Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My cocker puppy ate a grape today should i worry?!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Hugothedog, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Hugothedog

Hugothedog PetForums Newbie

Hi, I'm new to the forum, I have a 10 week old cocker spaniel puppy (around 5lbs) he ate one red/purple grape yesterday and I'm REALLY worried. Everytime I go and see him I cry. PLEASE help I really want to know if he's ok. If anything happens to him I'll poision myself. OH SORRY FOR POSTING TWICE THOUGHT ONE DIDN'T POST XD

2. oliviarussian

oliviarussian Meeoow!

If you are panicking I suggest you phone your vet and ask

Lurcherlad and tabelmabel like this.
  3. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Please call your vet - ideally they could have seen him yesterday and induced vomiting before any harm was done but it's too late for that now. They may want to do something to help his kidneys now.

Edited - was it yesterday or today?

Duggee, O2.0, Torin. and 1 other person like this.
  4. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Yes i agree with @JoanneF - the only way to find out if any damage has been done is to call your vet. There is no point in worrying yourself sick - call the vet and take action.

You and your puppy will both benefit from the call. Good luck!

JoanneF likes this.
  5. teddylion

teddylion PetForums Member

Honestly, I really doubt one grape is going to do anything. A dog I was looking after consumed almost an entire packet of dried apricots. I went online and apparently they contain traces of cyanide that was oh-so-dangerous...phoned an emergency vet, they said they could pump his stomach just in case etc etc...dog was absolutely fine and didn't even have diarrhea. Under his owner's watch he also consumed a packet of chocolate Weetabix (totally fine) and fruit cake (raisins, totally fine).

Same with my cat (twice). Broke into a rubbish bag and consumed a load of chicken bones, I Googled and panicked...he was fine.

Dogs are individuals and yes some do react badly to things like raisins, but a single grape is unlikely to do anything.

6. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

How can you know this? A single grape can kill a dog and this is a puppy. As for you raisin story, my friend's son's jrt consumed a matchbox sized box of raisins and was lucky to survive. Kidneys permanantly damaged.

Dogs are individuals. I will agree with you there.

Duggee, MontyMaude, JoanneF and 3 others like this.
  7. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

One of my childhood dogs ate all the chocolate Christmas tree decs ( minus the foil) She was fine but I would never take chances with my dogs now. We didn't know back then.

HarlequinCat, mrs phas and LinznMilly like this.
  8. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Chocolate is different than grapes.
    We know the toxicity of chocolate, how much, the size of the dog, the likelihood of problems.
    With grapes it's different. We don't yet know what it is that causes the organ damage, we don't know how much, or what the toxic levels or even the toxic compound in grapes is.
    Some dogs don't react to grapes at all, other times one grape can kill a great dane. We don't know which dogs are going to be affected or what the dose that affects them is.

I would not take chances with grapes.

9. teddylion

Raisins are very concentrated. If it was one grape, and it was yesterday, and the dog still hasn't reacted in any way more than 24 hours later, realistically speaking it's unlikely to be dangerous (unlikely, although of course not impossible).

In rare cases a single grape can kill a dog - whether they'd be fine 24 hours after eating it again seems unlikely. If they'd been vomiting I'd be worried. Sounds like a call to the vet would reassure if nothing else.

10. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Is your answer based on evidence backed information or anecdotal only @teddylion ?

As far as i understood it, it can take a minimum of 24hrs after eating grape/s for symptoms to show. I had a quick google search but i cant find anything to support what you're saying here

11. teddylion

pet.md:

Signs of Grape and Raisin Toxicity in Dogs
    The onset of symptoms tends to occur between 12-24 hours after a dog eats grapes. Symptoms of grape toxicity in dogs include:

• Vomiting and/or diarrhea, often within a few hours of ingestion. You may see pieces of grapes/raisins in your dog’s stool or vomit.

https://www.rover.com/blog/can-dogs-eat-grapes:

How Soon After Eating Grapes Can a Dog Get Sick?
    Symptoms may occur immediately or develop over a period of hours.

Wikipedia:

Clinical signs and diagnosis[edit]
    Vomiting and diarrhea are often the first clinical signs of grape or raisin toxicity. They often develop within a few hours of ingestion. Pieces of grapes or raisins may be present in the vomitus or stool. Further symptoms include weakness, not eating, increased drinking, and abdominal pain.

https://www.pets4homes.co.uk/pet-advice/grape-and-raisin-poisoning-and-toxicity-in-dogs.html:

Symptoms of grape or raisin toxicity in dogs
    It is important to be alert to the possibility of grape or raisin toxicity in your dog, as grapes and raisins are so common and readily available, even if you do not keep them within your own household. Symptoms of grape or raisin toxicity in dogs usually develop quickly, and can soon prove serious and critical. Suspected grape or raisin toxicity in dogs is a veterinary emergency, and requires immediate treatment.

#11 teddylion, Oct 15, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  12. teddylion

An update from the poster would be good, hopefully she has spoken to a vet by now.

13. Hugothedog

Hugothedog PetForums Newbie

Ty I called my vet yesterday, and took him over today, she checked him out and said he was fine. He's going back in a week just in case tho

LinznMilly, O2.0, teddylion and 2 others like this.
  14. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm glad that you got your dog checked out by your vet.
    Most dogs will not show symptoms of grape toxicity until the damage has been done...1 grape "shouldn't" cause serious issue but the fact is that we don't know how many grapes are too much, vets will always advise taking the dog in to induce vomiting to reduce the risk of the grapes being absorbed...if in doubt always phone your vet for advice.

LinznMilly and O2.0 like this.
  15. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Thanks for coming back with some information @teddylion - I'm not convinced it supports your confidence in no harm being done which just shows how people can read exactly the same information and take something different away.

Main thing is OPs puppy is fine:)

LinznMilly, teddylion and LittleMow like this.
  16. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

@teddylion - for future reference - from the Merck Veterinary Manual.

”The exact mechanism of toxicity is unknown, although the primary injury appears to be in the proximal renal tubular epithelium. Affected dogs develop anuric renal failure within 72 hr of ingestion of grapes or raisins. A clear dose-response relationship has not been determined”

So the margin between ingestion and evidence of illness can be 72 hours. Vomiting and diarrhoea may occur with consumption of grapes but it is not a good indicator of the presence, or absence, of kidney damage.

Simply not worth taking risks IMO, for anyone who reads in future please take your dog straight to a vet if you are aware of, or suspect, they have eaten grapes or raisins.

Sarah H, lorilu, LittleMow and 8 others like this.
  17. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

lorilu and JoanneF like this.
  18. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Kidney damage just doesn't work like that.
    There are no symptoms until massive damage has been done.

19. Rottsmum

Rottsmum PetForums Member

My younger Rottie, Mylo, ate a small packet of raisins (like a kids lunch box pack) which he got from god only knows where and ended up at the emergency vets for 24 hours of treatment, costing us over £1000! The vets said that the toxicity depends on the dog's sensitivity rather than the quantity ingested so a JRT could eat a packet of grapes of raisins and potentially show no ill effect and a newfie could eat just one and it could kill them. Scary stuff!

Sarah H, Torin., MontyMaude and 4 others like this.
  20. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

That's exactly what my friend's son's dog got hold of @Rottsmum - one of those small matchbox sized raisin packs. That dog was a jrt and nearly died. It did survive but with permanent kidney damage. It is scary stuff indeed!

Lurcherlad, Rottsmum and JoanneF like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice