Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My corn just threw up this (pictures)

Discussion in 'Snakes' started by fRostiE, Jul 22, 2009.

1. fRostiE

fRostiE PetForums Newbie

Hey all,

Im a little bit worried - had the snake for 6 weeks now... he just came out of his hide, wondered around a bit then stopped mid tank in a nice open space and started convulsing from tail to mouth... ending in him throwing up this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

apologies for the quality of the photo's they were taken on my phone as i couldnt find my camera quickly... I removed it from the viv within 5 minutes of it happening...

any help identifying this would be much appreciated, as well as advice on if anything needs doing to help him out.

bit about the snake:
    approx 2 years old - July 07
    Male - Anery A
    Feeds - 1 small mouse every 5 days (is due a feed tomorrow)

Thanks,

Matt

2. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

looks like mouse to me :)

He might need feeding every 7days rather then 5days it might be hes not having time to digest the mouse before hes being fed another one

I wouldnt be worried if hes ok in himself and acting normally i also wouldnt worry if he doesnt eat his mouse tomorrow

If you are worried those see if there is an vet who knows a little about snakes and see if he can just put your mind at rest :)

3. ....zoe....

....zoe.... PetForums VIP

i would say its what ^^^ above said.

at two years old he is prob better off have less meals. for example 1 mouse every 2 weeks may be better.

snakes can get obese if fed too much and if not placed into hibernation

have u ever hibernated him/her ???

may be a good idea.

many hatchlings will do this as they tend to eat as many mice as they can fit in and then find they cant digest them all and sooo bring them back up.
    recent boa hatchlings that i work with done this, wasnt too nice to clean up the next day lol.

i would worry about him as long as he seems fine in himself, just provide feeds less often.

hope tht helps x

4. fRostiE

fRostiE PetForums Newbie

hey,

firstly thanks... nice to get a quick response from people who clearly know more than i :)

i was at an animal place recently and manager to collar one of the reptile handlers and he mentioned that a snake of that age and length (1 meter or so) should be eating 1-2 mice every 5 days...

he was eating 1 fuzzy every 7 days... but then i upped the food size and regularity to small mouse every 5... guess its just too much for him to handle, but this is the first up chuck since the change (1 month ago).

I'll try him on 1 mouse every week... will also give him chance to recover from this as i wont feed him tomorrow now.

never hibernated him - I'm not sure what that involves or what the benefits are... is there some kind of guide? I've had a corn before and never hibernated that one either.

Cheers,

Matt

5. Baby Bordie

Baby Bordie PetForums VIP

If he had his mouse 4 days ago, i doubt it would be a mouse, unless you have held him in the past few days to irratate him?

6. ....zoe....

....zoe.... PetForums VIP

well i always found that with my corn snake, it would take her around 3 days to digest the mouse to the point where she had a poop.

7. Baby Bordie

But then im sure it wouldnt look anything like that? More decomposed.... How did the "Thing" feel? Squidgy? Hard? Furry? Boney? More details more help! Thanks.

8. fRostiE

fRostiE PetForums Newbie

hes not been handled since his last feed, i haven't had time... but we can rule out irritation through handling.

the temperature in his viv hasn't gone below 72 or above 80 in the entire week.

i cut the item removed open and spread the contents out a bit... no bones or hair that i could see... it looked a bit paste... like congealed milk with clear liquid around it.

it was entirely squidy, and didnt smell particularly offensive, i've not seen the snake since (he went back into his hide after wondering around following this event)... will check on him tonight when i get back from work.

9. Missymoo

Missymoo PetForums Senior

I dont think thats a mouse!! i would just keep an eye on him and she how he is after his next meal xx

10. jackson

jackson PetForums VIP

If your corn has regurged, the only thing it can be is a partially digested mouse. If it regurged 4 days after a feed, then that is pretty much what is would look like by then.

You should leave your snake for another 10-14 days before trying to feed it again to give the stomach time to settle. Feeding before then will likely cause another regurge. When you do next feed it, offer something smaller, depending on how big your snake is, maybe a fuzzy or large pinky, and then gradually increase the size of the prey item each time.

What does your snake weigh? Weight is a good guide for prey size. An 07 corn should really be on a large/extra large mouse every 7-10 days by now, but if it has only been on small mice, then it might not be very well grown, and you certainly can't increase it's prey size yet. I have 08 corns that are on large mice already, and they are not fat.

Low temps are the most likely cause of regurge here, I think, and too frequent feeding. A corn should have a hotspot of 28-30 degrees C, which is 82.4 - 86 degrees F.

Edited to add, you do not need to brumate (hibernate, well sort of) your corn at all. People often do so when they want to breed, as it encourage sbreeding behaviour, but you don't even have to do that.

11. Baby Bordie

But if it has no bones, or fur? Im sure that wouldnt be a mouse?

12. jackson

jackson PetForums VIP

It has no bones or fur because it is partially digested and all the bones and fur have been digested.

I have seen regurged mice/rats come out in all sorts of states.

13. fRostiE

fRostiE PetForums Newbie

hi,

thanks for the advice,

i left it a further 2 days than his normal feeding and fed him last night... he wasnt particularly interested but eventually took the very small mouse i provided him.

how can i increase the hotspot of the tank to ~80? The heat mat i currently have is 1/3 the size of the floorspace of the tank and is on constantly... the thermometer is mid way up the tank just on the edge of the hotspot, currently reads 74. I'm not sure how to further increase the temperature of the tank as the current head source is on max already!

Thanks,

Matt

14. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

same here lovely sight not lol!

same as poo's sometimes they come out with a furry cover as they havnt digested all the fur

15. jackson

jackson PetForums VIP

You could get a new heat mat with a higher wattage, or try putting some tinfoil underneath the heatmate to reflect the heat back.

However, I doubt you're getting accurate temperatur ereadings. You need a digital thermometer, and the probe need to be on the floor of the tub, directly over the heatmat, so you get a hotspot temp reading. That should be around 30C

16. fRostiE

fRostiE PetForums Newbie

I'm afraid he's just been sick again :-( dispute leaving it a full week and feeding him a very very small small mouse... im going to get some pinkies for his next feed... would people suggest 1 or 2? and how long would people suggest i leave him to settle his stomach before i try and feed him again?

I'm was thinking of leaving it 2 weeks now before i try and feed him again... he was fed 4 days ago... im not with him at the moment but my girlfriend says its darker in colour than the one photographed above and really does have a nasty smell to it.

Please advise!

17. jackson

jackson PetForums VIP

Please follow the above advice, and yes, a pinky would be a good start, and then gradually increase the size of the food item.

Also, you must address the temperature issues.

Without doing these things your corn will keep regurging and eventually die.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice