your daughter is very young but do try to teach her what the noise means.

7. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Is the dog crate trained?
    When the kids are a bit hyper and in her face she'll have a safe place to go and teach the kids never to touch or go in/near her crate.
    I think positive training would be good as well - when she is calm around the kids reward her.
    She needs to be able to move away from the kids when she is uncomfortable - giving her a den (cover the crate with a balnket) to go into would be a good way - sounds like she tried everything to tell the kids to leave her alone but they weren't listening.

8. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

When your all relaxing in the caravan could the dog not have its bedin the bedroom out of the way? (If the caravan has one seperate bedroom) If it doesnt ignore me hehe.

The main thing to remember is your dog has not turned into a vicious killer overnight and is not now going to maul your children at any given second.

I think as previous posters said, it wa sa strange environment, cramped and he gave a warning which your daughter ignored (To be fair she is only 2 im not suggesting she is some sort of a horror child hehe :D). But the growl was your dogs warning of 'Im not happy' and after the first growl you should move him away from the situation.

I would try not to panic and move forward from this incident and next time your in the caravan try to give him some more space if there is a way.

9. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

my kids have grown up with dogs and one thing i have always said to them if you wind the dog up adn she warns you adn you dont leave her alone and you git Bitten TUFF your fault.

All 4 of the kids learnt the hard way. They were told time and time again to leave the dogs alone as they grew up but once bitten the knew the boundries. The dog did get a look to say you were bad but i never told the dogs off.

just watch that bit more closely. but i do agree with Hawksport

10. Think you have put your finger on the problem! dogs and children in a confined space, Child getting (in yor words) in dogs face! I am assuming that you never saw what actually happened , could have been that your 2yo pulled him, stood on him, or any other host of things which caused him to react and bite on instinct , as you say it was not a full blown bite. PErsonally would try and give the dog its own space - and if at all possible make that area out of bounds to the 2 yo - I do know that could be harder then it sounds, but it is doable!

11. as would I:D:D:D

12. mushymouth

mushymouth PetForums Senior

My daughter is 3 and my dog growls at her when my daughter is getting in her face. I physically move my daughter away and tell her that roxy is telling you she wants to be left alone or she wants you to stop. Some people have dogs that will let kids do anything and not bat a eyelid however most of us don't therefore you need to give the dog it's own space away from the kids.
    And the dog was in a strange environment also so could have been a bit tetchy...

13. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

Have to agree with Hawksport, I would not be amused if someone got in my face constantly bugging me, tugging me etc etc and although I can understand your concern after the incident for your children you need to look at this from your dogs point of view as well and make sure your children respect your dog in every way and make sure he does have a place to go and chill if he wants. If in a caravan do you take a stake thing to put in the ground outside so maybe he can have a run around and even a chew, some alone time without the noise of the kiddies?? And some space away from the inside of the van.

14. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Just a thought for next time you go caravanning, what about a longish tether outside the van, dog can mooch about (ours loved sleeping under the truck when we was camping) if you put it in the right place and its long enough the dog can maybe come up into the van a bit if it wants to be with you but "escape" outside if it wants to.

It takes a bit of getting used to but they soon do, this i what we do with Oscar at the chalet now and he loves the whole inside and out thing :)

15. joanne79

Hi everyone,

Thanks again for all your replies. I agree with all that's been said and I do think the fact that he was in a confined space was part of the problem. When we are at home, his bed is in the utility room and if things get too much he has somewhere to go, he didn't have this option whilst we were at the caravan. I guess If i'm honest, part of me is slighty hurt that he opted to bite. I'm sure when my daughter gets older it will be easier to make her understand the do's and don't of dogs (I've had no problems with my older daughter) and obviously in the mean time be a bit more vigilant with her.

Thanks

16. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

I think you should go and see a behaviourist with your dog and get professional advice, because you can't really get proper advice from a forum about aggression issues :) On this forum people can be very pro dog and anti children so may blame the child if anything happens (not aimed at anyone in particular in this thread, just my own opinion). As none of us were there when it happened we cannot truly say why the dog bit or offer accurate advice. It would be better in the long run to seek professional help so the dog and your children can have a long and happy life together :)

#16 metaldog, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  17. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

I think I would take great reassurance from the fact that, even when pushed into a reaction, your dog displayed impeccable bite inhibition.

From this you can see that, even if management breaks down again at some point in the future, you can rely on your dog to give a measured response.

An upsetting incident but one which, on reflection, has more positive than negative to it.:)

18. leashedForLife

if the dog does not yet have a proper airline-approved shipping crate, that's the first thing i'd do: get one! :lol:

it only needs to be big-enuf to enter, U-turn & exit - if the dog can U-turn, they can get up, change sides & lie-down.
    crates are for lying in, not standing or jumping in - so even a small dog should have an apropos crate, not a suite. ;)

then i'd teach the dog to love that crate... :001_tt1:
    and teach the kids that the dog's bedroom is absolutely, positively off-limits - that goes for grown-ups, too,
    i don't care if the dog broke great-great-grandmother's 1685 crystal goblet in shards... if the dog flees to their crate,
    or is in their crate - they are home free; Let it go, everyone needs a security blanket & a safe-place.
    punishment after the fact is pointless & only teaches the dog that U are sometimes insane, & cannot be trusted -
    a disastrous lesson.

if visitors - adults or kids - interfere with the dog in the crate or try to keep the dog away from the crate, smack them
    on the buttocks [lightly for any child, firmly for those over-12-YO, sharply for those over 18-YO*] & give a time-out,
    based on their age & the severity of the violation; adult humans should be given 24-hours away from the dog
    to consider their sins thoughtfully, & repent.

*: Sarcasm alert! :p i don't really want anyone slapped - it's metaphorical, i mean
    a verbal reprimand only - tailored to the age & comprehension of the human receiving it.

19. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

Are you saying that you don't think the OP should seek the help of a behaviourist?

20. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

I prefer the term a "verbal kicking" :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice