Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My collie starting agility:

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by YogiFizz, Jan 14, 2012.

1. YogiFizz

YogiFizz PetForums Member

Got my Border collie Fizz booked in to start agility classes :) im so looking forward to taking her :D

2. Autaven

Autaven PetForums Member

Good luck!! I'm sure you will love it I know it's completely addictive. I run and compete with my Cavaliers and we're at shows most weekends camping and go to training twice a week.

Make sure you check out the sub-forum on dog activities and let us know how she gets on!

3. YogiFizz

Thank you, im hoping to get my fizz in at some shows and that lol shes such a good little girl she will be a year old next month.

4. Autaven

Autaven PetForums Member

Great age to start. I'm unsure where you're from but for KC shows dogs have to be over 18 months to compete so you could be more than ready for competing once she gets to that age :)

5. YogiFizz

Im from Somerset down in the South west :D

6. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

I've just booked to go back to agility next month and i'm sooooooooooo looking forward to it. Jed has been doing it for 5 years but we had a break last year and i've started itching to do it again.

7. speug

speug PetForums VIP

we start back in a couple of weeks - I'm having serious withdrawal symptoms and every time I'm driving anywhere near the field Angus gets all excited then really subdued when we don't turn off down the right road.

The important thing to remember is that it is supposed to be fun - if you find yourself getting stressed over anything then stop and chill - if you get good enough to compete then you will have fun - if you don't then you can still have fun - it's all about your dog learning new things and meeting new friends and enjoying itself - anything else is a bonus

8. missnaomi

missnaomi PetForums VIP

We were at agility today...the place we got isn't a club that does competitions, but we have a great time and all thoroughly enjoy it! :)
    Naomi xx

9. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I'm sure you'll both love it.

10. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

We start agility on 14th Feb - can't wait either! We'll have to share notes :cool:

11. Oenoke

Oenoke PetForums VIP

Watch out! Agility and Border Collies are addictive!!! I started 16 years ago (Jan 1996) getting my 1st BC, Boomer, (a 6 month old rescue) and started agility training with him later that year at that time I had a hatchback car, big enough for 1 dog. In 1998, I got a BC pup, Bertie, (the black/white in my sig) and a Freelander, so more room for dogs. Bertie started competing at agility in 2000, where I went to a few day shows, by the next year I had a tent and camped at a few shows and got my next BC, Teagan, (black tri smooth coat in sig). In 2002, my car was caged out (the whole back of my car, back seats folded forward) for the dogs, got a caravan and was going to shows most weekends and a couple of week long ones. In 2006, I got my next BC, Skye, (blue/white in sig). In 2010, I bred my 1st litter of BC pups from Skye from which I kept Star (lilac/white in sig), I qualified for Crufts 2011. This year I will need a new caravan, maybe a bit bigger and thinking about getting a van caged out, so more room for dogs! Planning on next pup winter 2013/14, maybe breed from Skye or Star or maybe buy 1, not sure yet.

12. PennyGC

PennyGC PetForums VIP

Know the feeling - I started out with a GSD (below) and a car, now I have a car, a massive van and caravan and 13 dogs :) We love it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice