UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DD has started her 2 weeks experiance for school at the local vets. Today being her first day she was shown equipment etc, cleaned xray room, assisted vet with bandage on dog, watched micro chipping and cuddled kittens lol. She was given advice on handleing animals and what signs to look for etc on behaviour.......She been told that in a few days she can watch minor procedures in theatre.

She very happy and looking forward to next 2 weeks:D All good at the moment and she's determined to do her vet nurse training.....................lets hope she feels the same next week lol :p

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
I'm going to try and do my work experience in my local vets as I heard when I was in the waiting room someone saying to a receptionist a lad was on the phone about work experience for an interview; so I wonder whether it's through Trident and if it is I'll hope to be placed there next year for mine!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well its still going ok but she has dealt with a few upsets......GSD pts yesterday and 2 guinea pigs today. Although she wasnt present when done she had seen the animals with vet and saw the owners afterwards:( They did explain things to her so she aware of reasons why but i think it has confirmed her reasons why she doesnt want to be a vet and stick to vet nurseing.............she doesnt want the responsability to make decission to pts any animal.

Mind we have had a chat about ambitions and hers is to open a dog hotel:p

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Ha! That's my reason for pursuing a vet nurse degree, rather than vet, along with not having the grades. I did vet nurse as work exp through trident, almost 4 years ago now!!

I've recently applied for a FT vet nurse assistant job, as I can't apply for uni until Sept now... grrr!!

Glad she is enjoying it :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hi Wooliwoo
Glad she is having a good time and its a big eye opener for students who come on work experience and get to experience what the VN role is all about!
However she shouldnt feel upset about being upset when the sad things come along - and i think its very important part of being a VN- if you dont get upset then i do believe that you no longer care so it is a very natural emotion.Hope you dont mind but would like to share a case that I had to deal with today - i still feel awful!
Everyone knows in our profession that putting animals to sleep is a big part of our job and in the whole you can usually distance yourself from the situation.Most of the time it isnt so bad as you know it is best for the patient as they are no longer suffering- however there are occasions where this isnt the case.Today we had a call from a client who said their dog had bitten their 5 yr old and from the way the client was speaking the dog had a few episodes like this and who knows what happened in the situation....you just never do and you have to respect the clients wishes.So I had to get everything ready for the PTS draw up drugs etc.
The vet brought the dog through the back bright happy tail wagging so i said hello to him to make friends with him and he was great.But then we got ready for the euthanasia and i was holding him and then he started to physically shake as if he was scared - not through aggression as he showed none of that to us - which is often the case in these situations and which is why it makes it SOOO much more difficult to deal with it.I tried to reassure him as much as possible and cuddle him and talk to him etc but i felt so awful that to just think he was scared and knew what was going to happen!On this occasion i couldnt control my emotions and i did cry as i felt awful for what we had done.The owner wasnt there to comfort him it must have been awful.He did pass away peacefully with no struggle etc.I hope i havent waffled on-just not been a good day!:frown:
I hope she gets what she wants to put of this placement and it really will help her decide if this is the career she wants.:D

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:( oh Dinks thats so sad, like you say its easier to deal with if you know the dog is suffering etc and its for the best but must have been hard for you today especially not knowing the facts...................its times like that we could do with Dr Dolittle who will have all the answers:frown:

Emma seems ok as we spoke about things etc and at the moment she still intent on nurseing and has taken advise from the V nurses.........we have a college 10 miles away offering a new course or its off to Sparshot which means leaveing home at 6am............luckily a few have done both courses so shes getting info she needs. The vets are being good as well and let her into clinics and tell her whats what etc

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Today we had a call from a client who said their dog had bitten their 5 yr old and from the way the client was speaking the dog had a few episodes like this and who knows what happened in the situation....you just never do and you have to respect the clients wishes.So I had to get everything ready for the PTS draw up drugs etc.
The vet brought the dog through the back bright happy tail wagging so i said hello to him to make friends with him and he was great.But then we got ready for the euthanasia and i was holding him and then he started to physically shake as if he was scared - not through aggression as he showed none of that to us - which is often the case in these situations and which is why it makes it SOOO much more difficult to deal with it.I tried to reassure him as much as possible and cuddle him and talk to him etc but i felt so awful that to just think he was scared and knew what was going to happen!On this occasion i couldnt control my emotions and i did cry as i felt awful for what we had done.The owner wasnt there to comfort him it must have been awful.He did pass away peacefully with no struggle etc.I hope i havent waffled on-just not been a good day!:frown:
:sad: I would never be able to do your job! Just reading that made me feel sick for that dog! I have so much respect for you!

I hope she likes it. I know it can be rewarding as well. You just gotta look at the good bits! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't realise Sparsholt did a VN course... Or if they do I'm guessing its a FdSc, as thats only 30 mins drive from me.
They do FdSc and nvq courses which is great as a begining as the real training cant start till 18 i think due to xray/drugs etc (according to info from carrers adviser)

Today em text to say she will be watching an op:eek: a doggie with a lump on the spleen............she isnt bothered by ops on tv but wonder if its different 1st hand:eek:

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well the op she observed wasnt minor after all it turned into a splenectomy:eek: She did well though and even helped with the monitoring equipment.
They were impressed how well a 15 year old handled the sight of it all..........the whole insides had to come out:eek6: and quite a bit of blood.

She has been ok about it and learnt a few things i think and im relly pleased the vets take time to explain stuff etc as im sure its enough to scramble the brain if you didnt have it explained:scared:

·
Registered
425 Posts
They do FdSc and nvq courses which is great as a begining as the real training cant start till 18 i think due to xray/drugs etc (according to info from carrers adviser)

Today em text to say she will be watching an op:eek: a doggie with a lump on the spleen............she isnt bothered by ops on tv but wonder if its different 1st hand:eek:
Wooliwoo - The RCVS are currently revising the VN training - please check again with all the colleges that are offering VN training as the latest news was that they were lowering the age of entry to 16yr.
It is difficult but the good days more than make up for the bad days.:D

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DD.....Darling daughter-----or dreaded daughter at times lol:p

She had a bit of a rough day today ......a cocker spanial had what looked like fluid in its tum (found on ultra sound) so she went in theatre with vet to investigate but the fluid turned out to be a tumour and the stomach was covered too so vet said unfair to wake dog up and pts.

I do think at times they forget she is only 15 and although its experiance for her it can be difficult at times. I do make sure i spend time talking about her experiance's and try to find the posatives in the situation.

She is enjoying her time though which is the important thing.

·
Registered
229 Posts
My son will shortly be doing work experience again! he did it in February but has since moved schools (loooooong story) and the school he has moved to has there work experience in July so he is having to do it again.

Last time he worked in a reptile shop, this time we are trying to get him a placement in a vets (he wants to be a reptile vet at the moment although last week he did mention being in a Ndubz tribute band lol)

Hope your daughter has a postive experience and enjoys it! its so good for them to have a couple of weeks out of school and get a taster of a job!

·
Registered
708 Posts
I hope your daughter continues to enjoy her work experience placement, it sounds as if she's in a busy practice with a varied case-load. Still can't believe I've been qualified for nearly 5 years now-it's a great job, it has it's depressing days, and days when you just go home and cry but like Dinks said, these are outweighed by the good days!
Dinks-have you had any students on the new NPL pathway yet? All those hours spent doing my A1 are now redundant lol!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.