Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

my dog barks in the car

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by ebonymooncats, Aug 2, 2009.

1. ebonymooncats

ebonymooncats PetForums Junior

hiya

was wondering whether anyone has any advice or has experienced this thereselves. I have a male (neutered), yellow labrador who is just over 3 years old. I am having alot of trouble with him when taking him out in the car. As soon as he knows he is going out he gets very over excited and starts jumping around barking and I cant stop him. It makes taking him out very difficult for me especially as I have other dogs (who are very well behaved). I am normally very frustrated and annoyed by the time I have got him to the front door. If I take him in the car he normally pants and barks the whole way to our destination and I cant stop him obviously its dangerous as he puts me off of driving and will not listen to me. He will still do it if someone else is in the car with me but alot worse when im on my own. He does it whether my other dogs arethere or not. Once we are at the park he is as good as gold and cannot work out why he is doing it. It making it a nightmare to walk hm and only seems to be getting worse. Any advice?

thanks

2. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

Join the club :)

3. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Is he going in the car to get to a walk, this is important because it is excitement as he knows what is at the end of the car ride, hoiw often do you go in the car without him if very little then i know its a pain but get the car keys go out leave him at home and drive out even if its only for a few mins or pull off the drive and stay there. When taking him out a pain again but get him in, have a command for him to stop, he doesnt stop so drive back home, get him out and keep repeating this or take him somewhere to walk on the lead without going in the car then try again the next walk time.

Allowing him to bark all the way to the park then getting him out and walking him is actually rewarding him. Hard work, frustrating i know but he will get the idea.

4. aurora

aurora PetForums Senior

suggest large crate in back of car and cover it with a bblanket, the majority of dogs be quiet and sleep when in the car then. My frind as a new puppy and we take it to training classes the 1st 2 times we went all he did was bark all the way there and back, did my head in. so suggest she put a blanket over the cage and hey presto, my ears are recovering, last week he was quiet on the journey only barked once we arrived and got him out:)

5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I stopped my dog barking in the car simply by putting one of those tube-type nylon mesh muzzles on her. She couldn't bark with it on. After a few journeys with it on, I started off without it on - if she barked, she got one warning, then if she barked again I would pull the car over and put it on her, nothing said (she was tied on the front passenger seat in a dog harness). It took less than three weeks to totally cure the problem, there has been no recurrence.
    The only drawback was the necessity to devise routes where I would be able instantly to pull the car over safely (when she barked) and put the muzzle on her, so had to avoid roads with lots of traffic, stopping restrictions or other hazards.

6. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

distractions! stuffed kongs etc work well. barking in the car is usually excitement or stress, its unnatural for a dog to travel in the car and can be quite scary. If it ios stress Iv found that treats such as the kong/bone work as long as its only something they get when inh the car and no other time, that wayy they see the car as a good experiance because they get something out of it. if its excitement chances are food will still shut them up.

7. ebonymooncats

ebonymooncats PetForums Junior

thanks for all your suggestions will definatly try them and let you know how i get on. xx

8. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Welcome to the club!! I have 5 dogs who get walked twice a day and every journey to their walks my Poodle x shouts the roof off!! I honestly have tried every trick in the book (and I'm a qualified dog trainer so believe me I've tried everything!!!) but I cannot stop him. I drive a van with crates in the back so he's completely safe and I'm not bothered by it but at 6.30 on a wet windy morning when you just want to go back to bed to have a poodle yodelling down your ear isn't the most delightful start to the day!!!:rolleyes:

I'll list what I've tried so hopefully one thing might work for you:

Cover the crate
    Give him toys to chew
    Put him in a separate crate to the other dogs.
    Put him in the same crate as my calmest dog.
    Get passenger to spray water at him.
    Get passenger to distract him with squeaky toy.
    Get passenger to shush him.
    Take him in the van alone.
    Take him in and out of the van without going anywhere.
    Take him for LONG trips in the van without it resulting in a walk.
    Sit in the drivers seat and cry 'please stop barking' :blushing:
    Shout back at him. (Pure frustration one day so I just shouted everytime he barked...he just barked louder!!!)
    Sit him on the front seat (obviously with secure harness).

I'm sure there were other things I've tried with no success. I guess I've just learnt to zone him out now. It is easier having a van and not a normal car because at least I know he's secure.

Good Luck!

9. badabing

badabing PetForums Junior

have you tried getting your dog to calm down before you leave the house and then maybe getting him to sit calmly before gettin into the car? Try getting him to sit in the front passenger footwell, at least i think thats what you call it. Good luck.;)

10. davehyde

davehyde Banned

could it be your driving?:D:001_tt2::cool:

11. Deb

Deb PetForums Senior

my pup barks when she is in the garden at the guinea pigs when they are in their run and at everyone that walks past. my neighbour has a new baby so i am keen to try to stop Cassie barking for fear of disturbing the baby. Any ideas??

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice