Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

My Caucasian ovcharka gets scared on the road when I walk him

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Gold cheddar, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Gold cheddar

Gold cheddar PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone, the name's Fred, I'm a Nigerian and I'm new here. I have a Caucasian ovcharka and he's 5 months old. Each time I take him on a walk, he makes this cry sound like he's scared of something. I even try to give him treats on the road to ease him but he just rejects it. What do you guys suggest I do about this?

2. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums Senior

I had to google to find out if this was a real breed! If your dog normally takes treats, but is too stressed to take them under these circumstances then in theory you are too close to whatever he's upset by (could be noise, movement, anything really) so he shouldn't be exposed to it if you can avoid the situation, and start desensitisation at a distance which is acceptable to him or where he's not so stressed that he will still take a treat.
    I'm sure there will be a desensitisation 'sticky' on here, or perhaps someone more techno than me can provide a link. I think you probably need a one to one with a behaviourist to figure this one out and decide why the behaviour is occurring and how to tackle it.

3. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

What is this dogs history? have you ever had this breed before?

4. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Is this dog from working lines? What is your purpose with him? Are you walking to socialize?
    It is very incorrect temperament for a CO to be uncomfortable/nervous like this. Are you sure it's nerves?
    Do you know anything about his breeding, perhaps he's completely unused to the city environment? Not that these are really "city" dogs.

In any case, please note the difference between desensitization and sensitization and make sure you are not sensitizing him to new environments and new people. Tread carefully....

PickleRoo likes this.
  5. Gold cheddar

I'm walking to keep him healthy and to socialize him as well.

6. ouesi

ouesi Guest

A 5 month old giant breed doesn't need walks to stay healthy... Does he get any free exercise time?
    How familiar are you with this breed?

7. Gold cheddar

Yes he gets free exercise times.... before I got him, I've had a lot of friends who have COs and I know alot about them. I've noticed he gets scared of vehicles and I think people as well

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice