Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My dog ate a chicken satay stick!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Jodie Russell, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Jodie Russell

Jodie Russell PetForums Newbie

Hi guys, so last night my 13 year old border terrier Bruce ate a chicken satay stick, I stupidly gave him it thinking he would bite off the chicken and he swallowed the whole thing! The sharp end was covered by the chicken and the other end was blunt, but I am worried sick. Phoned the E-vet and they said he should be seen but I know form experience vets can often assume the worst for dogs. Because of the age of Bruce and the fact he has a heart murmur we wouldn't take him to undergo an operation as most likely it could end up worse for him. He is my pride and joy and I am so worried. So far he seems fine, eating and pooping as normal but no sign of anything in his poo. Immediately after he ate the stick I fed him a piece of white bread to try and help digest the stick. Is there anything else I can do and does anyone have any re-assurance for me from similar situations :(?

Love a very worried owner x

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I'm not just sure what a satay stick is.

Was the chicken raw or cooked?

3. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

I would personally take the advice of the vet and take him in. The stick isn’t going to dissolve and could perforate his insides. I hope that he is ok.

4. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Any sign of vomiting, inability to poop or lethargy, I would consider an emergency at this point.

Otherwise, I would stay close to him through the night and let your Vet see him tomorrow.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. SingingWhippet

SingingWhippet PetForums VIP

He really needs to be seen and I'd go sooner rather than later. If he's going to need surgery (which seems very likely if he's swallowed it whole) then it's far better to have it done before there's an issue rather than when it becomes an emergency.

6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I too would get him checked and possibly x-rayed.

The stick won’t just dissolve - it has to negotiate the turns and twists of the intestines and could perforate them which would be very serious.

Calvine likes this.
  7. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

Please take him in ASAP.
    It's not going to get digested or break down enough to be safe. If he tries to regurgitate it, it could likely do damage anywhere on the way back up, as well as the same thing happening if it tries to go out the other way.

My fox terrier ate a wooden skewer five years ago.
    Granted a bit bigger than a satay stick, but after being fobbed off by the vets (who should have wanted him seen, like yours) it pieced right through his abdomen and honestly it's pretty much a miracle that was the only damage it did.

Its absolutely not a wait and see situation.
    Please take him in.

Potentially upsetting photo below

FB_IMG_1611567199617.jpg
    FB_IMG_1611566903447.jpg

#7 BlueJay, Jan 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  8. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Does wood show up on x-rays?
    Definitely a vet check, though.

Calvine likes this.
  9. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Like a big toothpick.

Rafa likes this.
  10. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

The problem is it might not try and pass through immediately and then it could pierce his stomach or intestines at any time. Are you sure he swallowed it whole and did not chew it up. I am sure you are berating yourself but I do wonder what made you think he would pick the chicken off it. Not quite sure what the vet will do as surgery is a bit dramatic if it was not going to cause a problem and would it show on an xray so they could pinpoint where to operate. I would not leave it though, go to the vet today and discuss it.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  11. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Chicken satay is yummy. It comes on a stick like a kebab.

Rafa likes this.
  12. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Not reliably, I believe but knowing exactly the shape and area might help to spot it. Ultrasound might show it up?

13. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Ah, I see.

I mistakenly thought the dog had eaten a cooked chicken bone. Didn't realise it was wood.

Blitz likes this.
  14. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

davidc, Burrowzig and Lurcherlad like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice